GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

NextFit Infant/Baby Seat in F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 07:47 PM
depechek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NextFit Infant/Baby Seat in F-Sport

Our new baby doesn't seem to sit comfortably in his new seat (Chicco NextFit) in our new F-Sport. I have the recline on the NextFit all the way back (#9) and he is still sitting very upright. The backseat maybe too deep/steep. Anyone else has this problem? What is everyone else using for an infant seat that doesn't have that problem. Will be getting a new seat tomorrow.
Old 01-29-16, 09:06 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by depechek
Our new baby doesn't seem to sit comfortably in his new seat (Chicco NextFit) in our new F-Sport. I have the recline on the NextFit all the way back (#9) and he is still sitting very upright. The backseat maybe too deep/steep. Anyone else has this problem? What is everyone else using for an infant seat that doesn't have that problem. Will be getting a new seat tomorrow.
Have you tried raising the headrest above the baby seat or removing it? Sometime that will give you a few more degrees of decline since the top of the baby seat is probably resting against the headrest.
Old 01-29-16, 09:19 PM
depechek
Driver

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Have you tried raising the headrest above the baby seat or removing it? Sometime that will give you a few more degrees of decline since the top of the baby seat is probably resting against the headrest.
I'll get that a try but I believe that headrest is part of the infant insert. I think a convertible seat such as the NextFit doesn't work with the GS.
Old 01-29-16, 09:26 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

I'll get that a try but I believe that headrest is part of the infant insert. I think a convertible seat such as the NextFit doesn't work with the GS.
By headrest, I meant the car headrest. Lift up or remove the cars headrest at the seat you are installing the baby seat. Sorry I was not clear enough with my explanation.

In addition, I am not sure what the car seat you have looks like but the car seat we used sat much more reclined when I remove the vehicle headrest so the car seat can sit just a few degrees more reclined in the seat.
Old 01-29-16, 09:28 PM
depechek
Driver

Originally Posted by Davenlei
By headrest, I meant the car headrest. Lift up or remove the cars headrest at the seat you are installing the baby seat. Sorry I was not clear enough with my explanation.

In addition, I am not sure what the car seat you have looks like but the car seat we used say much more reclined when I remove the vehicle headrest.
No that won't work since the infant/baby seat is rear-facing.
Old 01-29-16, 09:30 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

No that won't work since the infant/baby seat is rear-facing.
Ah, got it. I forgot about the rear seating. Try putting a few towels under the "bucket" portion of the vehicle seat bottom to make it a flatter surface for the car seat to sit on. I had to do that for my other car when we had a rear facing car seat.

Another option I did was to put the car seat in the middle and use one latch for each side to secure the car seat. The middle of the rear seats is a flatter bottom surface to help the incline. I also liked doing that because it gave over a foot of airspace between the car seat and doors on each side in case of a side impact.

Last edited by Davenlei; 01-29-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 09:50 PM
depechek
Driver

Cool will try the rolled towel to level out the base. My wife or I sit in the back with the baby so center position won't work for now-will use the center position down the road.
Old 01-30-16, 05:33 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would NOT recommend putting a towel under the seat. Especially rolled up. That compromises a lot of safety. I have read multiple times that it's recommended to not even use a seat protector under the child seat. So I don't, never did. And the seat always went back to normal after a while. But don't roll up a towel to adjust the seat, that is not a good idea.
Old 01-30-16, 06:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We used a Chico Keyfit infant seat and it fit well. Now we have a Britax convertible and it also works well. Most stores will let you take a demo seat out to your car to test fit it so take advantage of that.
Old 01-30-16, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Yeah big No No on the rolled towel. I suggested that and my wife tore me a new face. The car seat should fully contact the seat.

Unfortunately we found the GS doesn't hold rear facing seats well at all...I would try the middle of the seat.
Old 01-30-16, 09:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's really just the infant seat that's tough. Once you get to a rear facing convertible seat, the GS is fine. My front passenger seat is almost all the way back with our rear facing seat behind it. I have long legs (36 inch inseam) and can ride comfortably there all day. We're very happ our boy finally outgrew the infant seat! It was really tough in the IS...
Old 01-30-16, 09:11 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah infant seats suck. They hardly fit in any vehicle..
Old 01-30-16, 09:35 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah big No No on the rolled towel. I suggested that and my wife tore me a new face. The car seat should fully contact the seat.

Unfortunately we found the GS doesn't hold rear facing seats well at all...I would try the middle of the seat.
Unfortunately the center seat in the GS 350 does not have the Latch system.

But, you can easily modify the center seat position to use the Latch system to accept a car seat.

Also, this Prince Lionheart 2-Stage Car Seat Saver is a nice seat protector to use underneath the car seat.
Old 01-30-16, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the latch for the center. The latch is for ease of install, not for safety. You can install the seat with the belt and it should work just fine.

My issue is I have two lol, don't have two center seats.
Old 01-30-16, 12:17 PM
jjskywlker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just need one or a few pieces of foam to get the bubble level. When my first was born, we went to fire station, and they used multiple pieces of what looked to be the cheap foam pool floaties to get the seat to the proper incline. If it's good enough for fire & rescue, then that's how it shall be done. The rear seats in the GS have a steep decline.

Amazon.com: Diono Sit Rite Car Seat Installation Aid, Grey: Baby Amazon.com: Diono Sit Rite Car Seat Installation Aid, Grey: Baby

Quick Reply: NextFit Infant/Baby Seat in F-Sport