GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Decent dealerships in tri-state area

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 05:05 AM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent dealerships in tri-state area

I'm looking to buy a CPO lexus and looking for some dealerships that are more customer oriented and willing to negotiate a good deal. If anyone had any suggestions or experiences, please share.

Another thing I'm seeing is that a lot of these dealers are advertising their price as "internet price." I called a few to negotiate over the phone but they would simply not budge on that price. Maybe I'm not approaching it right but any tips on negotiation would be helpful too. And is it worth mentioning to a dealer that another dealership within the area is offering a similar car at a lower advertised price?

Last edited by fre3way3; 02-08-16 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 05:17 AM
isekii
Rookie

I think you pretty much have the upper hand in any negotiation.
2016 refresh are out, they have cars that they need to move. If you have a price you're set on, i'd offer lower than that and see if they counter.
Plus Jan/Feb i think is the slowest time of the year?
Old 02-08-16, 06:55 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a CPO and they were trying to stick to their internet price. I got them down a few hundred dollars but they wouldn't budge more so I had them throw in the spoiler and all season mats. I've bought from Prestige Lexus and Lexus of Rt. 10 which are both in jersey and had a great experience with both. Def let them know about similar cars with similar mileage. I did that this time and was the only way they would move off their internet price. Also search for the cars through Autotrader and click on the CarFax. That'll show you how long the dealer has had the car on their lot so you'll know which ones they're more eager to sell.
Old 02-08-16, 07:51 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I've made the dealership recommendation before for NY and mentioned that personally I'd stay away from the dealerships in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens.

I've purchased 3 CPO cars from Lexus of Mt. Kisco in the last 3 years and have had a very good experience with negotiating down the price and getting a good deal with them.

I've also dealt with Prestige Lexus in NJ (Bill Lamb) over the phone and he was very accommodating (but they don't typically negotiate price over the phone).

Best of Luck!
Old 02-08-16, 08:39 AM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the forum members is selling his nicely modded 4GS if you're out in Long Island to take a look at it.

It's tough searching for a preowned -- you never know the previous history or if it's been painted (never fully rely on carfax/autocheck)
Old 02-08-16, 09:43 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Try www.dealerrater.com for Lexus and other dealers
Old 02-08-16, 10:25 AM
justjosh
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Speaking from experience working at Lexus and selling cars there is nothing a dealer hates the most than negotiating over the phone. Think about it, a dealer doesn't have much to gain over negotiating over the phone. Go to the dealer in person and make sure you LIKE the car first. Then sit down and negotiate. A dealer is much more willing to deal when you are at the store in person and ready to BUY that car if you can come to an agreement.
Old 02-08-16, 11:23 AM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Originally Posted by da mayor
one of the forum members is selling his nicely modded 4GS if you're out in Long Island to take a look at it.

It's tough searching for a preowned -- you never know the previous history or if it's been painted (never fully rely on carfax/autocheck)
Is this 4GS not posted in the classifieds section? I didn't see it on the first page. I'm in the market for a 4GS and would love to take a look at it.
Old 02-08-16, 11:34 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased my gs350 from Ray Catena Lexus in Larchmont, NY. I had a good experience there and would definitely recommend them.
Old 02-08-16, 12:06 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neles
I purchased my gs350 from Ray Catena Lexus in Larchmont, NY. I had a good experience there and would definitely recommend them.
All of their cars are overpriced compared to other lexus dealers. The ones in NJ seem to have the best overall price as of now.
Old 02-08-16, 12:08 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by justjosh
Speaking from experience working at Lexus and selling cars there is nothing a dealer hates the most than negotiating over the phone. Think about it, a dealer doesn't have much to gain over negotiating over the phone. Go to the dealer in person and make sure you LIKE the car first. Then sit down and negotiate. A dealer is much more willing to deal when you are at the store in person and ready to BUY that car if you can come to an agreement.
That's what I thought too but I read people buying cars by calling over the phone so I thought maybe it was some new thing. But I'll definitely go and check them out. Btw, if dealer is asking 29500 or 30,000 for a car, how much should I negotiate? Is it fair to ask for that listing price as the out-the-door price or should I even go lower?
Old 02-08-16, 12:09 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nerv81
I just bought a CPO and they were trying to stick to their internet price. I got them down a few hundred dollars but they wouldn't budge more so I had them throw in the spoiler and all season mats. I've bought from Prestige Lexus and Lexus of Rt. 10 which are both in jersey and had a great experience with both. Def let them know about similar cars with similar mileage. I did that this time and was the only way they would move off their internet price. Also search for the cars through Autotrader and click on the CarFax. That'll show you how long the dealer has had the car on their lot so you'll know which ones they're more eager to sell.
How do you transition over from negotiating price to negotiating options such as all weather mats?
Old 02-08-16, 01:54 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

If they can't move on the price as you're negotiating, say something like "if thats your bottom price for me, then thrown in some all-weather mats, a spoiler, an extra key, a rear-bumper applique (Blah blah blah) and that might help me make a final decision."

If you're a serious buyer, they'll be able to tell that giving you a few simple things could pull in a sale and swing you toward buying. If they can't negotiate at all, its up to you to decide if thats good enough for you...

I believe NYS has a law that says dealers cannot charge a dealer fee/documentation fee that is more than $75 but a LOT of buyers are unaware of this and dealers try to keep this hush-hush: http://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/let-buyer-be-aware

New Jersey does not have that restriction so you may run into a few dealers that charge prep/doc fees of $250-$1000 depending on the dealership. So although the prices might be lower in NJ, it may work out to be the same because of their higher fees - keep that in mind.
Old 02-08-16, 04:11 PM
Mmc228
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I've made the dealership recommendation before for NY and mentioned that personally I'd stay away from the dealerships in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens.

I've purchased 3 CPO cars from Lexus of Mt. Kisco in the last 3 years and have had a very good experience with negotiating down the price and getting a good deal with them.

I've also dealt with Prestige Lexus in NJ (Bill Lamb) over the phone and he was very accommodating (but they don't typically negotiate price over the phone).

Best of Luck!

Who did you buy your vehicle from Mt Kisco? I also bought my car from them.
Old 02-08-16, 04:50 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mmc228
Who did you buy your vehicle from Mt Kisco? I also bought my car from them.
The first two cars I purchased from Carl Hoffman (who is no longer there) and the pre-owned sales manager Scott Orofino (who is also no longer there).

I bought my 4GS from Elgin Swift who is the current Pre-Owed Sales manager. Did you recently deal with Mt. Kisco?

Quick Reply: Decent dealerships in tri-state area