GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 issues, possibly electrical

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 06:35 PM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 issues, possibly electrical

Earlier this evening I had the overhead trim light panel down, trying to look at where to tap my radar. I didn't splice any wires or do anything, I just was looking. Once I put everything back together, I noticed my TPMS light was on. Additionally, the auto headlights were no longer working. On top of that I can't shift my car out of park unless I pop off that shift override cover and press down on it to get my car into gear. Any ideas what the issue might be? I just got my car exactly a week ago, and still have warranty, the car is going to Lexus first thing in the morning on Monday. Are all these issues interconnected? I feel like they might be. I called a buddy who is a Lexus tech at my local dealer and he said it sounded unusual.
Old 02-13-16, 07:00 PM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

So I just notice my parking sensors and rear sunshade button don't work either. My guess is a tripped fuse?
Old 02-13-16, 07:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by raunb23
Earlier this evening I had the overhead trim light panel down, trying to look at where to tap my radar. I didn't splice any wires or do anything, I just was looking. Once I put everything back together, I noticed my TPMS light was on. Additionally, the auto headlights were no longer working. On top of that I can't shift my car out of park unless I pop off that shift override cover and press down on it to get my car into gear. Any ideas what the issue might be? I just got my car exactly a week ago, and still have warranty, the car is going to Lexus first thing in the morning on Monday. Are all these issues interconnected? I feel like they might be. I called a buddy who is a Lexus tech at my local dealer and he said it sounded unusual.
Sounds like you either have a damaged/failed brake light switch or the shift interlock solenoid is damaged/failed. The ability to shift a from Park requires that you depress the brake pedal. If the brake light switch is damaged/failed or the fuse that controls this circuit is open (blown) the shifter will not be allowed to move from the Park position. The shift interlock solenoid prevents shifting out of Park without depressing the brake pedal. The two circuits work together (electrically interlock), so if either (brake switch or shift interlock switch) is damaged/failed you will not be able to shift from Park.

You obviously damaged one of the two switches, or caused one or more fuses to open up (blow). I'm guessing you have one or more blown fuses. Do your brake lights work? If they do work, then check your fuses because the brake switch is okay.
Old 02-13-16, 07:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So I just notice my parking sensors and rear sunshade button don't work either. My guess is a tripped fuse?
Probably fuses (plural).
Old 02-13-16, 07:27 PM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

The brake lights do work. My cigarette lighter port does not as well. My only guess is fuses.
Old 02-13-16, 07:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The brake lights do work. My cigarette lighter port does not as well. My only guess is fuses.
That's a damn good guess!

Do you not recall doing anything that would have caused an electrical fault? It certainly appears that you caused one or more circuit-to-circuit shorts, or circuit-to-ground shorts.
Old 02-13-16, 07:40 PM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
That's a damn good guess!

Do you not recall doing anything that would have caused an electrical fault? It certainly appears that you caused one or more circuit-to-circuit shorts, or circuit-to-ground shorts.
No not really, my only guess is I accidentally did something
Old 02-13-16, 07:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

No not really, my only guess is I accidentally did something
Well, it appears that you have numerous electrical things (parking sensors, rear sunshade, auto headlights, shifter interlock, etc.) in the car that are not working...and all those things are not all protected by the same [singular] fuse.
Old 02-13-16, 07:53 PM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

Well, it appears that you have numerous electrical things (parking sensors, rear sunshade, auto headlights, shifter interlock, etc.) in the car that are not working...and all those things are not all protected by the same [singular] fuse.
So potentially more than one fuse in affected?

As I said, I still have warranty so I'll have my guy take a look Monday.
Old 02-13-16, 07:57 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

So potentially more than one fuse in affected?

As I said, I still have warranty so I'll have my guy take a look Monday.
That's your best bet. Put everything back together and back away slowly. When you turn it into Lexus, put on your surprised face and let them work it out.
Old 02-13-16, 07:58 PM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
That's your best bet. Put everything back together and back away slowly. When you turn it into Lexus, put on your surprised face and let them work it out.
That was the plan. I'll act surprised and have no idea what it could be.
Old 02-14-16, 11:49 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

OP - Why not check the fuses yourself?
Old 02-14-16, 01:29 PM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

OP - Why not check the fuses yourself?
I was considering that but I don't want to mess around with anything anymore.
Old 02-14-16, 09:21 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Op I blew a fuse on my RX trying to install my Led reverse lights. That trip to the dealer cost me just under $400 to fix. I was out of warranty. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with the car at first as a lot of items stopped working. They later realized it was a fuse. They thought something was wrong with my gear shifter sensor or whatever it's called as they kept getting different codes.
Old 02-15-16, 05:06 AM
raunb23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Op I blew a fuse on my RX trying to install my Led reverse lights. That trip to the dealer cost me just under $400 to fix. I was out of warranty. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with the car at first as a lot of items stopped working. They later realized it was a fuse. They thought something was wrong with my gear shifter sensor or whatever it's called as they kept getting different codes.
Thanks for the input, sounds like we have the exact same problem. My car has 41k on the clock and I know I still have the facrtory warranty left for another year, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: GS350 issues, possibly electrical