GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS 350 vs Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 06:02 AM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 350 vs Audi A6

Has anyone compared the 2016 GS 350 against the 2016 Audi A6 with 300 and some horsepower supercharged engine?

I have extensively test driven both vehicles. I do like Audi but I'm concerned about reliability and cost of parts with the Audi as well as the cost of admission.

If I get the GS which is more likely I believe I will be quite happy. Audi to me seem to be firmer tighter and more connected to the road as well as being nearly impossible to loose traction in pouring down rain on the interstate on or offramp//

edited
Is there another higher performance Lexus I should be looking out?
I think I posted this thread in the wrong forum. If that is the case could you please move it to GS fourth generation form

Thank you for your consideration Ron

Last edited by ronsinsc; 01-23-16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 06:20 AM
BGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ronsinsc
Has anyone compared the 2016 GS 350 against the 2016 Audi A6 with 300 and some horsepower supercharged engine?

I have extensively test driven both vehicles. I do like Audi but I'm concerned about reliability and cost of parts with the Audi as well as the cost of admission.

If I get the GS which is more likely I believe I will be quite happy. Audi to me seem to be firmer tighter and more connected to the road as well as being nearly impossible to loose traction in pouring down rain on the interstate on or offramp//

Is there another higher performance Lexus I should be looking out?
You do realize you posted this is in a build thread designed to document the "build" process of your lexus
Old 01-23-16, 06:30 AM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Originally Posted by BGG
You do realize you posted this is in a build thread designed to document the "build" process of your lexus
Yes that was a mistake on my part I have already written to the moderators and asked that it be moved to the correct form which I believe is the GS fourth generation forum. I presume they will move it as soon as they check their email.
Old 01-23-16, 01:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Yes, I have driven an A6 3.0 Supercharged AWD a few years ago.
Today, the A6 is still pretty much the same car.

There's an all new E Class due mid year.
An all new 5 Series will be released next year.
The next generation of A6's won't be released till about 2018.
The next gen 5GS won't be due till 2019.

The A6 is a nice looking car, but in a different way.
Reasonably spacious.
The 3.0 supercharged is quite powerful and smooth.

The A6's suspension is very different from the GS.
Where is GS is quite firm and controlled, the A6 is soft and floaty; I know, it's the opposite of the way things were decades ago.
Around a roundabout, the A6 is prone to floating.
However, despite the floating and lack of control at speed, the A6 still had limpet-like grip under acceleration around corners thanks to its AWD.
Thus, the GS has pin sharp steering, where the A6 gives a true luxury car ride.
If the GS's ride is too firm for you, you can retrofit the original 2013 4GS' front suspension and 18" wheels.

If the A6 feels firm & more connected to the road, then check the air pressures used, and the possibility of sports suspension being fitted etc.

Yes, then there's the price and reliability.

The E Class and 5 Series are great cars too.
Not sure how the next generation E Class due mid-year will go.
However, the current E Class is a good all round package with aging styling both outside and inside.
The 5 Series in four or six, has a peaky torque curve with a noticeable flat spot and turbo boom as the turbo spools up, and its suspension for the first time in many decades is too firmly sprung while being underdamped and floaty around corners.

The E Class is presently top seller, with 5 Series second, while A6 is just a nose in front of GS for sales.
The cheaper Genesis is actually selling better than A6 and GS.
Leaving Jaguar, Infiniti and Acura behind.

The GS has fewer sales than the other three, because Lexus also has the "ES" model as well.
Strange, but Lexus has two midsize luxury sedans; one front drive and slightly cheaper, while the other rear drive and a little more expensive.
When ES and GS sales are combined, this combo is by far the best selling midsize luxury sedan in America.

Likewise, Benz, BM & Audi also have slightly more upmarket derivatives called the CLS, 6 Series and A7 respectively, however because they are more upmarket, their sales are quite limited.

All four major midsize rivals are equally great cars, but in different ways; pick whichever car suits you best.
A great choice for Jack, could be a terrible choice for Jim...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-23-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 01:30 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven the current A6 with the supercharger as well as the 13-15 GS's while the audi maybe be faster the GS has more drama. The Audi is more dull, yes it is refined but it's not as exciting day to day.
Old 01-23-16, 01:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I know this article is a bit dated but I still like it.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/six-c...luxury-sedans/
Old 01-23-16, 02:01 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Was your experience with a RWD or AWD GS350? Premium, F-sport, or Luxury model?

I have driven both and the GS handles better and feels more balanced than the A6. The A6 understeers quite a bit. I also feel the A6 exterior is a bit boring and the interior doesn't feel as upscale as competitors and starting to look a little dated.

If you want a higher performance GS, you would have to step up to the GSF which starts around $85K.
Old 01-23-16, 05:08 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Reliability issues make this a no brainer. I have had an Audi and four Lexi, and I will never go back.
Old 01-23-16, 05:19 PM
AllBlakGSF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gs350 is awesome it's just slow.
Old 01-23-16, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I extensively compared the GS and A6 before I got my 2013 GS, and I looked at the refreshed A6 again before I got the LS.

The A6 is a great car, in a lot of ways I like the way it drives more than the GS, Its softer and less taut, so your feeling that the A6 was tauter surprises me. May have had an A6 with larger wheels?

The GS has a significantly better interior than the A6, but I actually think the A6 is a better looking car, one of the best looking sedans on the road IMHO.

What kept me out of an A6 is Audi does not have a good lease, I would have paid $200 more a month for a relatively similar equipped A6 ($60K). As an example, the lease payment on my $80k LS is about what the lease payment would be on a $60k A6.

Reliability, I know several people with modern Audis and they haven't had any significant reliability issues. If you're going to keep the car 5 years+ that tilts it in favor of the Lexus, otherwise I wouldn't be worried about the Audi.
Old 01-23-16, 06:49 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Yes, I have driven an A6 3.0 Supercharged AWD a few years ago.
Today, the A6 is still pretty much the same car.

There's an all new E Class due mid year.
An all new 5 Series will be released next year.
The next generation of A6's won't be released till about 2018.
The next gen 5GS won't be due till 2019.

The A6 is a nice looking car, but in a different way.
Reasonably spacious.
The 3.0 supercharged is quite powerful and smooth.

The A6's suspension is very different from the GS.
Where is GS is quite firm and controlled, the A6 is soft and floaty; I know, it's the opposite of the ways things were decades ago.
Around a roundabout, the A6 is prone to floating.
However, despite the floating and lack of control at speed, the A6 still had limpet-like grip under acceleration around corners thanks to its AWD.
Thus, the GS has pin sharp steering, where the A6 gives a true luxury car ride.
If the GS's ride is too firm for you, you can retrofit the original 2013 4GS' front suspension and 18" wheels.

If the A6 feels firm & more connected to the road, then check the air pressures used, and the possibility of sports suspension being fitted etc.

Yes, there's the price and reliability.

The E Class and 5 Series are great cars too.
Not sure how the next generation E Class due mid year will go.
However, the current E Class is a good all round package with aging styling both outside and inside.
The 5 Series has a peaky torque curve with a noticeable flat spot and turbo boom as the turbo spools up, and its suspension for the first time in many decades is too firmly sprung while being underdamped and floaty around corners.

The E Class is presently top seller, with 5 Series second, while A6 is just a nose in front of GS for sales.
The cheaper Genesis is actually selling better than A6 and GS.
Leaving Jaguar, Infiniti and Acura behind.

The GS has fewer sales than the other three, because Lexus also has the "ES" model as well!
Strange, but Lexus has two midsize luxury sedans; one front drive and slightly cheaper, while the other rear drive and a little more expensive.
When ES and GS sales are combined, this combo is by far the best selling midsize luxury sedan in America.

Benz, BM & Audi also have the slightly more upmarket twins called the CLS, 6 Series and A7 respectively, however because they are more upmarket, their sales are quite limited.

All four major midsize rivals are equally great cars, but in different ways; pick whichever car suits you best.
A great choice for Jack, could be a terrible choice for Jim...
I like the A6 and is considered a Sport Luxury car. More on the luxury side than the BMW. But the biggest difference between the A6 and GS is the price. Also, is the fit and finish inside both cars. Audi focus on the inside the car more than the outside. I have an 2014 E350 MBZ and compared to my GS350 Fsport the main difference is the ride and electronics. Fsport ride is harsher (larger tires) and handles better but the fit finish in the MBZ is better.
Old 01-25-16, 11:20 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

The voice recognition and nav system is a whole lot better in the A6.
Old 01-25-16, 11:35 AM
mattds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i compared both....for me it was the ability to tune the A6 (with chip and pulley you're at 450hp) and the drivetrain over all is much more modern. In the end i went with the GS as its' my second lexus and they are beyond reliable. Also i wanted adaptive cruise control and i found a GS that had it, while i could not find an A6 that did.

I also have to admit, i seldom get to drive the car fast...and when i do it's always fast enough....but enough is never really enough is it?
Old 01-25-16, 11:56 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The Audi will get u to a grocery store a few seconds faster, that's it.

U won't be able to tell the difference between new E class and C and S anymore, they all look a like. I think Mercedes' designers got lazy and just shrink the S class drawing to make the C and E.
Old 01-25-16, 12:37 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
The voice recognition and nav system is a whole lot better in the A6.
My last four cars had voice recognition and all of them have had issues. It was funny when I tried to demonstrate to my wife and when I asked for directions my radio would change stations. Or when I tried to move from radio to satellite radio and the phone would appear.

Quick Reply: GS 350 vs Audi A6