GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 09:11 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Dead?

Okay, so yesterday I got home from work and parked my car in the garage and turned it off, no abnormal lights on the dash or anything. It didn't beep at me/tell me I left anything on when I got out. The lights are on auto, always are.

Tonight I go to start it and nothing. Nothing comes on, can't lock or unlock with remote. So I'm assuming the battery is dead. I've got it fast charging.

My question is, would the battery have to be old degraded for it to die? Or is there anything I could have left on that would have drained the battery? I didn't do anything differently, I assume everything auto turns off, and it warns you with a beep if you left something on.

The battery could be old but I just got this as a cpo and it hasn't been cold or anything the last week either, no idea why the battery would be dead.

Also, how the **** do you get the battery out of this car? It's trapped in the bracket, which is attached to the car it seems?! Other cars it's much easier to remove the battery. I just charged it inside the car with the hood open.

EDIT - So after fast charging for 2-3 hours the car started, and I let it run in the driveway for 20-25 minutes and then pulled it back in and parked it. So I guess the battery just died...I'm going to look tomorrow for a stamp on the battery for a date, but it's too late tonight.

Depending on what date the battery has on it, would you guys replace it? Like mentioned, it hasn't been cold and the car had only sat for a day since it ran last. If it does need to be replaced, shouldn't this have been something that was done when I got it as a CPO? I know this is considered basic maitenance, but when they do the inspection of the vehicle and see a battery that's due for replacement, shouldn't that be done before it's sold. Only asking as I've had it for 2 months. Maybe I'm being too picky or demanding, just wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks.

Last edited by Trogdor796; 04-16-16 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-17-16, 12:05 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

its a well known issue for the gs to have a dead battery, if ur car is in warranty just bring it in and they will test the battery and see if its dead. when mines dead I jumped the car and bring it to the dealer and they tested and say its a dead battery and changed with no cost.
Old 04-17-16, 12:24 AM
Trogdor796
Rookie

So even if I got it started and running now by fast charging it for a few hours, would you still recommend doing this? I guess this depends if it starts again tomorrow haha.

This is a known issue with the GS though...? What is the cause? Thankfully this happened while I was at home. Could have been much worse if it happened on a trip up north. I should really get one of this portable battery packs that can jump your car for you.
Old 04-17-16, 10:21 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just pick up a 1 Year battery fro WalMart for $50

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VP-35-Battery/47308799

A 5 Year battery is $110

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/16795243
Old 04-17-16, 10:50 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

If I have to buy a battery I will, but I'd like to not do that until I'm sure this battery needs to be replaced. I have yet to look for a date on it, but tomorrow I will. Also the other poster said that lexus will replace it at no cost if it's in warranty. If this is true, why would I buy one? Or are batteries not covered under warranty?

Finally, if I do buy a battery, it won't be from Walmart. I don't shop at or support that store, plus I'd rather get a better quality one from Costco, or directly from my local Toyota or Lexus Dealership, even if it costs a bit more.
Old 04-18-16, 09:26 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trogdor796
Thanks for the reply.

If I have to buy a battery I will, but I'd like to not do that until I'm sure this battery needs to be replaced. I have yet to look for a date on it, but tomorrow I will. Also the other poster said that lexus will replace it at no cost if it's in warranty. If this is true, why would I buy one? Or are batteries not covered under warranty?

Finally, if I do buy a battery, it won't be from Walmart. I don't shop at or support that store, plus I'd rather get a better quality one from Costco, or directly from my local Toyota or Lexus Dealership, even if it costs a bit more.
Walmart battery is made by Johnson Controls. Who makes the Costco battery?
Old 04-18-16, 09:48 AM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Originally Posted by faifai83
Walmart battery is made by Johnson Controls. Who makes the Costco battery?
Last time I looked at batteries from Costco, Toyota, and Lexus, they were Interstate batteries, which I looked up and they are supposed to be very good.

Even if the battery from Walmart is a good one I'd still rather not buy it there. One reason is I don't buy from that store unless I have to. I don't want to support them if I can help it, and the Walmart closest to me is the most run down POS store in the area. Everything around it is nice, but both the customers and employees there make me not want to return.

Grumpy rant over lol. Do you know anything about the CPO covering batteries?
Old 04-18-16, 09:50 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Not sure. Lexus covered the replacement of my battery. It's a rebranded 84 month interstate battery with a lower CCA than my OEM Panasonic.

Original owner. I don't buy used vehicles. Sorry.