GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

"Sales of the Lexus GS were also down 40.6 percent to 1,524 units."

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

in terms of driving, acceleration, smoothness, and torque, i would choose my 98 gs400 over my 15 gs350 any time

but the overall driving package and driving dynamics (braking, cornering, handling, steering feel, steering feedback, steering input and response, chassis rigidity) my 15 gs350 blows away my 98 gs400.
Old 05-09-16, 09:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SBM1206
Lexus tries to sell obsolete technology packaged in a well made, reliable package but that does not work for a modern buyers anymore.
Keeping the same 3.5 liter engine as the top engine in GS for almost 20 years is a disrespect to Lexus buyers. The current F sport is slower than a lower-end 3-series - BMW 328. Lexus has to either up their game or stop positioning their cars as sporty. Hell, Q50 now has a 400 hp turbo 6.
I don't even want to mentioned the ancient 6-speed auto in all-wheel drive models. Why can't they put the 8-speed auto in those cars?
Lol, Lexus GS not selling well (so far this year compared to last) is not because customers are offended by Lexus disrespecting them via using a 9 year old engine.

You may have these opinions but that does not mean the market as a whole echoes your thought chamber.

Last edited by G Star; 05-09-16 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 09:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I`m referring to the ES to 5 Series transition. An ES buyer, whose vehicle maxes out at $42k (average price with all the bells on a nonhybrid) and lease offer of mid $300s wont want to jump into a 5 series with an average base price of $49k or lease at high $400s to mid $500s. It makes more sense for them to jump into a more aggressively priced 3 series or decked out CPO 5 series. Not saying their are exceptions to the rule, but the traditional flow is usually those in ESes tend to really not switch brands since the ES is an all rounder and unique in both design and value. GS owners, 5 series owners regardless of how expensive or basic their model is tend to jump around, and sometimes as you said see value with the ES more then a GS as theyre both sized equivalently, but pricing is where it really gets muddy.
These situations I mentioned all were owners of 5 Series that had owned them a long time, so the cost difference gets lost. They did not consider another BMW because of poor reliability. They had each decided to get a Lexus, and the Lexus they chose was the ES...they never even considered a GS and don't understand the difference. Lexus dealers also typically just sell the ES to these "lost puppy" buyers...at BMW if those buyers want a midsize car they get a 5 Series.

The average ES does not lease in the mid 300s. A good ES lease nowadays is $450. I understand what gets advertised, but those leases have a lot of money down, low miles, etc.

When the GS was well rebated the difference monthly between an ES and a GS was very small.
Old 05-10-16, 03:10 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Squared
I have to think the state of the economy has more to do with the lack of sales rather than the lack of turbos or superchargers.
Now there is a statement that can be proved to be wrong. Auto sales up in the US have been right around all time record high sales the past year.
Old 05-10-16, 04:18 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Now there is a statement that can be proved to be wrong. Auto sales up in the US have been right around all time record high sales the past year.
Yes, but is it due to the economy being better or people being able to finance cars for 84 months or more. Or great leasing deals?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/auto-mak...rch-1459517734

Car loans stretching 84 months or longer and the share of vehicles leased both increased, according to researcher J.D. Power.
Old 05-10-16, 05:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Why would the economy effect only the Lexus GS and not its competitors in its segment?
Old 05-10-16, 07:14 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Based on this report, it's not just the GS that's lagging in sales so far this year.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/05...-2016-ytd.html
Old 05-10-16, 07:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Based on this report, it's not just the GS that's lagging in sales so far this year.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/05...-2016-ytd.html
The E and 5 Series April numbers are almost 5x more than the GS.I don't think it's the economy.It's the car.
Old 05-10-16, 10:25 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

If you look at the April 2016 report from Lexus, all passenger cars suck (in terms of sales). SUVs are selling the best.

If they want to start moving cars again, they need to get back to offering the incentives that people expect. Problem is, they went down that rabbit hole, now they can't climb out.
Old 05-10-16, 12:03 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Didn't read the entire thread but Lexus still suffers from it's a rebadged Toyota syndrome. Many people I know who buy luxury cars do not want Lexus purely because the badge doesn't get the same respect as BMW or Mercedes. I even have people call my GS an overpriced Camry.

Oh well, I still like my overpriced Camry and may get another one in 3 years or so.
Old 05-10-16, 03:10 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by praetor
Didn't read the entire thread but Lexus still suffers from it's a rebadged Toyota syndrome. Many people I know who buy luxury cars do not want Lexus purely because the badge doesn't get the same respect as BMW or Mercedes. I even have people call my GS an overpriced Camry.

Oh well, I still like my overpriced Camry and may get another one in 3 years or so.
I love my GS. But if they don't go turbo, this is my first and last GS.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-10-16 at 04:25 PM. Reason: keep politics in the debate forum
Old 05-10-16, 03:11 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
If you look at the April 2016 report from Lexus, all passenger cars suck (in terms of sales). SUVs are selling the best.

If they want to start moving cars again, they need to get back to offering the incentives that people expect. Problem is, they went down that rabbit hole, now they can't climb out.
Or start making cars that appeal to those who will not soon need walkers. They have become the old Buick. And that stupid grill. Whoever designed it and approved it should be given swords to do the right thing. Same thing with the NAV controller which is universally panned forcing you to take your eyes off the road. Lexus lost it big time and they think it will bring people (hopefully younger) back with that stupid cartoonish front ends and all the other creases around a majority of their models.
Hideous. I think I just talked myself out of a Lexus.
Old 05-10-16, 03:13 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by praetor

Isn't it an overpriced Avalon? The ES is the overpriced Camry.
Old 05-10-16, 03:29 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by metrathon
I love my GS. But if they don't go turbo, this is my first and last GS.
I'm not necessarily so wild about turbos. They bring a lot more heat and I bet you a lot more problems. Same with that stupid stop/start. Good luck with your starters. My 12 BMW X3 doesn't have a turbo and it's a straight 6. The 2013 is when they went to the turbo 4. I'll take the straight 6 any day. How about Lexus making some engines whereby max torque is really low on the curve instead of at 4-5k rpm?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-10-16 at 04:25 PM. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 05-10-16, 04:31 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, but is it due to the economy being better or people being able to finance cars for 84 months or more. Or great leasing deals?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/auto-mak...rch-1459517734
It makes no difference why, the point is that cars are selling at record highs but the GS is in the tank.

Quick Reply: "Sales of the Lexus GS were also down 40.6 percent to 1,524 units."