GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 F sport vs 2013 tech w/ 20s no drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 10:19 PM
mikepgs350
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 GS 350 F sport vs 2013 tech w/ 20s no drop

I am new to the forum and am overwhelmed by the welcoming from my first post.

Since I still do not own a Lexus because it's been hard to find exactly what I want at the moment which is a 2013-2014 GS 350 F sport in either black or white with low km..

The only reason I want the F sport is because the 18" rims on the luxury or technology model just looks tiny especially with that big gap between the tire and wheel well.

I think I might just be happier buying a luxury or technology model and using the stock rims as winter tire rims and putting on some 20s.
I searched some old threads and saw some pix of this Gen on 20s without a drop and I thought it looked pretty sweet and it took a nice chunk out of that gap.

I drive slow. Performance and sport suspension really doesn't do anything for me..

Any reason why I shouldn't just purchase a technology model and throw on 20s? I'd certainly like that fat wood steering wheel and the ML stereo over an F-sport suspension.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-16, 06:21 AM
mikepgs350
Driver

I should have asked more specific questions. I did search some old treads but if someone could advise:
1) would I require different brakes?
2) are there any rim or tire width sizes to stay clear of because of rubbing issues?
3) is there much noticeable difference between the 2013 f sport and technology models exterior? Unfortunately I am unable to see these two models in person side by side.

I am just looking for an upgraded stock look without having to do any modifications, just putting on 20s in the summer and stock 18s in the winter.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-16, 07:31 AM
mikepgs350
Driver

I put this collage together put for some reason I cannot upload the file or post a link.
http://s9.postimg.org/u32fhwfpb/2013_gs_350_models.jpg

other than the front grill insert I didn't notice any noticeable differences of the body styles of these 3 models. am I missing anything?
Old 03-16-16, 07:52 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepgs350
I put this collage together put for some reason I cannot upload the file or post a link.
http://s9.postimg.org/u32fhwfpb/2013_gs_350_models.jpg

other than the front grill insert I didn't notice any noticeable differences of the body styles of these 3 models. am I missing anything?
Your "collage" doesn't do the F sport any justice, because those are not the stock 19" rims on it. Those 17's look hideous!!!

As for the front, it's not just the grill insert but also the bottom part of the bumper is (subjectively) more aggressive on the F-sport. The two notches are actually functional air ducts used to channel air to the front brakes - this is unique to F-sport.

Other key differences, F-sport steering wheel, rear lip spoiler are not found on Luxury/Tech packages.
Old 03-16-16, 07:56 AM
er34
Instructor

Any reason why I shouldn't just purchase a technology model and throw on 20s? I'd certainly like that fat wood steering wheel and the ML stereo over an F-sport suspension.

Thanks!
I guess you already answered your own question. Sounds like non F-sport is the better choice for you.
Old 03-16-16, 09:24 AM
mikepgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by er34
Your "collage" doesn't do the F sport any justice, because those are not the stock 19" rims on it. Those 17's look hideous!!!

As for the front, it's not just the grill insert but also the bottom part of the bumper is (subjectively) more aggressive on the F-sport. The two notches are actually functional air ducts used to channel air to the front brakes - this is unique to F-sport.

Other key differences, F-sport steering wheel, rear lip spoiler are not found on Luxury/Tech packages.

I just grabbed the first 3 cars from Toronto auto trader listings.. yes I should have not chosen that fsport on 17s.. I'm surprised I didn't get banned from the forum.. I was just comparing body styles though
Old 03-16-16, 09:27 AM
mikepgs350
Driver

I guess you already answered your own question. Sounds like non F-sport is the better choice for you.
Yep I agree. I'm just such a noob when it comes to aftermarket anything. I'm going to comb the forums to find out suitable rims/tire packages for 20s. I'm sure it's been discussed before
Old 03-16-16, 10:01 AM
jduong29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the forum and am overwhelmed by the welcoming from my first post.

Since I still do not own a Lexus because it's been hard to find exactly what I want at the moment which is a 2013-2014 GS 350 F sport in either black or white with low km..

The only reason I want the F sport is because the 18" rims on the luxury or technology model just looks tiny especially with that big gap between the tire and wheel well.

I think I might just be happier buying a luxury or technology model and using the stock rims as winter tire rims and putting on some 20s.
I searched some old threads and saw some pix of this Gen on 20s without a drop and I thought it looked pretty sweet and it took a nice chunk out of that gap.

I drive slow. Performance and sport suspension really doesn't do anything for me..

Thanks!
I don't think the F Sport is for you. You are better off buying a luxury or base model and save yourself some extra money. Some of us on this forum have the F Sport for many reason. F Sport have a very nice aggressive front bumper, bigger brakes system, adaptive suspension system, Cabernet Red interior, 18 way Powerseat selection, F Sport emblems. You sound like you don't care anything about the F Sport has to offer. I honestly don't like any after market wheels on this GS lexus. I think the F Sport has the best looking factory 19" wheels. But its your money and buy whatever you want.
Old 03-16-16, 11:21 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

1) Different brakes/more powerful brakes might only be needed if the 20's you're installing add significant weight. Would speak to the installer/shop experts to confirm. Maybe other forum members with non f-sports running larger wheels with stock brakes can chime in with their thoughts.

2) There are a few threads with folks that have discussed this topic about tire size and rubbing.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-vossens.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tires-rub.html

3) Some key differences: The F Sport has a different front bumper, front upper/lower grilles, no factory fog lenses here in the US, different color rear valence/diffuser, different/flat decklid rear spoiler, F badging on front quarter panels, F-specific trim/badging all over interior items like the steering wheel/mats/stitching/shifter, interior has aluminum trim, Sport+ setting (also available on Lux pkg), Standard 19" Wheels, Bigger Brakes/Rotors, exclusive interior leather options (e.g. cabernet/red).

To get the best of both worlds, there is always the option of buying a Luxury version GS to get the bells and whistles and adding any F-sport related parts.

Last edited by AJLex19; 03-16-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 11:32 AM
mikepgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
1) Different brakes/more powerful brakes might only be needed if the 20's you're installing add significant weight. Would speak to the installer/shop experts to confirm. Maybe other forum members with non f-sports running larger wheels with stock brakes can chime in with their thoughts.

2) There are a few threads with folks that have discussed this topic about tire size and rubbing.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-vossens.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tires-rub.html

3) Some key differences: The F Sport has a different front bumper, front upper/lower grilles, different color rear valence/diffuser, different/flat decklid rear spoiler, F badging on front quarter panels, F-specific trim/badging all over interior items like the steering wheel/mats/stitching/shifter, interior has aluminum trim, Sport+ setting (also available on Lux pkg), Standard 19" Wheels, Bigger Brakes/Rotors, exclusive interior leather options (e.g. cabernet/red).

To get the best of both worlds, there is always the option of buying a Luxury version GS to get the bells and whistles and adding any F-sport related parts.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I haven't been able to compare the different models in person. Not one local dealership has all 3 models to look at. It's kinda hard to tell in pictures the differences between the technology model bumper and the f sport bumper other than the grill.

I really appreciate the links and the brake info.
Old 03-16-16, 12:11 PM
er34
Instructor

Canadian GS350 F-sport only come in AWD, so no bigger brakes than regular car. Only the RWD F-sport gets bigger front brakes.
Old 03-16-16, 12:15 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

Canadian GS350 F-sport only come in AWD, so no bigger brakes than regular car. Only the RWD F-sport gets bigger front brakes.
Just to clarify, I meant that if the original poster was going to potentially add larger, aftermarket 20" wheels that were heavier, he might want to consider upgrading his stock/standard brakes to add additional stopping power.
Old 03-16-16, 12:53 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Just to clarify, I meant that if the original poster was going to potentially add larger, aftermarket 20" wheels that were heavier, he might want to consider upgrading his stock/standard brakes to add additional stopping power.
Considering he likes to drive slow, there is definitely no need. Stock brakes are more than adequate unless you are tracking.