GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Option from dealers: Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 06:07 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Option from dealers: Paint Protection Film

I just had a question... Paint protection film = clear bra correct? I was just wondering why it is cheaper at the dealer than at a 3rd market shop like XPEL? Different use of products and results (protect from debris and etc)?
Old 04-02-16, 04:04 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

My GS has small pieces of film on the area by the rear doors. If you are looking at the rear driver's side door, it is at 4-5 oclock. This could be the film they are talking about. I think they may also offer it on the top of the rear bumper, the area that you could scratch while loading/unloading stuff from the trunk.

Not sure if this might be what they are referring to. It would definitely cost way less than covering the front bumper and/or hood. So if the prices are way off then maybe this is what they are talking about.
Old 04-02-16, 10:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The dealer kit is just the 1/3rd of the hood. No bumper.
Old 04-05-16, 08:14 AM
jayemko
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SRC350F
I just had a question... Paint protection film = clear bra correct?
Correct. Clear Bra is a registered trademark, a brand name. There are many names it goes by now.

Originally Posted by SRC350F
I was just wondering why it is cheaper at the dealer than at a 3rd market shop like XPEL? Different use of products and results (protect from debris and etc)?
The dealers that are much cheaper have purchased their own cutting machine and cut their own film from templates, it's much more profitable and they don't have to pay another vendor. This means almost no additional overhead as a dealer to install, whereas a tint/film shop has all of their overhead to cover (lease, payroll, benefits, etc) with each film installation.
Old 04-05-16, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ask to see a car done with the dealers product. The reason it's cheaper will be clear, it has nothing to do with overhead.
Old 04-05-16, 02:41 PM
jayemko
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Ask to see a car done with the dealers product. The reason it's cheaper will be clear, it has nothing to do with overhead.
I agree with visually qualifying the quality of installs done by the dealer you're considering doing business with, but as a blanket statement this is false. This is a defensive statement that someone at a tint/film shop would throw at you if you asked them why a dealer was cheaper.

As someone that used to work in the car business, for a Toyota dealer and then a Lexus dealer that each installed their own paint protection films (as well as tint and vinyl wraps), I provided the OP with facts regarding his question. Do they apply to all dealers? No. Do they apply to all film shops? No. This also assumes apples to apples, i.e. identical coverage. Lexus does list a hood protection as an accessory ($429), but dealers also install full protection kits that are often a much better deal.

When my 4GS got scraped by another car, my dealer removed the old PPF in order to repair and repaint the bumper/fender, and reinstalled new PPF (3M Scotchguard) to the bumper and fender. The fit and finish of the cut and installation were great. To the OP: There will be good and bad installers at dealers and film shops, vet each well.
Old 04-05-16, 03:44 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not recommend using the dealer unless you can get the full kit including bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors, etc. The dealer tried to charge me $1500 for this kit installed with them. I went to another shop and they were charging about 30-40% less. The material is also a huge factor. I would stick with 3M or Xpel for a more durable finish. If you can get the dealers to match 3rd party prices I would get it done through them.
Old 04-05-16, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I also used to do business with car dealers. Dealers don't install full PPF kits themselves just like they don't tint windows themselves, they don't do paintless dent repair themselves, they don't refinish wheels or do interior repairs themselves. They subcontract this stuff out, so they have the same PPF guy come to the dealer and do it and mark it up to you. I have never seen a situation where like kind anything done by a dealer is cheaper than going straight to the source to have it done.

The only benefit to doing it through the dealer is that you can finance the cost in with the initial vehicle purchase.

I have had PPF put on two vehicles and I did dozens of hours of research both times, spoke with multiple dealers and multiple installers, I even joined and participated in online communities for distributors and installers of PPF and tint. I know what I'm talking about.

Plus I've seen what dealer hacks do to cars. The least amount of time your car is in the hands of the dealer the better off you are.

Do your research, find a great installer and go from there.
Old 04-05-16, 06:42 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Steve (SW15LS) is spot on. I have never experienced a dealer that does their own PPF on the side. It's definitely outsourced and you can bet the dealer is taking a cut when they bring a 3rd party in to service your vehicle with whatever your request is.

To answer the OP, you're correct, Paint Protection Film (PPF) = Clear Bra. It's probably cheaper because it's a lower quality film that is cheaper to manufacturer & install.

XPEL or Suntek is what I would stick with in terms of films. Do your research and join some PPF specific forums if you want to hear from actual installers and people that have a lot of experience with various films. You can probably find good information if you search on CL in general too, since other cars besides the GS get this done.

Good luck,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 04-05-16, 11:50 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Steve (SW15LS) is spot on. I have never experienced a dealer that does their own PPF on the side. It's definitely outsourced and you can bet the dealer is taking a cut when they bring a 3rd party in to service your vehicle with whatever your request is.

To answer the OP, you're correct, Paint Protection Film (PPF) = Clear Bra. It's probably cheaper because it's a lower quality film that is cheaper to manufacturer & install.

XPEL or Suntek is what I would stick with in terms of films. Do your research and join some PPF specific forums if you want to hear from actual installers and people that have a lot of experience with various films. You can probably find good information if you search on CL in general too, since other cars besides the GS get this done.

Good luck,

~ Im2bz2p345
One more thing to keep in mind, it's recommended to get the paint corrected by a reputable detailed before the film is applied. Otherwise you'll have tons of swirl marks and imperfections trapped under the ppf.

Suntek is better suited for darker color cars, xpel for the lighter colors