GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 09:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

At least with BMW you can tell apart the cars even if they are debadged.

V8s come with dual exhausts, dual outlets on each side in a custom tip.
The inline 6s come with dual exhausts with single tip on each side.
The turbo 4s are a dual tip on one side.

Lexus should look to do something similar for next Gen GS.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-19-15 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 09:38 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Took the words right out of my mouth. If I had to get a 200t I would debadge that thing as soon as I got home from the dealership.
Why not just get the 350? If you debadge a 200T coz you don't really like it, just get the car you really want. Is it a question of not being able to afford the 350? Doesn't debadging just make you a poser? Sorry, I'm not directing this to you per se but to people in general who debadge cars.
Old 12-19-15, 10:26 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Why not just get the 350? If you debadge a 200T coz you don't really like it, just get the car you really want. Is it a question of not being able to afford the 350? Doesn't debadging just make you a poser? Sorry, I'm not directing this to you per se but to people in general who debadge cars.
People debadge so they won't look like posers. No badges keep people wondering which level of ride you have (stealth mode like Audi's until you see the small red stripe on the grille).
Old 12-19-15, 10:40 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by islandbeef
People debadge so they won't look like posers. No badges keep people wondering which level of ride you have (stealth mode like Audi's until you see the small red stripe on the grille).
Really? A debadged car just makes people think you have something to hide. Or you don't really like your car. Just get the car you really like, no need to play mind games.
Old 12-19-15, 11:25 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Oh I'm not buying a 2016 GS. Im perfectly happy with my 2013 GS with the V6 engine. I'm just saying that if I wasn't able to afford a 16 GS350 (for whatever reason) and had to get a GS200t, I would definitely debadge the car. Also I don't think when someone debadges a car they become a poser. Adding an M3 emblem on a regular 3 series for example is considered posing. By removing a badge you just keep people guessing. There is nothing poser-ish about that imo. Most ppl who aren't car enthusiast like you and I wouldn't even notice that the car was debadged.
Old 12-19-15, 12:57 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

This thread is so hot.
Old 12-19-15, 01:15 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Really? A debadged car just makes people think you have something to hide. Or you don't really like your car.
Never heard anyone say that before. More like the other way around. Adding badges, or branding something higher than what it is, makes people think you wish you bought a different car. At least to those who know.
Old 12-19-15, 01:46 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
Never heard anyone say that before. More like the other way around. Adding badges, or branding something higher than what it is, makes people think you wish you bought a different car. At least to those who know.
Adding a badge which doesn't belong to a car is posing. Removing a badge which belongs to a car is also posing. In both instances, the driver wants to pretend that the car is something which it is not. Why anyone would do that I have no idea. I suspect the driver does not like the car, wants a different car but can't afford it, so he just alters the car (by removing or adding a badge) hoping that people will be fooled by the act. In all likelihood, most people will not even notice or care. It's a mind game that the driver really just plays on himself.
Old 12-19-15, 02:09 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I don't think all people who debadge their cars are posers or even have something to hide. They don't all hate their cars either.

There are many who debade their cars because they don't want to be advertising a brand for no reason. It's basically free marketing for any car manufacturer when they slap their name on a product (similar to how Nike adds their signature swoosh sign on various products). Some people don't to be advertising a brand and want a very "clean" look.

Similarly, I personally know many people who hate when dealers put their license plate frames on their car. The first thing they do is remove the dealer's frame and buy new ones. There are others who couldn't care less and in fact HAPPY to receive a free frame from the dealership.

It's all just an individual preference and the ultimate "look" one goes for with their car.

My two cents,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 12-19-15, 03:51 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I debaged my 13 gs350 because I thought it was cool and made it easy when I washed the car. My buddy also debadged his brand new ls for the very same reasons. But I don't want to debadge my 15 fsport because that would make it a non 15 model ( )and plus I don't wash the car that often anymore
Old 12-19-15, 03:58 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I don't think all people who debadge their cars are posers or even have something to hide. They don't all hate their cars either.

There are many who debade their cars because they don't want to be advertising a brand for no reason. It's basically free marketing for any car manufacturer when they slap their name on a product (similar to how Nike adds their signature swoosh sign on various products). Some people don't to be advertising a brand and want a very "clean" look.

Similarly, I personally know many people who hate when dealers put their license plate frames on their car. The first thing they do is remove the dealer's frame and buy new ones. There are others who couldn't care less and in fact HAPPY to receive a free frame from the dealership.

It's all just an individual preference and the ultimate "look" one goes for with their car.

My two cents,

~ Im2bz2p345
People who buy cars buy a specific brand of car. That's unavoidable. There's no such thing as an unbranded generic car. I suppose you can have one of those if you have your car custom-built, preferably by yourself. Until that happens, you are stuck with buying a car manufactured and trademarked by someone else.

While people are free to remove the badge since the car is now their property, those people are in the minority. The logic behind "not giving free advertising to the brand" is also strange.

So, if I were to buy a Lexus LS but I don't want myself to be used by Lexus to advertise the brand, I will therefore remove all the badges and other marks identifying it as a Lexus LS. I will now be driving a nameless car that looks like a Lexus LS but we can't really be too sure. Some discerning individuals may still be able to identify it, though. What next?

The best way to not give free advertising to a brand is not to buy it in the first place.

Regarding license plates with dealers' names on them, that's a different story. Since the dealer merely sold the car and didn't really create it, their marks can be removed. However ,if I am satisfied with the dealership, I will have no problem keeping their name on my license plate.

Last edited by gyrase321; 12-19-15 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-19-15, 05:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I debaged my 13 gs350 because I thought it was cool and made it easy when I washed the car. My buddy also debadged his brand new ls for the very same reasons. But I don't want to debadge my 15 fsport because that would make it a non 15 model ( )and plus I don't wash the car that often anymore
Guilty here..

I bought the FSport badge for a 15 model and put it on mine.
Old 12-19-15, 07:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The thing about markets (and capitalism in general) is that we can't really assume that other market players will think the way we do. Just because I may prefer the GS350 doesn't mean another buyer may not prefer the GS200T based on his own inner logic and circumstances. As I said above, the car market isn't binary. There is not just a Corolla at one end and a RR Phantom at the other.
Well said.