GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Weird AC Setting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 04:15 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird AC Setting?

Hey, so when I press auto(physical button) and have my temp at HI or 85, it turns on the AC as well. Anyone know why this is? I thought auto was supposed to adjust everything to get it to that temp. AC is also on when I hit the front defrost(physical button).

This is on a 2013 Premium with rear seat controls, and S Flow and 3 Zone is off, if that makes a difference.

Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere, I'm still pretty new to all this coming from a 99 GS 300!
Old 04-06-16, 05:21 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A/c is always going to come on....it's the compressor and it will always turn on to dehumidify the air
Old 04-06-16, 05:44 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

same page here, 2015, every times when i hit auto, i had to turn off the AC. if i want AC i would turn it on myself.
wish system didn't programmed this way
Old 04-06-16, 06:21 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

You can toggle the A/C via the Circulate/Fresh air (No A/C) Auto Circulate/Fresh Air (A/C On)
Old 04-06-16, 06:34 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

So if I have it on Auto Circulate Fresh Air setting the AC will always come on? This is by design?

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me. If I recall, in my 99 it wasn't like this, Auto setting did not turn on the AC when you had the temp cranked way up. This won't be a problem in Summer, but in Winter I'd like to just be able to hit Auto while having the temp set at HI/85. Instead I'll have to either go in to the menu and turn off AC, or turn off the auto circulate setting. This wouldn't be an issue if there was a physical button for AC, but you have to use the joystick to navigate to it, not something that's ideal when driving.
Old 04-06-16, 06:36 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trogdor796
So if I have it on Auto Circulate Fresh Air setting the AC will always come on? This is by design?

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me. If I recall, in my 99 it wasn't like this, Auto setting did not turn on the AC when you had the temp cranked way up. This won't be a problem in Summer, but in Winter I'd like to just be able to hit Auto while having the temp set at HI/85. Instead I'll have to either go in to the menu and turn off AC, or turn off the auto circulate setting. This wouldn't be an issue if there was a physical button for AC, but you have to use the joystick to navigate to it, not something that's ideal when driving.
To Enable A/C Toggle via Fresh Air/Recirculate Button:

- Press Auto (Fan)
- Go into HVAC menu and turn off A/C manually
- Select Auto Recirculate/Fresh Air (To enable A/C) and Recirculate or Fresh Air only (To disable A/C(
Old 04-06-16, 06:42 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Originally Posted by faifai83
To Enable A/C Toggle via Fresh Air/Recirculate Button:

- Press Auto (Fan)
- Go into HVAC menu and turn off A/C manually
- Select Auto Recirculate/Fresh Air (To enable A/C) and Recirculate or Fresh Air only (To disable A/C(
Thanks for the quick reply!

Just to be clear on this,

- Press Auto (Fan) - The physical button?
- Go into HVAC menu and turn off A/C manually - via joystick obviously
- Select Auto Recirculate/Fresh Air (To enable A/C) and Recirculate or Fresh Air only (To disable A/C - you are referring to the physical button in the following picture right below the hazard button?

Old 04-06-16, 07:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Don't you want your AIR to be CONDITIONed - meaning that when the air flow is warm, hot, cool or cold the air is conditioned?

I never turn Off the compressor. I always leave it on Auto. And, I never manually change the fan speed.
Old 04-06-16, 07:15 PM
BMPAltezza
Driver School Candidate

Maybe the compressor
Old 04-06-16, 07:49 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Don't you want your AIR to be CONDITIONed - meaning that when the air flow is warm, hot, cool or cold the air is conditioned?

I never turn Off the compressor. I always leave it on Auto. And, I never manually change the fan speed.
I thought AC was only for when you want cold air. At least that's how it's been in every other car I'm in. The air is much warmer when the AC is off.

Is the Lexus different, or have I been doing it wrong all these years?

EDIT - This is an honest question, reading it back I can see how it could be seen as condescending, but I'm genuinely asking. Thanks!

Last edited by Trogdor796; 04-06-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 08:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I thought AC was only for when you want cold air. At least that's how it's been in every other car I'm in. The air is much warmer when the AC is off.

Is the Lexus different, or have I been doing it wrong all these years?

EDIT - This is an honest question, reading it back I can see how it could be seen as condescending, but I'm genuinely asking. Thanks!
No, the AC is for all year and any temperature setting you might choose. Try setting a temperature that calls for heat with the compressor On. The air flow will be warm...but conditioned.

* I did not take your reply/question in any way other than in a good way. All the best to you...
Old 04-06-16, 08:06 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

No, the AC is for all year and any temperature setting you might choose. Try setting a temperature that calls for heat with the compressor On. The air flow will be warm...but conditioned.

* I did not take your reply/question in any way other than in a good way. All the best to you...
So I should just be hitting auto to turn the system on, select my temp from there, and don't worry about the rest? Also, when it's on auto will it choose which vents come on and off as needed?

Final question. I just want to confirm that I understand S Flow correctly. S Flow detects if seats besides the drivers are occupied, and if not, those vents are not used, but will switch on if someone gets in the seat? Do you guys use S Flow or recommend using it?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 04-06-16, 08:47 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So I should just be hitting auto to turn the system on, select my temp from there, and don't worry about the rest? Also, when it's on auto will it choose which vents come on and off as needed?

Final question. I just want to confirm that I understand S Flow correctly. S Flow detects if seats besides the drivers are occupied, and if not, those vents are not used, but will switch on if someone gets in the seat? Do you guys use S Flow or recommend using it?

Thanks for all the help so far!
I used to use S-Flow more but when someone is sitting in the back seat it does not come on. So when I put my toddler back there I don't want him getting cold.
Old 04-06-16, 09:06 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Does your A/C system smell as there is a mildew buildup?
Old 04-07-16, 04:23 AM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Most cars I had(Audi and infiniti) puts the AC on when you press auto. It don't matter cold or hot temps but they all had a physical AC button to toggle on/off and it was easier to see that it was on and you can switch off if you like. It sucks to have to navigate through the screen to see its status. That is one flaw I don't like about the 4GS. Well that and dual climate....

Quick Reply: Weird AC Setting?