GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Oil Change interval is 10k miles correct?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 02:30 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
Talking Oil Change interval is 10k miles correct?

Just making sure..

I don't mind the 10k annual oil changes.. it's a lease..
Old 01-20-16, 02:31 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it's 10K.
Old 01-20-16, 02:53 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Synthetic oil = 10k miles or a little less
Old 01-23-16, 12:05 PM
Cathy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Synthetic oil = 10k miles or a little less
then is toyota 0w20 full synthetic?
Old 01-23-16, 02:41 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Originally Posted by Cathy
then is toyota 0w20 full synthetic?
Looks like it is, according to this long discussion with some concerned Prius owners:

http://priuschat.com/threads/is-toyo...thetic.130764/

The 5k interval is the dealerships way of getting you to come back for tire rotations, other checks, etc. The oil change is at the 10k interval.
Old 01-24-16, 12:29 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

What?? Are they nuts?? I do mine every 5K or if I'm beating on it 3K max. Dirty oil will wear out your piston rings faster and you will loose compression faster this way. My is350 has 77k on it and I only lost 5 psi on the worst piston. Engine is like brand new and still get around the same gas mileage as new. The oil filter can catch most of the particles in the oil some say 99.9 but that .1% is enough to wear the parts quicker that you guys think.
Old 01-24-16, 06:32 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My local Lexus Dealer uses 2 grades of Toyota oil for oil changes, a synthetic and a non-synthetic. Both are 0w20. Recommended oil changes are 10,000miles/1 yr. for synthetic, and 5000 miles/6 months for non-synthetic. Below is an email coupon they sent me last week for an oil change.

"Client Appreciation Special
This offer includes:

Oil and filter service (with up to 7 quarts of non-synthetic oil)
Multi-point inspection

For an amazing low price of

$69.95 - Non-Synthetic Oil

$89.95 - Synthetic Oil

This offer is exclusive for Lexus vehicles only."
Old 01-24-16, 01:42 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Originally Posted by isfdude
What?? Are they nuts?? I do mine every 5K or if I'm beating on it 3K max. Dirty oil will wear out your piston rings faster and you will loose compression faster this way. My is350 has 77k on it and I only lost 5 psi on the worst piston. Engine is like brand new and still get around the same gas mileage as new. The oil filter can catch most of the particles in the oil some say 99.9 but that .1% is enough to wear the parts quicker that you guys think.
Are you a mechanic? My mechanic says 10k for synthetics and so do other mechanics. Not the crooks at Jiffy Lube.
Old 01-24-16, 02:51 PM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5k for standard oil. Remember folks, even though the oil may be in great shape the oil gets dirty from wear and tear. Oil can actually go way beyond the recommended change, but it's the metal shavings and particles that need to be removed.
Old 01-24-16, 03:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The accepted mileage Toyota Recommends is great. However if you lease who gives a crap.
In regards to anyone else, it depends on what oil and your driving conditions. Lexus oil and filter should be able to last 10K in normal driving conditions. However dealers tend to use their own bulk oil, which may or may not be acceptable additive pack wise, as toyota 0w20 synthetic is usually Mobil 1, with a greater additive package (so not really the same as picking up M1 from AZ). If you DIY, your introducing your own designed oil fiter and oil the recommened might not fly.

Your mechanic is just a guy who can tell you his experiences but may or may not be accurate. The only proper way is data. If your want to be accurate and adaptive to you engine needs, do a couple UOA and VOA analysis. That way you can pool the data and oil intervals precisly to your model and driving conditions.
Old 01-24-16, 03:35 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

The notion that oil gets "dirty" is a complicated discussion and it is based upon variables. What it mostly gets is contaminated by moisture, and that too is based upon driving variables. To say that 10,000 miles is too long is a very broad statement. And to further that, synthetic vs non-synthetic is based upon oil breaking down. Synthetic can become contaminated by moisture just as easily as non-synthetic. Generalizing is just that. Everyone has to look at their own driving habits and conditions.
Old 01-24-16, 07:46 PM
ohsown
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I average 11-12,000 miles/yr. I change the oil twice a year (synthetic ), just after switching winter to summer tires in the spring and again when switching back in the fall. The dealer reprograms TPS monitors for free with the oil change. Fresh oil before and after winter. Works for me and minimum cost for what I consider one of the most important maintenance items.
Old 01-24-16, 08:45 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsown
The dealer reprograms TPS monitors for free with the oil change. .
You know the second set is registered only once and then you press a button to select between set 1 and set 2 of tires ?
Old 01-24-16, 09:26 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Are you a mechanic? My mechanic says 10k for synthetics and so do other mechanics. Not the crooks at Jiffy Lube.
I work with high performance cars and engine advancement. I love working on cars. But I have noticed that they want people to do later oil changes so you will be ready to purchase a new car at 100k mileage. Think about it, why would the dealer want your car to be in great running cond? They won't make any money from anyone if the cars today lasted like they did years ago.
Old 01-24-16, 09:34 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The notion that oil gets "dirty" is a complicated discussion and it is based upon variables. What it mostly gets is contaminated by moisture, and that too is based upon driving variables. To say that 10,000 miles is too long is a very broad statement. And to further that, synthetic vs non-synthetic is based upon oil breaking down. Synthetic can become contaminated by moisture just as easily as non-synthetic. Generalizing is just that. Everyone has to look at their own driving habits and conditions.
If that is so, I want you to use a magnet oil plug on the next oil change you do and when you get to change the oil again you will see microscopic silver shavings that make it through your oil filter. Not caused by moisture. That is what the oil pcv system does, it also removed moisture of any in the oil. The main part of the engine getting dirty is caused by break down and gas that has passed through the piston rings also know as carbon. If moisture gets in the oil it will leave back sludge. I have been designing engine for 10 years now and know just about everything there is to know.

Quick Reply: Oil Change interval is 10k miles correct?