GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thunk sound from the passenger rear when driving over bumps

Old 02-13-16, 08:59 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Thunk sound from the passenger rear when driving over bumps

So I know the 2013 GS (or many GS in general) have had complaints of squeaks and rattles. My GS has a couple but are very minor and only occasional.

I do have one noise that seems unusual though. When I am driving and drive over moderate bumps in the road, I hear a muffled clunk or thunk type of noise only from the rear passenger area and never anywhere else. Has anyone else ever experienced that?

My car is a stock CPO 2013 F sport and not lowered or anything. Stock rims and tires. The shock does not seem to be leaking.

The noise happens regardless of if I am in regular or sport+ modes.

Was going to mention it to the dealer at my next oil change and door trim replacement appointment I need to make Ina couple months.
Old 02-13-16, 09:56 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 395 Likes on 240 Posts

I heard some F sports having issues with there suspension and I also that clunking noise coming from front left, they changed my strut out.
Old 02-14-16, 07:49 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

In other cars, this sound is caused by the fuel in the tank splashing around.
/shrug
Old 02-14-16, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would make sure nothing is loose in the spare tire compartment of the trunk.
Old 02-16-16, 10:56 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try and dig up the service record for this, but I had a "thunk" sound from the rear passenger side when temperatures dropped below -10C . The dealer took about a year and a half to resolve it. I know they did replace the rear shock originally, to no avail. On the third try they were able to resolve the issue.

Temperatures in the area have been mild this winter, generally over the freezing mark. This past weekend temperatures plummeted to -20C (in time for the NBA All-Star W/E ) and the issue has not re-surfaced.
Old 02-16-16, 12:05 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine has done this forever. The dealer initially blamed the junk in my trunk. Haven't had it back with the trunk empty since then, but I will soon and will report back.
Old 02-16-16, 12:45 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Mine has done this forever. The dealer initially blamed the junk in my trunk. Haven't had it back with the trunk empty since then, but I will soon and will report back.
It required bearing lubrication. I am hoping the record has the specifics. Lexus should have service bulletins for this issue.
Old 02-16-16, 01:29 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

The service record says:

CAUSE: Lack of lubricant
CORRECTION: Swapped both rear shocks. Removed sway bar links and lubricated rear sway bar bushings.
Old 02-16-16, 02:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Sounds like the sway bar bushing was dry and grabbing...and when it released a 'thunk' sound was heard.
Old 02-16-16, 02:32 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
Sounds like the sway bar bushing was dry and grabbing...and when it released a 'thunk' sound was heard.
That makes sense and may be the cause. I had a performance sway bar on my other car that made a similar but higher pitched noise when going over bumps due to the dry nylon bushings.

I will keep an eye on it and have the dealer check it out when I take it in for an oil change (and aluminum insert replacement).
Old 02-16-16, 04:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
That makes sense and may be the cause. I had a performance sway bar on my other car that made a similar but higher pitched noise when going over bumps due to the dry nylon bushings.

I will keep an eye on it and have the dealer check it out when I take it in for an oil change (and aluminum insert replacement).
Cold weather also causes bushings to creak and clunk more than during warmer weather.
Old 02-16-16, 06:11 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
Cold weather also causes bushings to creak and clunk more than during warmer weather.
Well, living in SoCal especially right now I would not point to cold weather especially since it has been in the 80's the past week.

Last edited by Davenlei; 02-16-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 06:25 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Well, living in SoCal especially right now I would not point to cold weather especially since it has been in the 80's the past week.
My Fsport under 2,900 miles and I noticed thump in truck over a bump and when I back up a loud noise in the rear end. Will have car mechs investigate next visit.
Old 02-16-16, 11:28 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same issue on my '13 with 29.5k miles.

Dealer claimed that there was no noise as the tech was unable to replicate on a test drive.

They claimed that the struts had no stress marks; thus there is no issue...but the issue still persists...
Old 02-17-16, 10:17 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
The service record says:

CAUSE: Lack of lubricant
CORRECTION: Swapped both rear shocks. Removed sway bar links and lubricated rear sway bar bushings.
Thanks, I'll hammer the dealer next time I'm in and see if I can't get this fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunk sound from the passenger rear when driving over bumps