GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carbon Fiber Interior Trim!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 11:06 AM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Interior Trim!!!

Hi Guys. So I'm not sure if anyone on here has this but I am looking to order a kit that is specifically made for our cars. I really liked the look of all the carbon fiber in the GS F so decided to search.

The kit that I have found comes with 46 pieces but I decided to only pick 21 pieces just covering all silver/piano black panels. I have a quote for $160 for real carbon fiber. Is this a decent price?

Below is a sample the company had sent me to gauge the quality. The angle does it no justice.

Old 03-30-16, 11:27 AM
jcifuentes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about doing this to mine as well since one of the panels has a crack in it.

Do you have a link for the company you are contacting and having the panels made from?

Thank you.
Old 03-30-16, 02:18 PM
Lexobu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How easy is this to do? I'm not really one to mod my cars, but I absolutely love the way this looks.
Old 03-30-16, 03:00 PM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexobu
How easy is this to do? I'm not really one to mod my cars, but I absolutely love the way this looks.
If application is cover up as stated above it is as easy as putting on a sticker.
Old 03-30-16, 03:02 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossles
If application is cover up as stated above it is as easy as putting on a sticker.
They silver trim is textured so there may be adhesion isssues. There are some wraps that honestly look real now also. If this was a direct replacement then it would be a nice option. I wonder how much the oem cf panels are from Lexus from the GSF. In my last car they had companies like ocarbon that made oem replacement trim panels and you bought them and sent yours back as a core. That would be something I'd be in for.

Last edited by ricam78; 03-30-16 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 06:57 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

As cool as that looks, and I for one would love cf trim....but your not getting real cf for 160 bucks, at least not enough to cover up all the trim in the car....

The sample piece is not real, but most car interior trim that is wood or cf isn't real anyway....
Old 03-30-16, 07:09 PM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vinnier6
As cool as that looks, and I for one would love cf trim....but your not getting real cf for 160 bucks, at least not enough to cover up all the trim in the car....

The sample piece is not real, but most car interior trim that is wood or cf isn't real anyway....
While this is true, it's always good as a group to at least discuss those options. My idea was to wrap the trim at the least expensive option. I will order some online tomorrow and "test".

Either way let's test what we can and evaluate. I have never tried to wrap anything but trim should not be that difficult as it's smaller flat (in general) pieces.

Does anyone know how to remove the trim? Or is there a link somewhere? I think for the cheap cost to purchase maybe $20-50 I could trial and do some parts and share on here.
Old 03-30-16, 07:14 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Here is how far CF wrap has come. There may be newer and better than this also. In any case, wrapping isn't bad. Never used this so it may be harder and thicker but overall through process is easy. The thing that concerns me is the non smooth texture of the aluminum wood grain style trim. Maybe filler is needed to make it smooth?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=825394

Old 03-30-16, 07:23 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

This would be ideal....but pricey

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-interior.html
Old 03-30-16, 07:33 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Lexus uses real wood in their cars, and I believe the carbon fiber trims they use is real too.
Old 03-30-16, 10:06 PM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ricam78
Anyone have a quote for this process on a 4GS?
Old 03-31-16, 05:32 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bossles
Anyone have a quote for this process on a 4GS?
I can check with some people we used in the Audi community. I guess I would need to know how easy trim removal was as from my count of the silver wood grain style patterns on my FSport there are 10 total. One on each door so 4, 2 on dash, and 4 on center console (heated seats, cupholder, shifter surroundand the one on the backside above rear vent)
Old 03-31-16, 07:17 AM
nobodycare
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to some pictures of the finally install.
Old 03-31-16, 08:00 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
Lexus uses real wood in their cars, and I believe the carbon fiber trims they use is real too.
I can just about guarantee the wood in my car isn't real....just like all the leather isn't real either
Old 03-31-16, 08:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

I can just about guarantee the wood in my car isn't real....just like all the leather isn't real either
Lexus does not use fake wood in their cars, it's a thin veneer of real wood. As you say there are now options with Lexus vehicles for Nuluxe (artificial leather) same as Mercedes (MB-Tex), BMW (SensaTec), etc.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim!!!