GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bluetooth Music Media NOT resuming properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 08:16 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bluetooth Music Media NOT resuming properly

As many of us know, there appears to be a bug with Music/Media restarting at the same place it left off when we turn our cars off. I have a 2013 non-Nav, Non Marl Lev system. Its done this since day one, I drive the car little, but when I do drive it, this problem forces me to listen to the same song 10 times as I do my errands, so I end up Not using a feature that I otherwise use on every rental car I use, which is a lot (I travel for sales and to inspect jobsites 1-2 times per month).

First off, its not the phone, this problem happens with iPhone 4 & 5, and Galaxy S3, S4 & S5, I have not, and do not want to hook up to an iPod or MP3 device, because my Phone IS my MP3 device, and it works in every other vehicle I drive. I have no need for NAV, as the Phone does that awesome as well, and is why the NAV in my 09 Escalade Never gets used.

So...My goal(s) of this thread are:
a) determine if this effects only 2013 models others - up to which year?

b) determine if this is random per car (reading other threads, it appears some people have no problem - but perhaps its because they are 2014, or have NAV, or have Mark Lev??? - Or is this Random per car?) - Lets find out.

c) See if anyone has a real solution, or if we can troubleshoot it and Find a solution

d) Help Other Forum Members.

What Im not looking for (and I say this because after reading a LOT of other posts, many people say to just use an iNano or something - thats not a solution, and its specifically not addressing the issue with resuming from a Phone's BlueTooth, more specifically, at least from iPhones 4 to 6, and Galaxy 3 thru 5)

Im also not looking for work-arounds, such as using a USB memory stick, or plugging phone in via Audio or USB cable, or using an ipod or mp3 players, specifically it will be to address the bug of songs not restarting where they were left off from bluetooth Phones. I take my phone with me, and use it this way on dozens of other car brands, and would like my Lexus to match the capability of what a 2010 Ford Fusion, or 2011 Hyundai can do in regards to restarting a song where they left off.

One thing that does seem to be common, is that several people have posted that they notice the phone goes into the "Stop" mode when the engine is turned off, rather than "Pause" mode - perhaps the car's computer is doing this, or maybe other cars send a Pause Signal, which Lexus is either not sending, or perhaps sending too fast/slow etc ??? Just a thought - Does anyone know more about the Bluetooth commands these cars communicate with to media/phone devices?
Old 01-14-16, 09:47 AM
Jeevz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2013 with nav, using the latest software update, and ML. Songs resume for me right where it left off.

Maybe you just need to update the software if you still have the original version.
Old 01-14-16, 10:47 AM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

2015 and ML. songs resume where it left off as well.
Old 01-14-16, 12:01 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 2013 with NAV no ML, Spotify continues where it left off when I last exited the car in the morning. I have a iPhone 6, updated iOS.
Old 01-14-16, 01:59 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

2013 w/ NAV, no ML. I use a Note 3. When I hit the Bluetooth function to listen to music off of my phone, it'll connect to whatever media I used last like soundcloud or the music player. When I turn my car off, whatever program closes also. Now I did notice when listening to music actually stored on my phone, it'll play a certain song or whatever and I shut off my car. When I turn on my car again, it plays the same song, but from the beginning instead of continuing from where it left off.
Old 01-14-16, 03:48 PM
Lexed350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dphu626
2013 w/ NAV, no ML. I use a Note 3. When I hit the Bluetooth function to listen to music off of my phone, it'll connect to whatever media I used last like soundcloud or the music player. When I turn my car off, whatever program closes also. Now I did notice when listening to music actually stored on my phone, it'll play a certain song or whatever and I shut off my car. When I turn on my car again, it plays the same song, but from the beginning instead of continuing from where it left off.
This happens to me when I pick-up a call while my BT music is on (e.g. Spotify). When I end the call, music plays at the beginning of the track...annoying. I have the ML paired with an S5.
Old 01-15-16, 07:47 PM
Gen2IS26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2014 GS with Nav and no ML, I've been having issues from the get go. I had the Galaxy S5 when I first got the car, had the constantly disconnecting issue as well as the media player not playing where it left off. The connecting issue finally fixed itself with a phone update, (now have an S6) but the media player issue is still there. Most of the time the media player won't even play upon me starting up the car, I always have to hit play on the phone first in addition to the song not playing where it left off.
Old 01-18-16, 09:23 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I dont have NAV in my car, but reading through all the posts (thank you everyone) it seems like most of the cars with NAV dont have this problem. (Except Gen2 - same prob as me, which others have reported)

I tried looking for firmware to update my system, but cant find any, and going to the dealer is $$$ (when we took to dealer before it hit 50,000 miles they simply said this issue was "normal" - just like the dealer didnt know how to turn off the annoying "connected" message that blocks the top part of the back up camera screen.

Does anyone know if the Non-Nav system has updates? How does one check to see current version?

Thank you all.

ED: I might try pairing my Samsung tablet or another MP3 player (non phone) to the car just to see if this is phone related, but the problem has happened on every phone pair so far...I havnt however had the problem of the phone unpairing/disconnecting itself...yet
Old 01-18-16, 11:32 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Just wondering: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9328038

Most of you responded that you have NAV - my 2013 has the 8 inch display, and compass button by the joystick -

Is it possible to have VAN installed on the display I have (for 2013) , or does it require diff screen hardware etc?

Im also still wondering about possible firmware/software update for Non-NAV equiped cars?
Old 01-18-16, 11:45 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

I have the same problem, but it's intermittent. Sometimes it starts from where it left, sometimes from the beginning, and other times it doesn't resume at all and I need to press play from the phone. I just got use to it.

I have an LG G2 running KitKat and I use Google Play Music.
Old 01-18-16, 02:13 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Its interesting because some people dont have the problem at all, others like you have intermittent, and other cars like mine do it every time its shut off.

Now, what Im learning is that my car with the 8" screen is "rare", most have the 12.3 screen and NAV.

Interesting note about mine: When I switch to the compass screen, there is a dimmed-out non-selectable GPS button on the left side of the screen...seems like Lexus was transitioning systems with my build date? Anyone else have similar set-up?

I was hoping there is a patch or system update available for mine, but maybe not :-(

I found a 12.3" NAV system from a 2013 online...but its $2200...and who knows if its plug and play, i bet it needs harnesses, especially since the AC compressor is only controlled via the system menu.
Old 01-18-16, 04:40 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by az-dave
Its interesting because some people dont have the problem at all, others like you have intermittent, and other cars like mine do it every time its shut off.

Now, what Im learning is that my car with the 8" screen is "rare", most have the 12.3 screen and NAV.

Interesting note about mine: When I switch to the compass screen, there is a dimmed-out non-selectable GPS button on the left side of the screen...seems like Lexus was transitioning systems with my build date? Anyone else have similar set-up?

I was hoping there is a patch or system update available for mine, but maybe not :-(

I found a 12.3" NAV system from a 2013 online...but its $2200...and who knows if its plug and play, i bet it needs harnesses, especially since the AC compressor is only controlled via the system menu.
I have the 12.3" with the last update and it's still a crappy experience. You might end up $2,200 later with the same issue.
Old 01-18-16, 06:50 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't even know they offered the little 8" in this model.

At any rate, my bluetooth streaming hasn't ever resumed since the day I bought it. That's why I keep an ipod nano in the console.
Old 01-19-16, 12:45 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Its funny you say that...I think my 2013 is a very early build in 2012 (probably one of the first - who knew).

My music has never started from where it left off either, no matter what kind of phone. But other people have different experiences, and im beginning to see its random from car to car.

Have you ever approached Lexus Dealer on it? just curious?
Old 01-19-16, 02:46 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

mine doesn't do this.. 2015 non-ML.. makes me sad.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Music Media NOT resuming properly