Get ML or Aftermarket Sound for '16 GS Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 12:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Depends what you are after:
The ML is audiophile-grade.
Most aftermarket systems are for a boomy-type of sound.

Audiophile-grade is designed for clarity and separation, and to reproduce the original source of sound exactly as it is.
Boom box type is designed to produce a bass boom that is actually much boomier than the original bass, and that's how this group of listeners like it.

For example, Bose is a boom box, while Mark Levinson is audiophile grade.
For classical music, audiophiles always prefer ML over Bose.
Bose boom boxes are good for pop music like Vanilla Ice, or Beyoncé etc...
Old 04-05-16, 01:15 PM
y2tony3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprwonton
you are deaf.

funny my wife says the exact same thing...
Old 04-05-16, 01:24 PM
y2tony3
Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Depends what you are after:
The ML is audiophile-grade.
Most aftermarket systems are for a boomy-type of sound.

Audiophile-grade is designed for clarity and separation, and to reproduce the original source of sound exactly as it is.
Boom box type is designed to produce a bass boom that is actually much boomier than the original bass, and that's how this group of listeners like it.

For example, Bose is a boom box, while Mark Levinson is audiophile grade.
For classical music, audiophiles always prefer ML over Bose.
Bose boom boxes are good for pop music like Vanilla Ice, or Beyoncé etc...
Bose would have complimented this car so good...

Maybe its just me but in the area that I live and work (very affluent area) I've noticed that there is more of an older crowd that drive Lexus vehicles. Mainly ES... seen a few GS as well. So I can understand why Lexus would choose the ML sound over Bose or Harmon... But there is a younger generation jumping on the Lexus train that they should be taking into consideration. Just my opinion
Old 04-05-16, 01:26 PM
hawnlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by y2tony3
Bose would have complimented this car so good...

Maybe its just me but in the area that I live and work (very affluent area) I've noticed that there is more of an older crowd that drive Lexus vehicles. Mainly ES... seen a few GS as well. So I can understand why Lexus would choose the ML sound over Bose or Harmon... But there is a younger generation jumping on the Lexus train that they should be taking into consideration. Just my opinion
Bose. Gross. You lose all credibility
Old 04-05-16, 01:40 PM
y2tony3
Driver

Originally Posted by hawnlex
Bose. Gross. You lose all credibility
I had credibility... nice...
Old 04-05-16, 08:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Bose is a master at using small satellite size speakers that produce a big boomy sound.

Bose has a little tweeter to produce the treble high notes, and Bose also has a big subwoofer to produce the bass low notes; however audiophiles & purists criticize Bose for not having medium sized speakers to produce the mid range frequency for human dialogue and vocals.
Old 04-06-16, 09:42 AM
Jeepdude
Driver School Candidate

I have built many systems and used to compete back in the IASCA days...when sound quality meant something.

The gains you will get with spending $1,400 on a Mark Levinson system, in my opinion, are much more than you would get trying to go aftermarket and upgrading the stock system for the same dollar amount.

The staging and imaging of the ML is pretty good. You would behard pressed to get it that good on the aftermarket without some serious sound processing. Speaker placement, speaker timing, and overall frequency response has been already engineered into the ML system.

The bass is lacking for sure, but to get really good bass, it will require a more powerful amplifier and a bigger subwoofer. Then, most subs will need some type of tuned enclosre that will take up a lot of room in the trunk.

You might be able to find a free air sub and mount it on the rear deck like the OEM, but then you are likely to have the same issues...and remember; bass is not just booom, booom. It should be tight and have a solid kick to it if done right.

Personally, I got tired of building competitive sound systems. I could never just go into my car and enjoy the sound...I was always listing for faults so I could fix it. Now, I just go with the OEM stuff and am very happy with it. It is pretty good for the most part.

And Bose...don't get me started. If you ever go into a Bose store they are always playing classical music. That is what is best suited for thier speakers...no highs, no lows...must be Bose. They are very good with thier marketing.

My suggestion, before buying anything sound related, is to get a number of CDs that you know how they are supposed to sound and you are familiar with. Go to where you are thinking of buying the speakers from and play the tracks on the CD you are familiar with. You can do the same thiing with a car system..between stock OEM and the upgrded OEM systems. You will find that, to YOU, one is much better than the other. and go with that. When people do that with Bose, it is rare they purchase that brand.
Old 04-07-16, 12:38 PM
sparrky
Driver School Candidate

Have a 2015 GS350 F-Sport.

I'm very unimpressed with the ML system. I actually brought it back to the dealer to check if any of the speakers were blown or connections were out, as it was lacking power and volume. The tech indicated it was working as designed.

Not sure what the DSP sound level does; but when you switch on surround it sounds like there is one main speaker on the dash and the sound seems to be mono.
Old 04-07-16, 03:46 PM
lowround1
Driver School Candidate

I am leasing a 2015 GS luxury with ML. I think it sounds great to excellent depending on the source and the stereo settings. I seriously doubt the ML sound capability/quality can be recreated by only putting $1400 into an aftermarket system and find it hard to believe that any aftermarket system would be better at that price point.

YMMV but I've found there is a pretty substantial amount of quality low end in the system with the fader moved a couple ticks toward the rear and the surround off. To me, that extra low end along with the inherent clarity can produce some exceptional sound. Again, this is source dependent.

Last edited by lowround1; 04-07-16 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 06:46 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ML and it sounds quite nice although bass is a little lacking. I had to opt for ML because it was the only addon that came with BSM (in my area) which was a must for me (auto fold mirrors). As for ML, as long as i turn off DSP, quality is nice and crisp (i only use bluetooth). I have considered swapping out the sub but i need the trunk space as my 1 1/2 year old daughter owns it lol.
Old 04-08-16, 04:20 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Neles
I have ML and it sounds quite nice although bass is a little lacking. I had to opt for ML because it was the only addon that came with BSM (in my area) which was a must for me (auto fold mirrors). As for ML, as long as i turn off DSP, quality is nice and crisp (i only use bluetooth). I have considered swapping out the sub but i need the trunk space as my 1 1/2 year old daughter owns it lol.
Check the trunk again...it's deep. I fit 2 12s with plenty of room left. You can do a single 12 or even 10 at 1 cubic feet.
Old 04-09-16, 04:05 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

1400 for a aftermarket system ain't gonna get u nowhere. A helix dsp pro processor is already 1400. U can definitely make an aftermarket system kill the ml but not for 1400. Let me break it down to u guys how much u need to spend to make your car sound better than the ml. First processor $500-1400 depends what u want. Front speakers $200-16000, rears $200-16000, subs $100-2000, wires and install. U need to spend about $3000-5000 min for everything to beat the ml. No point goin aftermarket without a dsp processor.