GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thoughts on this GS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 11:17 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this GS 350?

I'm thinking of getting a new vehicle within the next few months. Currently I have a 1999 GS 300 w/ 139k miles which I got as my first car a few years ago, and have loved it so far. But I'd like something a bit more modern.

I was looking at both the 3rd and 4th generation of GS models, and even some IS and LS models but I think I'd like another GS. I've driven an 03 IS and never driven an LS, but I really like the GS's compromise between sport and luxury/smooth ride. Perhaps someone who's driven modern IS's and LS's could chime in how they compare.

A bit about myself, my scenario:
  • 23 year old male
  • 6'2"
  • 90% of the time it is just me in the car, but will occasionally have passengers with me
  • Live in MN and would drive whatever I got year round
  • Daily commute is very short, less than 10 miles round trip, but would make 500 mile round trips up north monthly or bi-monthly

So anyways, enough of that. Looking at all the L/Certified vehicles at dealers near me, this one caught my eye. It's AWD which would be goo in Winter, and while I really like black vehicles (what my current GS is) and also think white looks great on the 4th-gen GS, this color looks nice in the pictures. Anyone seen it in person and have thoughts?

The only thing missing that I'd like is the ML audio, but I just have the base audio in my 99 and I'm sure the audio in this is much improved.

Just curious if you guys though that was a good deal, or what you guys though of that car in general. I'm just kind of casually looking and wanted to get some input. Thank you.

EDIT - also, I see that this Lexus Winter Sales event ends Feb. 1st, and it includes a "collection of L/Certified vehicles, is that what the discount on that page is for? So after Feb. 1st the price will go up $3995? What times of the year does Lexus usually have sales events like this?

Last edited by Trogdor796; 01-27-16 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-28-16, 05:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I would want to find out more about the accident, and how well it was repaired, before even considering. It seems like it was maintained well, though.
Old 01-28-16, 08:45 AM
Trogdor796
Rookie

I've texted and emailed the dealer regarding the accident, and here is what they told me:

"The accident that shows up on the carfax is showing a side swipe with another vehicle with minor damage. What that usually means is it was something that could be buffed out such as a scratch or mark from the other vehicle. If the police show up at the scene or an insurance company is involved, then that information will show up on the car fax report. As you can see from the pictures, whatever damage was done from the side swipe has been professionally taken care of and the car is in excellent shape."

If this was closer I could go and look at it myself but I'm a good 5-6 hours away so if I went to get this I'd want to be sure of the condition before going.

Also, does anyone know if a vehicle can qualify for the L/Certified program if it's been smoked in? Another thing I don't want t drive all the way there to find even a faint smell of smoke in the vehicle. I've emailed the dealer inquiring about this but haven't heard back yet.

With the minor accident in the vehicles history, do you think I'd be able to negotiate that price down even further from the advertised Winter Sale price, or are dealers usually pretty set on those prices?
Old 01-28-16, 01:11 PM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same color interior and I don't know if its just the pictures they posted but it looked pretty faded. I would ask for some better pictures of the seats to verify the condition.
Old 01-28-16, 01:21 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Trogdor796
I've texted and emailed the dealer regarding the accident, and here is what they told me:

"The accident that shows up on the carfax is showing a side swipe with another vehicle with minor damage. What that usually means is it was something that could be buffed out such as a scratch or mark from the other vehicle. If the police show up at the scene or an insurance company is involved, then that information will show up on the car fax report. As you can see from the pictures, whatever damage was done from the side swipe has been professionally taken care of and the car is in excellent shape."

If this was closer I could go and look at it myself but I'm a good 5-6 hours away so if I went to get this I'd want to be sure of the condition before going.

Also, does anyone know if a vehicle can qualify for the L/Certified program if it's been smoked in? Another thing I don't want t drive all the way there to find even a faint smell of smoke in the vehicle. I've emailed the dealer inquiring about this but haven't heard back yet.

With the minor accident in the vehicles history, do you think I'd be able to negotiate that price down even further from the advertised Winter Sale price, or are dealers usually pretty set on those prices?
I wouldnt get any car that's been in an accident. No way for you to verify what happened. Plus the value of your car drops when you trade it in someday. Most people will take a pass on any car with an accident history and any dealership will give you very low dollars on it. Once you drive it off the lot, no one will care what your explanation is. An accident is an accident. If you plan to drive it until it melts back into the earth and you trust that dealership then go for it.
Old 01-28-16, 01:38 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

You should not be too concerned about the vehicle if the work performed was good quality and the damage was superficial (body). If there was frame, suspension or mechanical damage, I would likely walk away unless the price reflects a substantial discount and the repairs are verified as quality work.
I have seen cars practically destroyed and brought back to excellent physical/mechanical condition with good shops and relatively minor damage look like total slap jobs from crappy shops.

Either way, you should be able to negotiate the price down due to accident disclosure since it does scare away a percentage of people when they find out.
Old 01-28-16, 04:46 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I just found out I won't be able to get the funds to purchase it until a few days-week after the Winter Sales event ends. But that's okay, I don't think it would have been a good idea to rush into this anyways.

I'll probably end up watching and seeing what pops up both on here and in local dealer inventories in the next few months. Eventually I'll find one with a color and options that I really like.

Was wondering about something though. I see a lot of people on here say they are able to negotiate a lower price on brand new lexus vehicles from dealers, I've seen some people say they've gotten %12 off MSRP. Is there room for negotiation on Certified pre-owned models or is the price more concrete? I've never done the whole shopping for a car from a dealer before.
Old 01-28-16, 08:42 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I just found out I won't be able to get the funds to purchase it until a few days-week after the Winter Sales event ends. But that's okay, I don't think it would have been a good idea to rush into this anyways.

I'll probably end up watching and seeing what pops up both on here and in local dealer inventories in the next few months. Eventually I'll find one with a color and options that I really like.

Was wondering about something though. I see a lot of people on here say they are able to negotiate a lower price on brand new lexus vehicles from dealers, I've seen some people say they've gotten %12 off MSRP. Is there room for negotiation on Certified pre-owned models or is the price more concrete? I've never done the whole shopping for a car from a dealer before.
Wise not to rush into the purchase - the right car will come around, just be patient but persistent.

As far negotiation on certified cars with Lexus, typically there is room for negotiation. The GS i purchased was CPO and it was based on my criteria - make sure you have the buying power and never say what you're willing to spend. I became friends with the Sales Manager (after realizing we knew some of the same people and grew up in a similar part of town) and asked him to bring in a car with the options, color and even mileage range I wanted. If they certified it and it was to my liking and the price was right, I'd buy it from him after my inspection of the car post-certification. I negotiated down to the lowest price I could without insulting him and bought it.
I traded in my late model IS350 and saw them sell it for about $4k more than what he gave me for trading it in. He said they typically try to make at least $3k-$4k (or more) on pre-owned cars so keep this in mind.

Two things that will work in your favor: 1) If the car has been sitting on their lot for a while and it hasn't seen much activity they are more desperate to sell it and will negotiate so look out for that possibility AND 2) Shop around and show them similarly equipped cars that are priced better at other Lexus dealers and then say "why won't you match Lexus of XYZ?" --Any dealership is just plain stupid to not to try to sell you THEIR car...I used this technique to save a couple thousand on my previous car as one Lexus dealer had a similar CPO IS350 car for $1800 less and my dealership matched...but only after I negotiated.

If you show you are a serious buyer, they will take you seriously and you'll get the right car for yourself. However, if you show hesitation or lack of confidence, they will try to get over on you. And remember,like Jello - there is ALWAYS room for negotiation..even if its for a simple thing like all weather mats, illuminated sills or an extra key, negotiate for what you want!

Last edited by AJLex19; 01-28-16 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 08:33 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Wise not to rush into the purchase - the right car will come around, just be patient but persistent.

As far negotiation on certified cars with Lexus, typically there is room for negotiation. The GS i purchased was CPO and it was based on my criteria - make sure you have the buying power and never say what you're willing to spend. I became friends with the Sales Manager (after realizing we knew some of the same people and grew up in a similar part of town) and asked him to bring in a car with the options, color and even mileage range I wanted. If they certified it and it was to my liking and the price was right, I'd buy it from him after my inspection of the car post-certification. I negotiated down to the lowest price I could without insulting him and bought it.
I traded in my late model IS350 and saw them sell it for about $4k more than what he gave me for trading it in. He said they typically try to make at least $3k-$4k (or more) on pre-owned cars so keep this in mind.

Two things that will work in your favor: 1) If the car has been sitting on their lot for a while and it hasn't seen much activity they are more desperate to sell it and will negotiate so look out for that possibility AND 2) Shop around and show them similarly equipped cars that are priced better at other Lexus dealers and then say "why won't you match Lexus of XYZ?" --Any dealership is just plain stupid to not to try to sell you THEIR car...I used this technique to save a couple thousand on my previous car as one Lexus dealer had a similar CPO IS350 car for $1800 less and my dealership matched...but only after I negotiated.

If you show you are a serious buyer, they will take you seriously and you'll get the right car for yourself. However, if you show hesitation or lack of confidence, they will try to get over on you. And remember,like Jello - there is ALWAYS room for negotiation..even if its for a simple thing like all weather mats, illuminated sills or an extra key, negotiate for what you want!
Everything AJLex19 said is good info. In addition:

1) Never let them know if you have a trade or not until after the purchase price of the car you want is settled. If they ask, just say no or I have not decided that.

2) Many Lexus dealers have moved to the 'no haggle' model where they price the cars closer to market price and say they will not negotiate on price. You can still haggle a little but there is less room to bring them down so don't expect to get the 'thousands less' you can do when buying from a regular 'haggle' dealer (for pre-owned cars).
When I was in the market, I could easily see which nearby Lexus dealerships used the haggle or no haggle SOP. The haggle dealership prices for similar cars were thousands more than the no haggle dealerships.

Last edited by Davenlei; 01-29-16 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 01:12 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Well they emailed me back this morning and assured me the minor damage was no big deal and "the vehicle looks new". They wouldn't give me a quote on the trade in value of my car without seeing it in person but said to get a general idea to fill out an edmunds trade in value estimate, which came out to $2200-$2800. They ended the email really pressuring me to come see the car in person this weekend. Damn winter sales event ending Feb. 1

This would be a lot easier if I had the money in hand now rather than in a week, as well as if the dealer wasn't a good 5 hours away. Other things I'm not certain of is the color of the car and sound. It looks beautiful in some pictures but I feel this color looks best in the sun, and not so good on overcast days, which a lot of MN winter days are. Haven't seen it in person though so hard to say. As for the sound, I've heard some say the ML is not a huge difference on the 4th gen GS, or is only necessary if you listen to DVD-audio, and I would be listening to the radio and bluetooth streaming from my iPhone most of the time. I do have a really nice home theater and set of headphones at my PC, and certainly can tell the difference in sound quality.

If the timing on this was better and they were closer I'd try to get them to give me a price of $25k-$26k out the door with my trade in after looking at it in person. I guess this just wasn't meant to be
Old 01-29-16, 02:47 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Well they emailed me back this morning and assured me the minor damage was no big deal and "the vehicle looks new". They wouldn't give me a quote on the trade in value of my car without seeing it in person but said to get a general idea to fill out an edmunds trade in value estimate, which came out to $2200-$2800. They ended the email really pressuring me to come see the car in person this weekend. Damn winter sales event ending Feb. 1

This would be a lot easier if I had the money in hand now rather than in a week, as well as if the dealer wasn't a good 5 hours away. Other things I'm not certain of is the color of the car and sound. It looks beautiful in some pictures but I feel this color looks best in the sun, and not so good on overcast days, which a lot of MN winter days are. Haven't seen it in person though so hard to say. As for the sound, I've heard some say the ML is not a huge difference on the 4th gen GS, or is only necessary if you listen to DVD-audio, and I would be listening to the radio and bluetooth streaming from my iPhone most of the time. I do have a really nice home theater and set of headphones at my PC, and certainly can tell the difference in sound quality.

If the timing on this was better and they were closer I'd try to get them to give me a price of $25k-$26k out the door with my trade in after looking at it in person. I guess this just wasn't meant to be

Well, the good thing is time depreciates the car even if it does not move.

If in a week after you have the money and they still have it on the lot, it would mean their 'sale' price was not able to get it sold and it is still sitting on their lot taking up space. I would think you would have a little more negotiation room with them at that point since you can use the fact the car is still sitting there even when it was on sale (in case they raise the price back up) and that you are willing to work with them to get it off their lot if they bring the price down more since it did not sell at the $27,995 asking price.
Remember, you can negotiate other things such as all weather floor/trunk mats, extra free oil changes, free or heavily discounted extended warranty, spoiler, etc. especially if they are sticky on the price. They can also give you a bump on the trade in value to close the gap for your pocketbook even if the car price stays at the higher number.
Old 01-29-16, 05:38 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Well, the good thing is time depreciates the car even if it does not move.

If in a week after you have the money and they still have it on the lot, it would mean their 'sale' price was not able to get it sold and it is still sitting on their lot taking up space. I would think you would have a little more negotiation room with them at that point since you can use the fact the car is still sitting there even when it was on sale (in case they raise the price back up) and that you are willing to work with them to get it off their lot if they bring the price down more since it did not sell at the $27,995 asking price.
Remember, you can negotiate other things such as all weather floor/trunk mats, extra free oil changes, free or heavily discounted extended warranty, spoiler, etc. especially if they are sticky on the price. They can also give you a bump on the trade in value to close the gap for your pocketbook even if the car price stays at the higher number.
All good things to think of, this is why I post here

Also the sale price I'm referring to is the Lexus Winter Collection event if that makes a difference, which is something most dealers are doing if I'm not mistaken. I'm just going to take my time and see what happens though.

Is it true that January is the slowest sales month of the year and dealers are more compelled to sell vehicles, even if it means negotiating? If so does this usually roll over into February too since it's still the beginning of the year?
Old 01-29-16, 07:24 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Not Lexus but back in Feb of 2009 I was shopping for my dads new work car and found a 2008 Jeep grand Cherokee with leather, sunroof, upgraded sound system, etc... with 18k miles that was priced at $21,995. Because valentines day was falling on a saturday they were running a weekend promo. Promo price was reduced to $19,750. At the time I was 19 and had never really negotiated for a car before but I acted like I was my dad and negotiated online. I was able to get them down to $15,800 plus taxes and fees. I went in with my email convo incase they tried to play games, but it was the easiest car buying experience ever. The sales manager was shocked that I was the one negotiating when he found out and said I practically stole it from them. Anyways the reason I mentioned the above is to let you know that you can still get great deals in February. Since then I've negotiate for over 8 cars and have saved thousands. Btw that jeep is still running strong with over 210k miles on it and no repairs needed so far.
Old 01-29-16, 08:53 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Not Lexus but back in Feb of 2009 I was shopping for my dads new work car and found a 2008 Jeep grand Cherokee with leather, sunroof, upgraded sound system, etc... with 18k miles that was priced at $21,995. Because valentines day was falling on a saturday they were running a weekend promo. Promo price was reduced to $19,750. At the time I was 19 and had never really negotiated for a car before but I acted like I was my dad and negotiated online. I was able to get them down to $15,800 plus taxes and fees. I went in with my email convo incase they tried to play games, but it was the easiest car buying experience ever. The sales manager was shocked that I was the one negotiating when he found out and said I practically stole it from them. Anyways the reason I mentioned the above is to let you know that you can still get great deals in February. Since then I've negotiate for over 8 cars and have saved thousands. Btw that jeep is still running strong with over 210k miles on it and no repairs needed so far.
Nice, I hope I can have the same luck when the time comes! I may even end up seeing something on here though in the classifieds section, who knows.
Old 01-30-16, 05:39 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, I hope I can have the same luck when the time comes! I may even end up seeing something on here though in the classifieds section, who knows.
You'll find one soon I'm sure. I was 21 when I bought my F Sport. I'm still contemplating modding it or getting rid of it. I can't decide.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this GS 350?