GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS 350 vs Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 01:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by namzug
My last four cars had voice recognition and all of them have had issues. It was funny when I tried to demonstrate to my wife and when I asked for directions my radio would change stations. Or when I tried to move from radio to satellite radio and the phone would appear.
Do you have a heavy accent?
Old 01-25-16, 06:33 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

We have a 2016 A7 (mechanically the same as an A6) and a 2014 GS350. In performance the Audi will run off and leave the Lexus. The Lexus feels more refined and luxurious. Which do you favor, Sport or Luxury? I'm a hard core sport guy so I love the Audi.
Old 01-25-16, 07:40 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDemon
I've driven the current A6 with the supercharger as well as the 13-15 GS's while the audi maybe be faster the GS has more drama. The Audi is more dull, yes it is refined but it's not as exciting day to day.
I'll have to agree with you there. I had a brand new A6 with all the bells and whistles as a loaner car. It was fast, but it didn't feel nearly as visceral and sport-oriented as my former GS F Sport (or my current S5). While it was nice, I found it quite boring. I mentioned it to my salesman and he said I would need to move up to an S6 if I wanted real performance because the A6 is "soft". (His words, not mine.) Maybe in an S-Line package it might have been a little more connected to the road, but not in the standard form. I also found the regular seats to be quite short and unsupportive compared to the seats in the GS F Sport and S5.

Last edited by dseag2; 01-25-16 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 08:32 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

When I was pricing new and used Audi's, I was shocked how much faster they depreciated than Lexus does.
Old 01-26-16, 06:26 AM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
When I was pricing new and used Audi's, I was shocked how much faster they depreciated than Lexus does.
For many reasons I have decided to get 2016 Lexus GS 350. The car will have to be ordered as there are no cars available the way I want mine. It will have all of the electronic safety Devices available. It will not have options like rear spoiler sill lights, net, Cargo mat or wheel locks.

It will have to have the one touch trunk feature because the factory will not build it without that; at least that's what I'm told.. Car is to be eminent white/Flaxen. With 18 inch wheels

Did I neglect to mention anything that is optional for a trim color or anything Else?
Old 01-26-16, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No cargo mat? The trunk is really bare without the cargo mat, its very nice quality and its only like $100.
Old 01-26-16, 06:48 AM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Davenlei
All Euro luxury cars depreciate like a rock!

That's why we all lease them to avoid the depreciation then if we want to keep it we buy CPO.

But a Lexus like most Japanese brands will tend to keep their values much higher than a BMW, Merc, Audi or even my current Land Rover....

If you plan on keeping it, buy it. If you plan on changing out then lease it.

As for the Audi, the supercharged engine does not compare fairly to a turbo or naturally aspirated engine.
My favorite Audi is the SQ5 supercharged 3L V6 crossover - that one leaves you with a whiplash every time you drive...
Old 01-26-16, 07:17 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Maintenance on a Euro vehicle can be a nightmare and that's why they depreciate so much after the warranty runs our. My go sister took in her Audi A6 for 100K mile service and the dealer wanted $8,000!!!!

She quickly sold the car and bought a Lexus instead. LOL
Old 01-26-16, 07:18 AM
ronsinsc
Rookie

As far as paying for my plan to pay for it with a credit card if allowed that way we can get quite a few airlines miles out of it. Then I will immediately pay off the credit card with cash. As far as how long I plan to keep the car I generally keep cars until the wheels fall off or until they cost me more to repair than they're worth.

I have a small shop at home with a lift and all so I can repair just about anything as long as it's an older Porsche or Mercedes. I really can't do much with all these new cars that run on many computers.

I should also mention that the dealer from whom I buy my car from shall Open Wholesale account for me in order for me to buy parts at Wholesale.
Old 01-26-16, 08:09 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsinsc
As far as paying for my plan to pay for it with a credit card if allowed that way we can get quite a few airlines miles out of it. Then I will immediately pay off the credit card with cash. As far as how long I plan to keep the car I generally keep cars until the wheels fall off or until they cost me more to repair than they're worth.

I have a small shop at home with a lift and all so I can repair just about anything as long as it's an older Porsche or Mercedes. I really can't do much with all these new cars that run on many computers.

I should also mention that the dealer from whom I buy my car from shall Open Wholesale account for me in order for me to buy parts at Wholesale.
Make sure the dealer you buy from does not put a limit on how much you can put on a credit card. Some put low limits such as $2500 to avoid the CC fees. I was ready to buy the car with a CC to get the cash back rewards and then pay it off a few days later but was stopped by the max CC payment limit.

Last edited by Davenlei; 01-26-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 10:58 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

I have owned 3 Audi A6 and 3 GS 350, here is my bottom line.

Audi A6 is a little more fun to drive, personal electronics are better and looks a little nicer. But....................... all my Audi's had expensive repair issues once they are out of warranty. My last A6 had 51,000 miles when the water pump packed up and I was on the hook for $1,800 to fix it. Audi dealerships are also no where as nice a Lexus dealers.

That said, my GS F Sport is a terrific car and my ML audio is the best I have had, I will never buy an Audi again.
Old 01-26-16, 11:26 AM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Do you have a heavy accent?
No accent except Californian. My wife thought I was speaking too fast. Slowed down and moved closer to the speaker. Currently, my GS350 is working better. All I use it for is to move from FM to Sirius radio. Also, used the voice phone features this weekend and found my wife's number immediately.
My MBZ allowed the driver to store voice(s) into the car's computer to help with recognition program. Once the program recognized the driver's voice (inflection, speed and tone) the percentage of first commands increased dramatically.
Old 01-26-16, 11:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by namzug
No accent except Californian. My wife thought I was speaking too fast. Slowed down and moved closer to the speaker. Currently, my GS350 is working better. All I use it for is to move from FM to Sirius radio. Also, used the voice phone features this weekend and found my wife's number immediately.
My MBZ allowed the driver to store voice(s) into the car's computer to help with recognition program. Once the program recognized the driver's voice (inflection, speed and tone) the percentage of first commands increased dramatically.
I can't speak to how well it does or does not work, but you can "train" the GS as well.

MENU > SETUP > VOICE > TRAIN VOICE RECOGNITION

It gives you some phrases to say so it can learn your voice better.
Old 01-26-16, 12:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
No cargo mat? The trunk is really bare without the cargo mat, its very nice quality and its only like $100.
I put double mats on mine. 1 from the GS I traded and the F came with one. Well I paid for the first one cause the first GS didn't come with one so it's coming with me! Having double mats give me peace of mind when carrying my skateboard and other dirty stuff.
Old 01-26-16, 05:04 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I disagree with y'all on resale. Audis have a reputation for good resale, and I traded a ten month old A7 and got 82% of MSRP on trade. I checked the Value of our loaded 2014 GS Luxury with 15,000 miles on it recently and was very surprised at how much it lost. MUCH worse than the 2010 GS I had.

The Lexus IS not bad mind you, but nor is it very good any more. The big discounts on new ones are biting us on the backside.

Quick Reply: GS 350 vs Audi A6