GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Turanza tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 03:09 PM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Turanza tires

My '15 (non F-sport) GS came with Bridgestone Turanza ER33 tires from factory. These are one of the most atrocious tires I have experienced in a new car. They were noisy as hell and did send a jolt to the cabin for every road imperfection. My other car, a BMW on 19" run-flat tires, runs smoother and quieter! I could not take them anymore after 1,600 miles. It felt like I purchased a Lexus and getting Chevy-grade NVH.

Based on the positive reviews on this forum, I replaced the tires with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus last week. I purchased the tires from TireRack and got them installed at a local shop for approximately $800 total. Boy, what a difference! The impact harshness is gone - the ride is firm (but not jarring) on uneven surfaces, and the GS just glides along on smooth roads. The tire noise also went down by 20-25% (though I think the 4GS is not exactly a 'Lexus Quiet' sedan, perhaps by design).

Anyway, the bottom line is if you have Turanza ER33 in your GS, I'd highly recommend getting Cinturato P7 A/S next time you get a new set of tires. It will breathe new life into your GS. I am also somewhat disappointed that Lexus went with ER33 in the first place in a premium sedan like GS. Regular car buyers (i.e. those who are not members of ClubLexus) will blame the terrible NVH on Lexus, not understanding that it's not the car's fault - Lexus just went with crappy Bridgestones to save a few bucks.
Old 04-16-16, 05:30 PM
ToddsLex78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsarkar
My '15 (non F-sport) GS came with Bridgestone Turanza ER33 tires from factory. These are one of the most atrocious tires I have experienced in a new car. They were noisy as hell and did send a jolt to the cabin for every road imperfection. My other car, a BMW on 19" run-flat tires, runs smoother and quieter! I could not take them anymore after 1,600 miles. It felt like I purchased a Lexus and getting Chevy-grade NVH.

Based on the positive reviews on this forum, I replaced the tires with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus last week. I purchased the tires from TireRack and got them installed at a local shop for approximately $800 total. Boy, what a difference! The impact harshness is gone - the ride is firm (but not jarring) on uneven surfaces, and the GS just glides along on smooth roads. The tire noise also went down by 20-25% (though I think the 4GS is not exactly a 'Lexus Quiet' sedan, perhaps by design).

Anyway, the bottom line is if you have Turanza ER33 in your GS, I'd highly recommend getting Cinturato P7 A/S next time you get a new set of tires. It will breathe new life into your GS. I am also somewhat disappointed that Lexus went with ER33 in the first place in a premium sedan like GS. Regular car buyers (i.e. those who are not members of ClubLexus) will blame the terrible NVH on Lexus, not understanding that it's not the car's fault - Lexus just went with crappy Bridgestones to save a few bucks.
I had the exact same OEM tire on my '13 GS350. Those tires are junk and I couldn't agree more with your assessment. The Pirelli P7 A/S + tires are amazing and that completely changed the ride and I just purchased them a few days ago. I'm interested in seeing how they perform on wet pavement.
Old 04-16-16, 10:04 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Neil/Todd: Whats your assessment of the grip and handling of the Pirelli's compared to the Bridgestone's you guys replaced?
Old 04-16-16, 11:21 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My ER33s still have 7/32" left after 31k miles and 4+ years! Tread-wear is excellent! ..although hydro-planning resistance is challenging in the rain!
Old 04-16-16, 11:26 PM
neilsarkar
Driver

No change in grip on dry pavement - haven't driven on wet roads yet. I like Pirelli's handling better because with them the GS feels more planted. You can feel the undulations of the road but those does not unsettle the chassis.

Last edited by neilsarkar; 04-17-16 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-17-16, 03:13 AM
GS35014
Driver School Candidate

I hope you also got an alignment with your car after you changed your times. Every time you change tires you should have an alignment to make sure the car is aligned so the tires wear right.
Old 04-17-16, 06:46 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

No change in grip on dry pavement - haven't driven on wet roads yet. I like Pirelli's handling better because with them the GS feels more planted. You can feel the undulations of the road but those does not unsettle the chassis.
Hmmm, the Turanza ER33 is a silicone impregnated green tire to improve fuel economy.
If there is no change in grip on dry pavement, then the new Pirelli Cinturatos which are also silicone impregnated green tires for low rolling resistance must have poor grip too?

Very interesting that you say the Pirelli Cinturatos have less impact than the Turanza ER33's over bumps.
I may have to try them next time.

To my surprise, I've certainly found the 4GS to be much less comfortable and quiet than I originally thought after multiple test drives; I find that this generation of 4GS was designed for dynamics and handling, at the expense of ride and refinement.

IMO, I believe that Lexus should design the GS with at least two completely different suspension settings: a Luxury suspension setting, and an F Sport suspension setting etc.
Pity the Base/Luxury suspension setting was so firm and sporty.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-17-16 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-18-16, 10:12 AM
ToddsLex78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Hmmm, the Turanza ER33 is a silicone impregnated green tire to improve fuel economy.
If there is no change in grip on dry pavement, then the new Pirelli Cinturatos which are also silicone impregnated green tires for low rolling resistance must have poor grip too?

Very interesting that you say the Pirelli Cinturatos have less impact than the Turanza ER33's over bumps.
I may have to try them next time.

To my surprise, I've certainly found the 4GS to be much less comfortable and quiet than I originally thought after multiple test drives; I find that this generation of 4GS was designed for dynamics and handling, at the expense of ride and refinement.

IMO, I believe that Lexus should design the GS with at least two completely different suspension settings: a Luxury suspension setting, and an F Sport suspension setting etc.
Pity the Base/Luxury suspension setting was so firm and sporty.
The cars' grip seems to have improved since dumping those ER33's in my estimation. The ride is also so much smoother. Having said that, I didn't lose that connected-to-the-road element which is nice because I enjoy the sportiness. I didn't want a floating couch. When I wanna be bored or save on gas I hop into my Camry..
Old 04-18-16, 02:31 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

So it sounds like the Cinturatos have both better grip, and a much smoother ride than the Turanza ER33's.

I notice that base model IS's are fitted with ER33's too, while the F Sport is fitted with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050 or something like that, the latter which delivers more grip, but at the expense of ride comfort, noise, and wear.
A year or two ago, I noticed that the F Sport were fitted with something like Bridgestone Pontenzas which probably provided more grip, but were even noisier, and apparently had very short tread life.

I will certainly give the Cinturato P7's a go next time, because I need ride comfort and low noise; I don't really need grip that much.
Old 04-19-16, 11:19 AM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What psi does everyone run on their front andf back tires?
Old 04-19-16, 01:13 PM
faifai83
Instructor

35 psi cold
Old 04-20-16, 11:48 AM
neilsarkar
Driver

Originally Posted by mrkwinning
What psi does everyone run on their front andf back tires?
32/32 cold (1 less than factory recommended)
Old 04-20-16, 02:45 PM
GS35014
Driver School Candidate

I had the Dunlops on my 2014 GS 350 F Sport and it had over 39k and still had 5/32 tread left after i return it to Lexus... The pirelli's P Zero's on the other hand sucks on my MB C63 AMG... Not even 10k miles and it had to be replaced...
Old 04-20-16, 05:39 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS35014
I had the Dunlops on my 2014 GS 350 F Sport and it had over 39k and still had 5/32 tread left after i return it to Lexus... The pirelli's P Zero's on the other hand sucks on my MB C63 AMG... Not even 10k miles and it had to be replaced...
What were your psi compared to the manufacturer recommendation?

How did you drive your C63?
Old 04-20-16, 09:34 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 415 Likes on 263 Posts

The GS needs some new rubber and I had the Cinturato P7s AS on my 3G TL, they were great tires. Looking at those for the GS, hopefully the local America's Tire has them in stock.

Quick Reply: I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Turanza tires