GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

'15 GS, hump on side by gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 02:50 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '15 GS, hump on side by gas pedal?

Hello all, I know I ask a bunch of questions and this one intrigues me a bit. My Subaru Outback was pretty comfortable for my feet (above the ankle) (I have had issues over the year in my shine from driving, always my right foot and I believe it is positional and the use of the gas pedal. I had it with my GS (not on the test drive but until about a week ago). I remembered on the test drives I rested my leg on the small hump on the wall the separates driver and passenger areas... I had no discomfort. So I started to do that again and it does change the use of my right leg and how I apply pressure to the pedal but I have no pain. Wondering if others have thoughts or experience with this. (I know it takes time to find that perfect or as close as one can driving position).

BTW, at 1200 miles around town Gas Mileage sucks, but when I am on the highway it is very good and when I mix city and highway it is acceptable. I am using Shell 94 (maybe 93) octane as I get a bunch off a gallon on Shell due to food shopping (a deal with the grocer and Shell). Maybe it is the gas, maybe the car is just too new, I am hoping for better around town mileage since that is most of what I do.

Thanks
Old 01-21-16, 03:56 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

AWD GS ? It must be the front diff.
Old 01-21-16, 04:03 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Yes, AWD, so it is not designed for my leg to have a place to rest... OK, but I can use it that way.. Thanks Bartman
Old 01-21-16, 04:05 PM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
Hello all, I know I ask a bunch of questions and this one intrigues me a bit. My Subaru Outback was pretty comfortable for my feet (above the ankle) (I have had issues over the year in my shine from driving, always my right foot and I believe it is positional and the use of the gas pedal. I had it with my GS (not on the test drive but until about a week ago). I remembered on the test drives I rested my leg on the small hump on the wall the separates driver and passenger areas... I had no discomfort. So I started to do that again and it does change the use of my right leg and how I apply pressure to the pedal but I have no pain. Wondering if others have thoughts or experience with this. (I know it takes time to find that perfect or as close as one can driving position).

BTW, at 1200 miles around town Gas Mileage sucks, but when I am on the highway it is very good and when I mix city and highway it is acceptable. I am using Shell 94 (maybe 93) octane as I get a bunch off a gallon on Shell due to food shopping (a deal with the grocer and Shell). Maybe it is the gas, maybe the car is just too new, I am hoping for better around town mileage since that is most of what I do.

Thanks
I have a 2015 GS350 AWD Fsport; 5000 miles.

Hump = front differential

Gas mileage:
* NORMAL mode: 17-18 mix city/hwy heavier on city
* ECO mode: 19-21 same mix

ECO does actually make a difference. I typically drive in it when I'm in traffic, etc. What's the point? I'm not going anywhere fast.[/LIST]normal mode with mix but heavier city i get 17-18
Old 01-21-16, 04:52 PM
BB11
Intermediate

wiredup, thanks. I thought I read in the Lexus manual that eco mode was good to use on highways (seemed strange to me) when changes in speed were common... I will start to use it around town to see what I find.. I would like to see a bit better than the 16.5 i am getting right now on the last fill up, but I have only been around town as mentioned. 19-21 would be much nicer. Thanks.
Old 01-21-16, 04:59 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wiredup
I have a 2015 GS350 AWD Fsport; 5000 miles.

Hump = front differential

Gas mileage:
* NORMAL mode: 17-18 mix city/hwy heavier on city
* ECO mode: 19-21 same mix

ECO does actually make a difference. I typically drive in it when I'm in traffic, etc. What's the point? I'm not going anywhere fast.[/LIST]normal mode with mix but heavier city i get 17-18
In my experience, ECO mode (or any other mode, for that matter) makes no difference at all, but I seem to get better gas mileage than anyone else on this forum reports or claims. Driving style? That is my theory. YMMV.
Old 01-21-16, 05:03 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ECL
In my experience, ECO mode (or any other mode, for that matter) makes no difference at all, but I seem to get better gas mileage than anyone else on this forum reports or claims. Driving style? That is my theory. YMMV.
I am pretty light on the pedal, do not pump it, not rushing around. Will see as the car gets broken in... by 5K I will have a much better idea if not sooner.
Old 01-22-16, 07:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes I use it as a foot rest on mine. Quite liking the unintended benefits actually. Yes gas mileage does suck but I only have 800 miles so far.
Old 01-22-16, 10:49 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't bother with Eco mode in town, it can actually hurt mileage. It's designed for long highway trips. It scales throttle response back, stays in the highest gear possible at any given speed, and will even cut the AC condenser and fan speed down, anything to save power.

I'll use it in bumper to bumper traffic just to make the car "relax" but otherwise, it's sport mode or normal.
Old 01-22-16, 11:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Don't bother with Eco mode in town, it can actually hurt mileage. It's designed for long highway trips. It scales throttle response back, stays in the highest gear possible at any given speed, and will even cut the AC condenser and fan speed down, anything to save power.

I'll use it in bumper to bumper traffic just to make the car "relax" but otherwise, it's sport mode or normal.
Quite the opposite. Eco mode is most effective in town/stop and go. When you are constantly accelerating and decelerating the transmission will get to the higher gear as early as possible, and soften the varying throttle inputs, enabling the savings. While on the freeway, you can't really take advantage of that as you'll be steady and moving along in your top gear (6th or 8th depending on AWD or RWD).
Old 01-22-16, 01:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Here's some views of the car, if that's of any help.

Old 01-22-16, 01:59 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

ECO around town will compel you to press even harder on the throttle just to stay with
traffic and the A/C will struggle to overcome frequent door openings. ECO works best
for me on the Highway when using cruise. Didn't like the cruise forcing a sudden
downshift when going uphill? You will be happy to know that ECO solved that one...
it will permit the speed to decline on the incline, recovering once you are flat and level.
Old 01-22-16, 02:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Eco drive mode
Use Eco drive mode to help achieve low fuel consumption during trips
that involve frequent accelerating.
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM30E15U.pdf

Page 244 of the '15 owners manual.

I read that to mean stop/go or city driving, as the only time I do any acceleration of note on the freeway is the brief time spent on the on-ramp.
Old 01-22-16, 04:10 PM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
wiredup, thanks. I thought I read in the Lexus manual that eco mode was good to use on highways (seemed strange to me) when changes in speed were common... I will start to use it around town to see what I find.. I would like to see a bit better than the 16.5 i am getting right now on the last fill up, but I have only been around town as mentioned. 19-21 would be much nicer. Thanks.
The car isn't as peppier and the a/c is drawn down a bit. I'm fine with it b/c I run around in DC traffic. I go to NORMAL when it's super cold/hot outside or I'm in the get up and go mode. I disagree with some you can run in NORMAL and get the same ECO mileage. I drive the same in both and get 2-3 miles per gallon more. Same situation when I had my 2013 RWD.