Looking for Advice on Possible 4GS Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 10:35 PM
pryde5abi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Purchased my 4GS!

Well Everyone,
I got the car I wanted - 2013 Riviera Red on Black GS350 AWD L / Certified w/ Luxury Package and Mark Levinson Audio. I did a thorough inspection of the car and it is indeed in excellent condition, near-mint in fact. Has 32k miles but drives like it is brand-new! Had to drive past Detroit to Utica, Michigan from Cleveland (Ohio), but it was well worth the trip. Absolutely love this car and thus far have no real complaints. There are some features missing (remote start, power folding mirrors, etc.) due to it being a 2013 model year 4GS, but I knew that going in and thus they weren't deal-breakers. Once again, I'd like to thank bclexus and everyone else who shared their advice and tips, it really helped me out and I certainly appreciate it. Pictures will be posted soon!

Last edited by pryde5abi; 01-04-16 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 08:02 AM
pryde5abi
Rookie

I forgot to mention Edmund's suggested trade in value of ~ $31.3k (though considering it was leased and that "auto auction" isn't mentioned in carfax leaves us unsure of what they paid for it), hence why it appears to be a great deal and why I doubt that there will be much room for negotiation, especially considering how some of you have mentioned that Lexus is moving towards no-haggle pricing for used cars. It should be noted that Edmund's true market value for both trade-in and certified used pricing is essentially the same in the Michigan location and my dealer's location.
Old 12-27-15, 09:12 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

You're the reason it took a long time to sell, it's waiting for YOU to buy it.
Old 12-27-15, 09:17 AM
pryde5abi
Rookie

Originally Posted by islandbeef
You're the reason it took a long time to sell, it's waiting for YOU to buy it.
I'd like to think so as well
Honestly though, I'm surprised it's been sitting for this long, perhaps due to the Red on Black color combination?
Old 12-27-15, 05:10 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

It's basically a "red" car and in traffic, you'll stand out like sore thumb to cops.
Old 12-27-15, 05:37 PM
pryde5abi
Rookie

Question

Indeed, that's what I was thinking of as well. What I really meant to say is that the color combination might not be favorable to your average, regular-old Lexus buyer (meaning non-enthusiast) who doesn't do much research, browse Lexus forums, etc. and simply buys whichever car is available in their favorite color (white, silver, gray, blue, etc.) at a nearby dealership. But I agree, they may have simply looked away immediately upon noting the car being red. Works for me though
Old 12-27-15, 05:49 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots of factors on the pricing, perhaps it was priced too high till recent price drop, figure your trade in the deal but I suspect there is probably not much more for wiggle room in the price. Great deal, if you like the color combo, go for it.
Old 12-27-15, 06:14 PM
pryde5abi
Rookie

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Lots of factors on the pricing, perhaps it was priced too high till recent price drop, figure your trade in the deal but I suspect there is probably not much more for wiggle room in the price. Great deal, if you like the color combo, go for it.
Yeah that's my best guess. Can't have been in an accident or had bodywork, paintwork, etc. otherwise it wouldn't have been certified (CPO), right? Looks to be near-mint condition in the pictures. If the dealer is willing to make a deal for $32k out the door I'd take it, I doubt there is much room for negotiating and honestly I'm fine with that as $32k OTD seems pretty fair to me.
Old 12-27-15, 06:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by pryde5abi
Can't have been in an accident or had bodywork, paintwork, etc. otherwise it wouldn't have been certified (CPO), right?
Not true...
Old 12-27-15, 07:05 PM
isekii
Rookie

weird seeing an AWD model in Florida.
Old 12-27-15, 08:37 PM
pryde5abi
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Not true...
I'm basing it of off my vehicle searches thus far as any car being sold by its manufacturing dealership (Lexus dealer for a Lexus, BMW dealer for a BMW, etc.) as a certified preowned car hasn't listed a single accident on the carfax for any of them - if they had any damage they are being sold as "used" only (I understand that minor dents etc and other incidents may not be reported by whoever owned/leased the cars previously and simply paid out of pocket for fixes); I always read up on others' reviews for any dealership that I plan on possibly dealing with to ensure they would not use such tactics (hiding damage if they knew about it, etc.). Also, I rather doubt that premium/luxury car dealers like Lexus and BMW would be deceptive as it would only damage their reputation, which is something they certainly wouldn't want. Covering up and attempting to hide damage is typically reserved for independent dealers and regular dealers (Chevy, Ford, Kia, etc.) that buy luxury cars at auctions in attempts to flip them for a profit. In any case, the original price of $35k (perhaps even $32k would be, depending on extent of damage) would be too high for a car that was damaged in any way no matter how small, in my opinion. If there are any really minor issues with this car that the Lexus dealer is upfront (smaller scratches etc.), I wouldn't mind them as long as they are taken care of and are considered in negotiations. I have a rather keen eye for details as does my father, so I would most likely detect any such suspicious issues.
Old 12-27-15, 08:38 PM
pryde5abi
Rookie

Originally Posted by isekii
weird seeing an AWD model in Florida.
? I am unsure of what you are seeing as the car is located at a Michigan Lexus dealership, not in Florida.
Old 12-27-15, 11:11 PM
cezar9
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello Everyone,
I'd like to get your advice and thoughts on this CPO 2013 GS350 w/ Luxury Package and Mark Levinson Audio - 32k miles, $32k asking price (originally $35k) - http://www.lexusoflakeside.com/detai.../7743795?cid=2
It seems to be a great deal in my view, considering the true market value for it (used Edmund website tool) is suggested to be $38.5k. So my questions are -
1) Is asking $31k out-the-door (initially, 32k final offer) after trade in (my car valued at ~2600 according to KBB AND Edmunds - I intend to get close to that out of it) reasonable? Do you guys think I should adjust my offer?
2) Should I wait it out? I'm not in a rush to buy as I have up to the end of summer 2016 to buy a car, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on a great deal, which this would be if that $38.5k figure is relatively accurate. Not to mention that this is the cheapest CPO (period) within 200 miles of my location (NE Ohio), with the luxury package and ML Audio (which seems to be a rare option) being icing on the cake. Many say that end-of-month and/or end-of-year are the best time to buy a car, due to sales quotas needing to be filled and less foot traffic, etc. I'm wondering if incoming 2016 GS inventory will affect this pricing at all (the only reason why I would regret not waiting - if this did happen to 2013 models), though it doesn't seem like it would drop much more at all.
3) I'm curious as to why this car took essentially an entire year to sell (lease, actually) and furthermore why its been sitting since Sept. 2015 and has yet to be sold. Perhaps the drop from 35k to 32k was recent. Any thoughts/ideas?
4) Plan on having my local Lexus dealer transport it here and sell it if a reasonable deal is made; transporting the car shouldn't cost them much, correct? I'm using Carmax delivery/transfer as a reference point - equivalent distance (~190 miles) would be below $300, if not free. I may have some leverage on my local dealership as their quality of service has been quite poor in our two visits and they haven't been living up to the Lexus motto (once in a lifetime experience, everytime) or their standards, while their sister Toyota dealer across the road has always excelled whenever we have had to go there (this is quite pathetic, in my view) - they are supposed to make every effort to earn my business, I shouldn't have to give them multiple chances to earn it. I would rather purchase from the closest location and thus go there for future purchases if I am satisfied - again, this is supposed to be their job, not mines - they should aspire to gain my business as a lifetime client and build a solid relationship.

Let me know what you all think, thanks in advance!

- Preet
If this was on the West coast it would be considered a very good deal. I think you should still test the waters with a 30K offer. The worst that could happen is they say no. Remember that they want it off their lot because in less than a week it will "age" by a year. If I was you I would even drive it myself from that dealership.
Old 12-28-15, 03:55 AM
isekii
Rookie

? I am unsure of what you are seeing as the car is located at a Michigan Lexus dealership, not in Florida.
Ah yea my bad. Don't know why I thought it was Florida. I guess my brain was also on a holiday.
Old 12-28-15, 04:58 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Rust is a serious consideration because its AWD and sitting in Michigan. I have lived in Michigan for five years and they have bad winters there and almost always throw salt into the roads which will rust the heck out of your GSs underbody.

I have owned a Brand New 2013 RX350 in the last year living in michigan and it got alot of rust down there. And thats only 1 year of driving in the snow and salt of Michigan. Imagine what that GS must look underneath. Id say if you want to buy it inpsect it yourself or have someone or pay someone to inspect it. Otherwise for that price its a great deal. Remember that when new a Loaded GS Luxury cost $61,000 or more. So your saving $30,000.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-28-15 at 05:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for Advice on Possible 4GS Purchase