GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission question

Old 01-08-16, 03:44 PM
Vampireak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question

Hey guys,

So I recently leased a 2015 GS 350 AWD. The car is great. Love all the fetures. However, for some reason I feel that the transmission is a bit I ruff when it switches gears. I feel the kick. I also noticed a hang up or delay when slowing down. Has anyone had a similar situation? I am coming off a infiniti q50 and the transmission on that car was nice and smooth. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.
Old 01-08-16, 04:24 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The transmission requires some time to warm up, then it becomes smooth. However, if you're talking about when the paddles are used, personally I've felt that it gets smoother over time and that once the car can tell that you are properly going at it, it shifts perfectly.
Old 01-08-16, 09:05 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,128 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampireak
Hey guys,

So I recently leased a 2015 GS 350 AWD. The car is great. Love all the fetures. However, for some reason I feel that the transmission is a bit I ruff when it switches gears. I feel the kick. I also noticed a hang up or delay when slowing down. Has anyone had a similar situation? I am coming off a infiniti q50 and the transmission on that car was nice and smooth. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.
As far as the delay when slowing down, the GS's transmission (and the IS350 as well) will hold a higher gear a little longer to allow for better response.acceleratation if needed.

Therefore, you may feel like the transmission's RPM's are "too high" when you release the throttle but that's normal.

You'll get used to it especially when you're ready to mash the throttle instead of braking
Old 01-08-16, 09:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Which transmission mode are you in?
Eco, Normal, or Sports/+?
In Eco, the gearbox will upshift quickly, and downshift very slowly to maximize economy.
Sports mode will upshift very slowly holding onto lower gears, and downshift onto lower gears more readily to boost torque.
Normal is in between Eco and Sports.
Old 01-09-16, 04:30 AM
GS250
Driver

^I suspect he was in sport mode.
Old 01-09-16, 01:15 PM
Vampireak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I am driving in the normal mode. The car only has about 500 miles on it so I don't really want to push it just yet. Giving it some time to break it in.
Old 01-09-16, 01:56 PM
ToddsLex78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
As far as the delay when slowing down, the GS's transmission (and the IS350 as well) will hold a higher gear a little longer to allow for better response.acceleratation if needed.

Therefore, you may feel like the transmission's RPM's are "too high" when you release the throttle but that's normal.

You'll get used to it especially when you're ready to mash the throttle instead of braking
The shifting in sport mode is amazing...I love how long it holds and those rpm's stay up.
Old 01-09-16, 02:19 PM
Vampireak
Driver School Candidate

Hey Todd did you experience any if the similar symptoms when you first got the car?
Old 01-09-16, 02:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I am driving in the normal mode. The car only has about 500 miles on it so I don't really want to push it just yet. Giving it some time to break it in.
Turn the dial anti-clockwise to the left to get into Eco mode, and the tranny will upshift earlier, and hold onto higher gears longer rather than shift down earlier for engine braking.
Old 01-09-16, 04:25 PM
ToddsLex78
Driver School Candidate

Hey Todd did you experience any if the similar symptoms when you first got the car?
Only time I felt something, one time when it downshifted and held high rpm's, was during a hard brake followed by quick acceleration but this was in sport mode. In normal mode, it's pretty smooth. Could it be your car is still in its break in period??
Old 01-11-16, 12:25 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have noticed in my 13 that you can feel the shifts when driving moderately and when driving hard.
Old 01-11-16, 02:36 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
I have noticed in my 13 that you can feel the shifts when driving moderately and when driving hard.
We will feel it more in the '13, less gears. The rev matching is nice and should smooth out downshifts though. If he's feeling it hooking each gear he must really be hammering on it.
Old 01-12-16, 04:35 PM
Vampireak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the update, Todd. The car only has 700 miles on it. What's the break in period for it? This happens when I drive moderately. I'm still not pushing the car at all.
Old 01-13-16, 12:27 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddsLex78
The shifting in sport mode is amazing...I love how long it holds and those rpm's stay up.
My biggest dislike & the reason I rarely use Sport + mode. Just ridicules for this class of car.
Old 01-13-16, 05:50 PM
ToddsLex78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
My biggest dislike & the reason I rarely use Sport + mode. Just ridicules for this class of car.
Oh really wow. The sport mode really changes the driving experience IMO. I love it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission question