GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thoughts on this GS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 09:31 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Trogdor796.

It looks like the car is still there. I checked out the dealer site and it is still listed for the same 'sale' price. I think you can work out a really good deal if you are still interested in the car based on the fact it was in an accident, has higher than normal miles and they were unable to move the vehicle during their 'sales' event. Maybe if they still have it in a week or two from now, they will have additional motivation due to aging depreciation.
Old 02-01-16, 01:57 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Trogdor796.

It looks like the car is still there. I checked out the dealer site and it is still listed for the same 'sale' price. I think you can work out a really good deal if you are still interested in the car based on the fact it was in an accident, has higher than normal miles and they were unable to move the vehicle during their 'sales' event. Maybe if they still have it in a week or two from now, they will have additional motivation due to aging depreciation.
Yes, but technically isn't today the last day of the sales event? For the Winter Sales event it says until Feb. 1st, which I'm assuming today is included and it ends tomorrow...not sure though.

I did email them asking about the interior color looking faded, and he said it was not faded, but there is something he brought to my attention that I didn't notice before. Looking at the pictures, you can see a tear/white spot on the drivers seat. He assured me this has been fixed be their professional detailer and you can't even notice it, but I'm worried it could still be a problem in the future as the drivers seat is the most used obviously. It also worries me that if that happened to the vehicle, what else did the previous owner do, if they weren't careful with it.

Maybe I'm just being overly picky, just the way I am I guess. I'm just going to keep the page bookmarked, and see what happens in the coming days/week. If anything all the little issues are more bargaining power for me, as well as the fact that it will have been on the lot for a while like you pointed out.

One thing I'm still really torn on is the Mark Levinson sound. Has anybody here compared them/listened to both? I'd consider myself an audio guy due to my home theater and very nice headphones and amp at my PC, but will only be listening to the radio and streaming from my iPhone, no CD/DVD audio. I really wish this car had the ML audio, but maybe someone here can comment on how big of an upgrade it is. Keep in mind right now I'm using the standard audio in my 99 GS 300.
Old 02-01-16, 04:38 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trogdor796
Yes, but technically isn't today the last day of the sales event? For the Winter Sales event it says until Feb. 1st, which I'm assuming today is included and it ends tomorrow...not sure though.

I did email them asking about the interior color looking faded, and he said it was not faded, but there is something he brought to my attention that I didn't notice before. Looking at the pictures, you can see a tear/white spot on the drivers seat. He assured me this has been fixed be their professional detailer and you can't even notice it, but I'm worried it could still be a problem in the future as the drivers seat is the most used obviously. It also worries me that if that happened to the vehicle, what else did the previous owner do, if they weren't careful with it.

Maybe I'm just being overly picky, just the way I am I guess. I'm just going to keep the page bookmarked, and see what happens in the coming days/week. If anything all the little issues are more bargaining power for me, as well as the fact that it will have been on the lot for a while like you pointed out.

One thing I'm still really torn on is the Mark Levinson sound. Has anybody here compared them/listened to both? I'd consider myself an audio guy due to my home theater and very nice headphones and amp at my PC, but will only be listening to the radio and streaming from my iPhone, no CD/DVD audio. I really wish this car had the ML audio, but maybe someone here can comment on how big of an upgrade it is. Keep in mind right now I'm using the standard audio in my 99 GS 300.

Both of my Lexus vehicles have the ML audio and I really like it. I have not owned one without ML so far. When I get loaner cars without ML (ES350, RX350, NX200T) I can definitely tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, it sounds really good still but the ML sounds a lot more fuller and cleaner. But again, I am comparing my ML systems in my GX470 and GS350 to the non-ML in the ES350, RX350 and NX200T.
Old 02-06-16, 02:09 AM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Just updating this thread. So I found 2 GS 350's that have ML and both have the Luxury package as well.

First one

Second one

Had some quick questions on these. What is everyone's thoughts on the Luxury package these have opposed to the F Sport package. I want AWD either way, and the AWD F Sport models lose a bit of their advantages. I like the look of the F sport more but think I'd use the features with the luxury package more. I think I'd also prefer the wood trim in the Luxury as well. One thing I don't like about the luxury package compared to the F Sport is the wheel, I'd rather have the leather F Sport one.

Second, which color do you guys prefer? My 99 GS is black and while I like it, it's a pain to keep clean, especially in MN winters. I also feel from pictures white looks better on the 4th gen GS's as I think it contrasts better with the grille and taillights. Curious as to what you guys think, especially those that have seen both in person.

Finally, what do you think of those two cars for sale price wise? I know the dealer one has a lot of miles but it's Certified. The private seller is closer and says it comes with remainder of what I'm assuming is a Lexus extended warranty. But I'm still deciding on the color. Do you think I could get either to come down a bit?
Old 02-06-16, 12:10 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know I'm late to the party, but the stealer is usually far more interested in making a sale than ensuring you get what's best best for you. If you're still interested in this car, a 3rd party inspection (PPI) is your best bet.

Well they emailed me back this morning and assured me the minor damage was no big deal and "the vehicle looks new".
Finally, this "no biggie" entry on the Carfax will come full circle when time comes for you to sell it. I'd bet you lunch that it'd turn into a "big deal" if you ever tried to trade it back to the selling dealer down the road! If you private sell it or trade it in anywhere else, it'll also come up. The tables will be turned on you and you'll be in the difficult position of trying to explain away something that you never saw in the first place. Argh!
Old 02-06-16, 12:14 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I know I'm late to the party, but the stealer is usually far more interested in making a sale than ensuring you get what's best best for you. If you're still interested in this car, a 3rd party inspection (PPI) is your best bet.

Finally, this "no biggie" entry on the Carfax will come full circle when time comes for you to sell it. I'd bet you lunch that it'd turn into a "big deal" if you ever tried to trade it back to the selling dealer down the road! If you private sell it or trade it in anywhere else, it'll also come up. The tables will be turned on you and you'll be in the difficult position of trying to explain away something that you never saw in the first place. Argh!
Thanks for the advice. But that car got sold, i didn't move on it. Now thinking about the other two I linked.
Old 02-06-16, 12:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Of the two you linked, I would chose the white, just because I do not want to own a black car again. They both appear to be well equipped and in good shape.

I would not have minded a Luxury over an F Sport, but chose the F Sport because I preferred the styling and I found no use for rear seat heat/controls since I have kids in car seats that could not benefit from them anyway. I think either package is great.
Old 02-06-16, 12:54 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is everyone's thoughts on the Luxury package these have opposed to the F Sport package.
I think the GS350 w/Lux Pkg is where it's at IMHO.

The Base, F-Sport and Lux all have the same power plant. Since there's no difference in scoot, I see the F-Sport as largely an appearance pkg (I suspect that I'm in the minority here). The F-Sport certainly has the better looking front end and wheels, but nothing else beyond that to entice me (I don't put much stock in the F-Sport's "firmer" / "sportier" susp). Keep in mind that you can add the F-Sport bumper and/or wheels later to a Lux Pkg model...

The Lux Pkg has beautiful wood trim in place of the odd (fake?) metallic trim. The wood steering wheel is great, too. The wood trim reminds me of the LS.

The Lux Pkg adds novel rear seat controls for stereo, heated seats, rear sunscreen and HVAC. If you've got curious kids, it might not be so cool.

The Lux Pkg has the same Sport+ mode as the F-Sport, but I think it makes do with softer coils and/or springs. I figure it's 1/2 way between the Base and F-Sport. Since the base doesn't fall flat on its face in the twisties, it's probably good enough.

The Lux Pkg has more front seat adjustments than the super-adjustable ones in the F-Sport.

The Lux Pkg may add semi-aniline leather, but I'm not sure.

I wouldn't get a Lexus without ML. I "hear" from audiophiles that it's not as good as some custom audio systems, but I'm not going to the effort to get one done.

I'd also look hard for the rare HUD option. I haven't driven a GS w/HUD, but want to believe Lexus would've made a nice one.

Good luck! Car shopping is fun. My only other advice is to slow down and think it through before signing your name on anything!

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 02-06-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 01:40 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Very good points guys. I was kind of thinking that if I wanted I could add the the looks of the F sport to the Lux, but I'd probably only do the wheels, I actually don't mind the non F Sport bumper.

Do you guys think the price for the white one is fair, or would there be room to talk it down?
Old 02-06-16, 03:41 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,170 Likes on 864 Posts

The Lux package is probably the car I'd go with at that price point. The White one from the dealership is a fair price but as I mentioned in one of my other posts earlier in this thread that you can always discuss price and negotiate down or get them to throw in other items.

If you really like the look of the f-sport, you can always do the upgrades to get the front grilles, 19" wheels and rear spoiler. The biggest expense will be the wheel and tires (potentially $2k-$3k) but the upper/lower grille and the spoiler should only run you about $500-$600. You can see if the dealer will work with you on potentially doing a wheel exchange.

Keep in mind: If you buy the Lux you get all the Lux options and you can ALWAYS add the F-sport accessories. But if you buy an F-Sport, you CANNOT get the Lux-specific options.

Others on the forum have purchased non-f sports and modified them to get the f-sport appearance:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rt-wheels.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rt-grills.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ap-fsport.html
Old 02-08-16, 09:29 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Just thought I'd post an update.

After some emails back and forth today from the dealer and lots thinking on my end, I'll be purchasing the vehicle. Here's how it will end up working out:

List price on their website was $32,990. According to Truecar and a forum on reddit for asking car salesman questions, this was a good price on the vehicle. Reviews on Truecar said this dealership was a "no-haggle one", so I didn't expect a big discount on the price.

Car has new all weather tires and good amount of brake left. The dash lens will be replaced as I saw some minor scratches on it. Clear bra will be installed on hood, fenders, and mirrors. Full detail, full tank of gas. They will transport to my door ($625).

Out the door price(minus taxes, pay that here in MN) will be $33,800 with all dealership fees.

I probably could have done better, but with the car being on their lot less than 2 weeks and being luxury pkg, rear heated seats, ML, BSM, cold weather pkg, I'm happy with what I'll be paying. Compared to all the other ones on autotrader with those options I couldn't find a significantly cheaper on to compare with and talk them down more. Doesn't help that I'm far away and can't go in to negotiate either.

Regardless, I'm very excited!

Last edited by Trogdor796; 02-08-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-09-16, 03:15 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Post some pics up once you get it, congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-09-16, 06:55 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,170 Likes on 864 Posts

I think you did well with negotiating...Congrats on the purchase!
Old 02-09-16, 09:31 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Congrats! Glad you got what you wanted.
Old 02-09-16, 11:00 AM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post some pictures once I get it!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this GS 350?