GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Which is the right GS for me? Potential Lexus Customer

Old 12-09-15, 04:11 PM
ebernedo86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the right GS for me? Potential Lexus Customer

Hello All,

Within in the next 12 months, I've been thinking its time to get a newer vehicle to add on.

I currently have a 2007 Acura TL Type S (auto) which I still love and plan on keeping but I want something newer and make the TL my backup car.
Things I liked about the TL:
  • Pretty Quick (for being a FWD)
  • Great Gas Mileage on the highway (29-31)
  • The Sound system was pretty good
  • Type S package had stock navigation, brembo brakes, backup camera, sport suspension etc.
Things that could have been better:
  • I would have preferred RWD on the vehicle
  • While great at handling, it was a little too bumpy sometimes

In general, it's been a great and reliable car, but the newer Acura's look-wise don't really do it for me. I loved the 2004-2008 TL look but its time for a change.
Take into account that I live in Tucson AZ, which has pretty horrible roads and with the Type S, I definitely felt a lot of the bumps (which I would a smoother ride this time). There is no snow or crazy weather here so another thing I would prefer is RWD and I don't think AWD is all that necessary at all here.

Since the 4th gen GS came out, I've been quite interested. I plan on buying a used one (lets say 2014+, 2013 if its a great deal).

These the questions/comments I have for the forum regarding a potential GS:
  1. In general, I want something that's a little less bumpy than the Type S I own today. Does this mean that the Sport Package GS is out of the question? I've read that some people don't like to get this package because of the "smoothness" or lack thereof
  2. I want 18" rims or bigger. The Type S had 17"s and I would prefer just a tad bigger. I do like the rims off the Sport, do they sell Luxury GS's with those rims.
  3. What size are the stock rims on the luxury package?
  4. Definitely want the Mark Lev sound system. I've heard its great.
  5. In terms of Luxury/Options, I would like a backup camera, Bluetooth audio streaming and phone call (I assume all models have this as this is a newer age). A Navigation is more of a nice to have but not necessary.
  6. Hows the Gas Mileage (RWD GS) compare to a TL Type S? Based on what I've seen the EPA numbers look pretty similar. I don't want something worse than the TL. On the highway, can you guys get above the EPA highway estimate (say 29-33 MPG?)
  7. If I get a 2-3 year old model, what should I expect to pay ? Lets assume less than 35k, and preferably certified pre-owned.
Based on some of my wants and needs, which Lexus GS type would be best for me?

I would appreciate the help with this.
Thanks!
Old 12-09-15, 04:33 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

-While not as plush as the luxury models, the F-Sport ride is still very compliant.
-The mpg is meh and largely depends on your driving style. You will get high 20s in the highway though for sure.
-Navigation will be equipped every Luxury and F-Sport you'll find. 99% of GSs have nav, from what I've seen. You'll also see BSM, back-up camera, Bluetooth audio, along with a host of other features standard on these two models.
-ML audio is a must IMO. It is phenomenal, if you're a balanced audio type of guy. If you're looking for teeth rattling bass, you'll likely want an addition sub installed.

I personally prefer the looks of the F-Sport and the driving dynamics (especially with the rear steering equipped models). The Luxury package has its merits though and is very capable on the twisties too.
Old 12-09-15, 04:39 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have had my GS350 F-Sport for three and a half years. The ride is firm, but I find it very comfortable here in Tucson. I get 28-30 MPG on the interstate, 25-27 MPG in town, in Tucson. The ML audio is great. Service at the local Lexus dealer is mediocre to poor, at best, but there is a good independent Toyota-Lexus mechanic here.
Old 12-09-15, 05:03 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha! I have an 07 TL too
Been lurking the 4GS section for months...

Taking the dive come spring
Old 12-09-15, 06:44 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I love the old TL-S's as well, almost bought one. My buddy has a regular TL and 10 years old its still a nice car.
I'd say the GS is quicker (.5s in the 1/4) ride is smoother, more luxurious, etc. I've only returned 26mpg in my awd diving pure highway at 65-70. Higher speeds kill the mpg in this car. Expect 5-10% worse mpg in the GS (rwd is not as efficient as FWD).

Btw it is very fun to drive aggressively, despite its size - It handles great.

Nav, bluetooth streaming, backup camera are all standard. Ventilated seats are nice esp down in tuscon! I'm sure others will answer your lux vs fsport questions, but you would get everything you want in the premium.
Old 12-09-15, 07:33 PM
ebernedo86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ECL
I have had my GS350 F-Sport for three and a half years. The ride is firm, but I find it very comfortable here in Tucson. I get 28-30 MPG on the interstate, 25-27 MPG in town, in Tucson. The ML audio is great. Service at the local Lexus dealer is mediocre to poor, at best, but there is a good independent Toyota-Lexus mechanic here.
Glad to see to another Tucson person in here!
Thats great gas mileage in the city. I'm going to assume that yours is RWD?
Also did yours have navigation on it as well? It seems like the consensus is that all Luxury and all F Sport Models have navigation on it.
Thats good that its comfortable in Tucson. I love my TL but I wish it was THAT firm.
Old 12-09-15, 07:36 PM
ebernedo86
Driver School Candidate

Btw, thanks to all for the input. Any more is always welcome!

And i'm not going to lie, I do prefer the looks on the F Sport Model vs the Luxury model.
And I like the rims better on the Sport Model as well..
decisions decisions...

I know on the outside The F Sport model has its cosmetic difference (body kit, bumper, grill etc).
But what about the interior? I read that the Luxury is a little more plush but what are the main difference when you sit in the two?

In terms of Ride Smoothness, is the Luxury model that much smoother or just a little?
Still trying to get a feel of things and opinions from others.
Old 12-09-15, 08:39 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Acura TL Type S, you say? I think we should be best friends. Read over my post here and you may be interested in browsing that entire topic.

I may be biased here, but I would highly suggest you consider the GS450 (hybrid). That is, unless you have something against CVT transmissions. It's the "top of the line"/"cream of the crop" when it comes to the GS family.. before you go to the LS (which is larger sedan).

Do some more research on the GS450h and you'll find it meets all of your criteria & then some! You can average 29 mpg in the CITY and 32+ on the HWY for car that's with nearly two tons of luxury oozing out at you with a crazy amount of torque at your disposal. Is that good enough mpg numbers for you?

Surprisingly, you can get used hybrids from 2013-2014 for not that much more of a premium over the regular GS350. Also, you get more features (some of which aren't even an option on the GS350).

The only problem? The GS450h is a rare bird, so you'll have to hunt for a while for the "perfect" one that meets all of your needs.

You can check out my very own GS450h by clicking on the link in my signature. You can also check out this subforum that's dedicated to the 4GS hybrid: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-242/

All the best,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 12-10-15 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 11:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

My FSport in normal mode floats!! It shifts slow and smoothly too, sometimes I wonder if I'm driving an ES...

But in Sport+ it changes into a track car! It can take corners like a boss and it hauls *** when in manual mode. It goes to 100+ without me feeling it!! This thing is dangerous!!!
Old 12-09-15, 11:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by ebernedo86
...In terms of Ride Smoothness, is the Luxury model that much smoother or just a little?
Very good question.
Old 12-10-15, 12:06 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

The Luxury has the 18's while the F has the 19's, that may determine the extra smoothness.
Old 12-10-15, 05:22 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Fsport will get lower mpgs. I have a 2014 GS 350 RWD with Luxury package and I get better mpgs than most people on here. Navigation is a must otherwise you will have a 8inch where a 12inch screen supposed to be which will look ugly because the dash is molded for the 12 inch and therefore there will be HUGE bezels on both sides which i think is a deal killer. Although fsport handles better than the Luxury version....the luxury version will still out handle your TL. I can keep up with my cousins GS fsport all day at the track.

My all time high for mpg is 30mpgs. This is a picture of when I had a trip up the smoky mountains and back. 27.8mpg in that trip is amazing considering climbing that high up the mountains.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-10-15 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 04:28 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am currently driving a 2015 GS 350 Luxury. I was driving a 2008 TL w/Navi (not Type S). I gave the TL to my daughter in college.

We each have our biases at to what makes the perfect car. I have a long daily commute and wanted to soften the ride slightly, go back to RWD, and step up the creature comforts. My finalist were the Acura TLX, the Infiniti Q50, and the GS 350 when looking to upgrade from my TL.

The GS is larger than the 3rd generation TL you currently drive. I agree with ItzFilyO that you need to be in Sport+ mode to get the same handling as your current TL. You just can't toss the GS around as easily as the TL unless you’re in Sport+ mode.

I am a high mileage driver, so the TLX would have been the least expensive, practical car. The Infiniti Q50 is sporty and is light years ahead of Lexus as far as technology. It is fun to drive, but just didn’t have the classiness of the GS.

I averaged about 28 mpg on my daily commute with my TL. The GS is getting around 23 mpg. My 15 Luxury came with 19” wheels, but they don’t have the staggered size difference between the front and back like the F Sport. I love the 8 speed tranny in the GS. It is as smooth as silk!

Last edited by ITDude; 12-10-15 at 04:28 PM. Reason: corrected spacing
Old 12-10-15, 05:31 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ebernedo86
Btw, thanks to all for the input. Any more is always welcome!

And i'm not going to lie, I do prefer the looks on the F Sport Model vs the Luxury model.
And I like the rims better on the Sport Model as well..
decisions decisions...

I know on the outside The F Sport model has its cosmetic difference (body kit, bumper, grill etc).
But what about the interior? I read that the Luxury is a little more plush but what are the main difference when you sit in the two?

In terms of Ride Smoothness, is the Luxury model that much smoother or just a little?
Still trying to get a feel of things and opinions from others.
If you're getting 2-3 years old model, there is a significant difference in ride quality between luxury and f sport. I had a 13 luxury. It came with 18 on Dunlops (not the most comfortable tires). I now have a 15 f sport with michellin pss (the most comfortable tires on f sports from my experience). I can tell you the luxury felt a lot smoother. In addition the seat comes with wings on the headrest that I really loved. Passenger's seat is also same as driver's. The newer luxury comes with 19. So I don't think the ride quality is much difference. You should drive to see how they feel. Some dealers let you keep demos over night/weekends.