GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

options heads up display and mark levinson

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 08:24 PM
10tlshawd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default options heads up display and mark levinson

trying to decide if the heads up display and mark levinson audio system are worth getting.Anyone have the heads up display and feel it was worth it?Has anyone compared the regular audio system to the mark levinson system.Is there any big differences between the two?
Old 03-06-16, 09:05 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

yes & no... all depends on your priorities & wallet! I prefer ML system for sure but I can live w/out HUD for sure
Old 03-06-16, 09:58 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The Mark L really shines when using a good audio input. An iPod through USB jack is good. The difference starts decreasing with streaming your phone, HD radio, regular AM and FM, and lastly XM. Now with a DVD-AUDIO disc the system really shines. I have a Marvin Gaye DVD-A that I got from Amazon. It sounds amazing, just wish that kind of quality audio was available through my iPod.
Old 03-06-16, 10:50 PM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to choose I would take the ML system over the HUD. That said, I have both and love both. I use the HUD (look at/through it) every time I drive my car.
Old 03-07-16, 08:46 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The ML system for sure but the HUD is only 900$ more.
IMO HUD is amazing, no need to ever look down from the windshield, which is how many accidents happen.
Old 03-07-16, 08:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I got the ML on my GS after being somewhat disappointed in the base audio system in my IS. My RX has ML and it is decent (not nearly as good as the GS ML). I would buy it again.

As for HUD, there were no F Sports in my region with HUD when I bought my GS. If it had been available, I would have opted to pay for it, as I think it would be a nice feature to have, but I was okay getting one without HUD.
Old 03-07-16, 11:56 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought used so I didn't get to "choose" my options, per se. I was and still am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the base audio. That said, if I had found a well-priced used car with ML and/or HUD, I would have gone for it. I'd always prefer the upgraded audio. And I once had a Pontiac Grand Prix with a (much more basic) HUD, and it was awesome. So nice to not have to glance away from the road to see speed, radio channel, etc.
Old 03-07-16, 12:31 PM
rad-man
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HUD, for the win!
Old 03-07-16, 07:55 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I bought used so I didn't get to "choose" my options, per se. I was and still am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the base audio. That said, if I had found a well-priced used car with ML and/or HUD, I would have gone for it. I'd always prefer the upgraded audio. And I once had a Pontiac Grand Prix with a (much more basic) HUD, and it was awesome. So nice to not have to glance away from the road to see speed, radio channel, etc.
Likewise, I had a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi with a HUD. The next car I purchased did not have it, so when I bought this one, I went out of my way to get the HUD.
Old 03-07-16, 08:06 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
Likewise, I had a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi with a HUD. The next car I purchased did not have it, so when I bought this one, I went out of my way to get the HUD.
My uncle had that same Bonneville SSEi with the HUD - thought it was the coolest thing i had ever seen at the time! That supercharged SSEi had great pull

I haven't seen how the HUD looks on the GS but its such a rare feature that in my searches i've only ever seen one GS in my area that had it and the car had every option possible.

To the OP: If you can get it, you'll be the only one on the block with a GS with that option thats for sure
Old 03-07-16, 11:14 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the HUD and want it on my next car for sure. Also enjoy the ML audio. I rip vinyl records to DVD and play them in the car and they sound phenomenal. That was a joy to finally figure out since apparently a high end head unit won't play FLAC, ALAC, or other hi-def formats. It's picky about DVD-A discs also. But I got it whipped and it's no big deal to record hi-def audio, convert to flac, then burn a DVD and throw it in the car.

Also, the rear wheel steering is nice too, shaves like 4 to 6 inches off the turning radius when you're parking and supposedly digs in during high speed cornering which I don't really notice.
Old 03-09-16, 10:20 AM
16Fsport
Driver School Candidate

I wanted the HUD but my dealer tells me it's not supported for the F Sport model.... :/
Old 03-09-16, 11:27 AM
supra725
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my HUD... is worth it.. especially at night..
Old 03-09-16, 11:30 AM
zerocypher
Driver School Candidate

2013 F-Sport here with both options. Definitely get ML since there's a noticeable difference and worth the money. HUD is up to you. I enjoy it but could live without it.
Old 03-09-16, 12:15 PM
16Fsport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zerocypher
2013 F-Sport here with both options. Definitely get ML since there's a noticeable difference and worth the money. HUD is up to you. I enjoy it but could live without it.
Mines a 2016. Don't know what's the difference but dealer said no.

Quick Reply: options heads up display and mark levinson