GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thunk sound from the passenger rear when driving over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 10:30 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The 14 GS F-sport has a weird issue where it makes a clunk sound after I shut off the car with my son's child seat strapped down with the seat belt and I take him out with the child seat. The service advisor actually heard it but they couldn't replicate it...LoL. But since I've placed a more permanent child seat that is locked with the seat belts and I don't take it out, I haven't heard of it since then. I know the issue is still there but not sure what else I can do.
Old 02-17-16, 10:57 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should add that my wife who's hearing is better than mine (she is actually better at everything), says she still notices the irregularity over bumps and at temperatures above freezing, although the sound is quite diminished. I could only notice it at lower temperatures and now I don't hear or feel it at all, so consider it fixed.

In order to get full action from the dealer we responded appropriately to Lexus Canada's service follow-up, after a couple of failed attempts. The next day the owner of the dealership contacted us to set an appointment for the eventual fix.

One final point, child car seats need to be tightened down quite dramatically to be effective. My wife was involved in a regional and provincial programme on child seat safety. I can suggest contacting your region or county public health service who can provide details and even demonstrate the correct procedure for children in cars. Right now up here, there are special procedure for putting children in car seats when wearing parkas and snow suits. For me it is shocking to find what you think is safe is actually unsafe.

Last edited by zicogold; 02-17-16 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-17-16, 01:41 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
The 14 GS F-sport has a weird issue where it makes a clunk sound after I shut off the car with my son's child seat strapped down with the seat belt and I take him out with the child seat. The service advisor actually heard it but they couldn't replicate it...LoL. But since I've placed a more permanent child seat that is locked with the seat belts and I don't take it out, I haven't heard of it since then. I know the issue is still there but not sure what else I can do.
Do you use the automatic e-brake function? This might be because when you put the car in park with your foot on the brake, the e-brake engages before the transmission has a chance to settle on the parking pawl. So then when you do anything that shifts significant weight or moves the car slightly, some of the tension of the e-brake on the rear rotors breaks slightly and causes a creaking sound. This is what I've noticed on my car. I haven't really tested it more than maybe once, but if you don't use the automatic e-brake, and you put the car in park, release your foot from the brake and THEN engage the e-brake, I think this would cause that issue to stop happening, because the car would be resting on the parking pawl rather than the e-brakes.

Last edited by wfibear; 02-17-16 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-19-16, 07:17 AM
mattds
Driver

I've had my MY13 Luxary to the dealership twice for this - the first time they diagnosed it to be the right rear shock. It was backorder, so i had to go back in (got a loaner), so i went it, that got fixed, It was better but there there. Took it back in, foreman took it for a drive, they think it's the left side...(i really don't think it is) so i'm getting that shock replaced now - but it's also on back order.

I'm almost at the end of my warranty, on in a few weeks i'll be putting on lowering springs and i'll ask that techs to check it out - it really sounds like it's is the upper shock mount...but what do i know...
Old 02-19-16, 05:16 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine is at Sewell now, and I made sure I underlined the point that first, this appears to be hard to diagnose and secondly, it has been a problem for a very long time. I'll update the thread when I get the car back, probably next week, because I gave them a gripe list.
Old 02-20-16, 11:07 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Mine is at Sewell now, and I made sure I underlined the point that first, this appears to be hard to diagnose and secondly, it has been a problem for a very long time. I'll update the thread when I get the car back, probably next week, because I gave them a gripe list.
Got it back today, thunking is gone and you'll never guess what was causing it.

One of the things I also had them fix was a rattling from the sunroof assembly when it was open. It was an obvious, loud, annoying rattle. Pushing up on the headliner behind the opening would calm it down.

I had a tech ride with me because he didn't hear the clunking, but he did hear (and fix) the sunroof issue. The fix for the sunroof was new retaining clips for the sunroof assembly, the originals were ill-fit and let things rattle. During the tech ride along, no matter what pavement we drove over, the car wouldn't clunk.

Basically, the sound ended up being yet another loose sunroof assembly problem that tightening it up fixed. There's lots of mechanical stuff that handles it, and if one thing is loose, other things are loose too. The sound which I thought was the suspension (because it always came from somewhere behind me) was stuff in the ceiling. Car is tight and quiet now, better than the day I bought it. Drawback is they gave it back to me with 2 3" spots of curb rash, but I mentioned it and they're going to call Monday to see what they can do.

Anyway, if you find a bad patch of road that triggers the noise, try pushing up on the headliner just behind your head and see if that stops it, you could have the same weird problem.
Old 02-21-16, 09:18 AM
Beer4me
Driver School Candidate

One of the things I also had them fix was a rattling from the sunroof assembly when it was open. It was an obvious, loud, annoying rattle. Pushing up on the headliner behind the opening would calm it down.

I had a tech ride with me because he didn't hear the clunking, but he did hear (and fix) the sunroof issue. The fix for the sunroof was new retaining clips for the sunroof assembly, the originals were ill-fit and let things rattle. During the tech ride along, no matter what pavement we drove over, the car wouldn't clunk.

Basically, the sound ended up being yet another loose sunroof assembly problem that tightening it up fixed. There's lots of mechanical stuff that handles it, and if one thing is loose, other things are loose too. The sound which I thought was the suspension (because it always came from somewhere behind me) was stuff in the ceiling. Car is tight and quiet now, better than the day I bought it. Drawback is they gave it back to me with 2 3" spots of curb rash, but I mentioned it and they're going to call Monday to see what they can do.

Anyway, if you find a bad patch of road that triggers the noise, try pushing up on the headliner just behind your head and see if that stops it, you could have the same weird problem.
WTF?!!! Completely unacceptable, even more so when you're leasing because now you're on the hook for that damage. Hopefully, they fix up their mess.
Old 02-21-16, 09:41 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Drawback is they gave it back to me with 2 3" spots of curb rash, but I mentioned it and they're going to call Monday to see what they can do.
Which Lexus dealership?
Old 02-22-16, 07:36 AM
mattds
Driver

WOW - sorry to hear about the curb rash.

i will try that (headliner behind sunroof) I also think some/one of the noises i hear could be the rear seats themselves...i once had my wife drive and me sit in the back and i could not hear it at all...anyone have any exp with the seats rattling around?
Old 02-22-16, 08:19 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Which Lexus dealership?
Wanted to give them a chance to respond before I brought out the pitchforks. They called today and agreed to fix the wheels at no cost, no argument and no hassle at all. Got me in a loaner. Sewell Lexus in Dallas. So far I like the way they handle business and can't say anything bad about the situation. I realize all dealers make mistakes but it's how they handle them that matters. Should get the car back in a few days with fresh wheels.
Old 02-23-16, 08:22 AM
Beer4me
Driver School Candidate

Wanted to give them a chance to respond before I brought out the pitchforks. They called today and agreed to fix the wheels at no cost, no argument and no hassle at all. Got me in a loaner. Sewell Lexus in Dallas. So far I like the way they handle business and can't say anything bad about the situation. I realize all dealers make mistakes but it's how they handle them that matters. Should get the car back in a few days with fresh wheels.
Awesome, glad to hear that they are taking care of you. Please post back the results once you get your car back. It would be appreciated, thx!
Old 02-23-16, 08:30 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the dealership going to replace or repair your wheels?

I had the same situation where the dealership scuffed my wheels when topping up the gas as part of the passenger seat frame recall and they merely re-powder coated my wheel. Upon closer examination, the one wheel is a slightly different color as well as "thicker" ... To top it off, that particular wheel now has a minor leak of ~1-2 psi per month...compared to my other 3 non-repaired wheels.

...the local tire shop mounted and re-balanced the tire and it still occurs...
Old 02-23-16, 09:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Beer4me
Awesome, glad to hear that they are taking care of you. Please post back the results once you get your car back. It would be appreciated, thx!
Originally Posted by faifai83
Is the dealership going to replace or repair your wheels?

I had the same situation where the dealership scuffed my wheels when topping up the gas as part of the passenger seat frame recall and they merely re-powder coated my wheel. Upon closer examination, the one wheel is a slightly different color as well as "thicker" ... To top it off, that particular wheel now has a minor leak of ~1-2 psi per month...compared to my other 3 non-repaired wheels.

...the local tire shop mounted and re-balanced the tire and it still occurs...
That would be a significant problem for me if it was my car. You take the car in without wheel damage and now (after repairs) you get the car back with the wheels not in 'like new' condition because they are repaired/refinished. And like faifai83 said; one of his wheels now has a minor leak...which would really **** me off. In addition, if they have to take the tires off the wheels - are they going to perfectly Road Force Balance the wheel/tire combo on a Hunter GSP 9700 machine like they were before the dealership messed them up?

Personally, I would most definitely NOT be happy with what they did, nor happy at all with what they are doing to [so-call] fix it. That's no better than the dealership smashing in your driver's door, but says they will fix it with Bondo and paint it from a spray can. It ain't the same as it was before the dealership messed it up! And the dealership could care less...
Old 02-23-16, 04:02 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Personally, I would most definitely NOT be happy with what they did, nor happy at all with what they are doing to [so-call] fix it. That's no better than the dealership smashing in your driver's door, but says they will fix it with Bondo and paint it from a spray can. It ain't the same as it was before the dealership messed it up! And the dealership could care less...
Yeah, and if I bought the car, I would be alot more upset. They're having the wheels refinished, and it's a lease with 6 months remaining, so as long as they look good for the lease return, I'm happy.

Also one of the wheels already had damage on the finish from god knows what (on the actual spokes, no idea what happened) and this refinish job is taking care of that too, which I would have had to come out of pocket for. All in all, I see this as a win. Am I pissed the dealer scraped the wheels to start with? Of course. The last thing you expect a retailer to do is return something to you in worse condition than you gave it to them in, especially after you spent money on service. But the thing with wheels is that people rash them every day and I imagine the dealer soaks up a LOT of blame from people that knew and pinned it on them unfairly, or didn't know and just noticed when looking over their shiny car after service. I can kinda see both sides of this thing and feel somewhat fortunate that they are taking care of the wheels.

Again, long game here, it's a lease, it's not really "my car", and I'll have something fresh in half a year, so no big deal.

Sorry for derailing the thread. Back to the rear thunk sounds, check your sunroof assembly if you have one was my original point.
Old 02-23-16, 08:18 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the same problem! took your advice about using my hand and pushing on the headliner behind my head for stopping the noise. You can also feel some of the vibration once you put your hand there too before pushing on it.

Just curious, did the dealer have to take apart the sunroof or headliner to fix it? Sorry about the wheels, but I've heard horror stories here about dealers making the sunroof worse sometimes by introducing creaking noises and leaks.

Quick Reply: Thunk sound from the passenger rear when driving over bumps