GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Footwell LED type?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 07:10 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Footwell LED type?

I'm trying to add some substance to the footwell LEDs and also change the color to amber. I thought they are incandescent, but turned out to be LEDs, just white and super dim.
I removed one and sure enough I have no idea how to replace it short of cutting it off. I don't even know what's it called, so I can look for aftermarkets.
It seems like there's a way to pull out the gray part (that holds the bulb) from the black part where the wires come in, but I don't know if anything aftermarket will fit there. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Footwell LED type?-1.jpg   Footwell LED type?-2.jpg  
Old 12-09-15, 09:38 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Great question...I remember wondering the same thing when I installed the OEM illuminated door sills which actually tap the footwell lights to illuminate the "lexus" logo on the sill.

If i had to guess, I would imagine it is a #74 LED bulb but i'm not sure about how to swap that out...
Old 12-10-15, 09:27 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A little bit irritating how Lexus made it so you can't even switch out the bulbs.. I would have redone the interior LEDs a long time ago if it wasn't for that.. they're just too damn dim.
Old 12-10-15, 10:26 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

If I can't figure it out, I'll just cut off the cables and attach a brighter LED or a stripe, It's crude but it's easy, effective, and I can easily put the original LEDs back when the lease is up.

I'm used to the German cabin illumination which is great. LEDs everywhere, adjustable hue, adjustable intensity. Yeah, some ppl actually care about that
Old 12-10-15, 11:53 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Can you describe what the interior illumination options are in the German cars? I am curious. Have not driven or been in a recent German car to know.

I actually really like the ambient lighting inside the GS. The LED accents in the doors and along the mouse controller look really neat, and the footwells are nice I guess. I agree that adjustable brightness would be nice. The lights aren't quite so noticeable once you put the car in drive, but look really cool in park. I'm sure this is a safety feature to allow for more focus on the road/better night vision/less distractions/less reflections.
Old 12-10-15, 11:57 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Actually, one thing that stood out to me when I got the GS was that it didn't have an LED always-on map light above the center console. I know most newer cars have them, and my 2003 BMW had one. Not that I miss it that much, but it was still a little surprising. I guess no one uses maps these days anyway!
Old 12-10-15, 12:14 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Can you describe what the interior illumination options are in the German cars? I am curious. Have not driven or been in a recent German car to know.

I actually really like the ambient lighting inside the GS. The LED accents in the doors and along the mouse controller look really neat, and the footwells are nice I guess. I agree that adjustable brightness would be nice. The lights aren't quite so noticeable once you put the car in drive, but look really cool in park. I'm sure this is a safety feature to allow for more focus on the road/better night vision/less distractions/less reflections.
Every base 5 series has:
Two LEDs on the headliner, between the reading lights for front seats.
Two LEDs on the headliner, between the reading light for the back seat.
One circular pipe LED around the iDrive controller.
One LED in the storage under the central armrest.
One LED per footwell.
Each door has one LED pipe running the span of the door trim, one LED in the door pocket and another one behind the door opener.

Like I said, the brightness is adjustable and so is the hue. I got use to it so kind of missing it now.
Attached Thumbnails Footwell LED type?-1.jpg  
Old 12-10-15, 12:15 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Actually, one thing that stood out to me when I got the GS was that it didn't have an LED always-on map light above the center console. I know most newer cars have them, and my 2003 BMW had one. Not that I miss it that much, but it was still a little surprising. I guess no one uses maps these days anyway!
Yeah, BMW has two. Love em. Funny, the 15 RX has it, but not the GS.
Old 12-10-15, 12:23 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by metrathon
Every base 5 series has:
Two LEDs on the headliner, between the reading lights for front seats.
Two LEDs on the headliner, between the reading light for the back seat.
One circular pipe LED around the iDrive controller.
One LED in the storage under the central armrest.
One LED per footwell.
Each door has one LED pipe running the span of the door trim, one LED in the door pocket and another one behind the door opener.

Like I said, the brightness is adjustable and so is the hue. I got use to it so kind of missing it now.
Hmm, so basically the GS is missing the headliner (map?) lights for all seats, door pocket LEDs, and door handle LEDs. Not a huge deal to me, but I could see why you like having it, plus the hue/brightness adjustability. If it was an option to have that extra lighting and adjustability I'd want it. I am kind of partial to the orange hue of BMW interior lighting too, it's more pleasant than bright white.
Old 12-11-15, 11:58 AM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question. I just picked up my 2015 Atomic Silver Wine Leather GS350 F Sport and noticed I got lighted door sills. The question is that only the two front sills illuminate and the rears don't. Is that how they come?
Old 12-11-15, 12:35 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by namzug
I have a question. I just picked up my 2015 Atomic Silver Wine Leather GS350 F Sport and noticed I got lighted door sills. The question is that only the two front sills illuminate and the rears don't. Is that how they come?
Yup. Only the front sills are illuminated. Congrats on your new car!
Old 12-11-15, 12:45 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by namzug
GS door sills only lid up the front, that how Lexus cutting corner, even on 2 rear LED diodes. My 07 RX door sills lid up all 4 door.
Old 12-11-15, 01:55 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It does actually. It's just damn dim lol. Look under the rear view mirror at night and you'll see it. Took me a while to notice it.
Old 12-11-15, 02:10 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardie876
It does actually. It's just damn dim lol. Look under the rear view mirror at night and you'll see it. Took me a while to notice it.
That would be nice, I'll check it out tonight.

Why go through the trouble of installing an LED if the driver cannot see it?
Old 12-11-15, 02:12 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
That would be nice, I'll check it out tonight.

Why go through the trouble of installing an LED if the driver cannot see it?
Now that I know it's there I can appreciate it. Before I realized, I'd always look at the center console and wonder why it's looked so elegantly lit at night. Wouldn't mind some adjustability though.

Quick Reply: Footwell LED type?