GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake Squeal traded for Brake Dust !

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 09:01 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Brake Squeal traded for Brake Dust !

I have a 13 gs350 rwd, brakes were stock, about 1/2 life left but had a squeal at low speeds. Took it in for the TSB, they swapped my pads with a new pad and new rotors. All a part of a TSB. Now My brake dust is crazy, I mean washed 2 days ago and today the front wheels are noticeably dusty. I maybe should have left the brakes alone....I think the squeal was the lesser evil. Anyone have a similar experience ?
Old 12-07-15, 09:04 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my brake pads with ceramics at 5k miles....couldn't be happier, zero dust, zero squeak
Old 12-08-15, 06:09 PM
9TO5NOT
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAME issue on my 13 GS AWD, only the dealer says they can't duplicate the concern
Old 12-10-15, 09:31 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had mine changed out due to the TSB too. I'll have to double check today. Been too busy lately. They didn't change out your rears did they?
Old 12-10-15, 03:53 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by Prinny
Just had mine changed out due to the TSB too. I'll have to double check today. Been too busy lately. They didn't change out your rears did they?
No the fronts only, surprised they swapped the rotors TBH, rear brakes last forever and I dont hear them squeak at all. Did they swap your rotors too ??
Old 12-10-15, 05:39 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
No the fronts only, surprised they swapped the rotors TBH, rear brakes last forever and I dont hear them squeak at all. Did they swap your rotors too ??

Maybe the brake dust is just from the initial break in process and it'll subside within a week or so?

Yeah they swapped both my pads and rotors. I heard that it's really up to the dealer if they want to swap the rotors too, but it's not really a must for the TSB.
Old 12-10-15, 06:36 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by Prinny
Maybe the brake dust is just from the initial break in process and it'll subside within a week or so?

Yeah they swapped both my pads and rotors. I heard that it's really up to the dealer if they want to swap the rotors too, but it's not really a must for the TSB.
Quite possible.....lets see how it looks in a couple of weeks....

I would have thought they would have machined (vs swap rotors). They can do either per TSB. It would seem they could get more money for the service of resurfacing versus the cost of rotors. Its all good. I prefer new rotors.
Old 12-10-15, 06:47 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Quite possible.....lets see how it looks in a couple of weeks....

I would have thought they would have machined (vs swap rotors). They can do either per TSB. It would seem they could get more money for the service of resurfacing versus the cost of rotors. Its all good. I prefer new rotors.

Hopefully it'll improve hmm.. I think they usually machine them, but if the guys at the dealership are nice then they'll just swap them. The service manager that I talked to put extra emphasis on the fact that he had them swap the rotors too. Was a bit weird, but I appreciated either way lol.
Old 12-10-15, 08:11 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

just brought some oem brake pads from myLparts and they make squeal noise when low speed braking. Is it illegal to sell TSB brake pads to costumer? cuz I was wondering if they gived me some TSB brake pads. my first set I brought is from my local dealer and it never make any squeal noise.
Old 12-10-15, 09:11 PM
EyeKutr

I am sure there are different part numbers for the pads. If you have the part # I can compare to what was installed on my car
Old 12-10-15, 09:27 PM
richard203
Racer

I am sure there are different part numbers for the pads. If you have the part # I can compare to what was installed on my car
I have to let u know tomorrow, the brake pads is at work.
Old 12-11-15, 08:00 AM
richard203
Racer

K so I got a email bak from mylparts they say they sent me the tsb pads and I asked for new pads and rotor that I order so let see. What if they not giving new pads and rotor who can I tell this to?
Old 12-12-15, 01:59 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
just brought some oem brake pads from myLparts and they make squeal noise when low speed braking. Is it illegal to sell TSB brake pads to costumer? cuz I was wondering if they gived me some TSB brake pads. my first set I brought is from my local dealer and it never make any squeal noise.
TSB is not a recall. So parts subject to a TSB are not recalled parts. It's just a technical service bulletin to advise staff on how to rectify a discovered issue.

Not all cars covered by a TSB will experience the issue. But if a customer brings a car in with a complaint that is not common, the bulletins are a good resource.
Old 12-12-15, 05:40 PM
richard203
Racer

Originally Posted by rijc99
TSB is not a recall. So parts subject to a TSB are not recalled parts. It's just a technical service bulletin to advise staff on how to rectify a discovered issue.

Not all cars covered by a TSB will experience the issue. But if a customer brings a car in with a complaint that is not common, the bulletins are a good resource.
I mean they sold me the brake pads that makes the squeal noise aren't they suppose to sell me the newer version brake pads which doesn't make any noise?
Old 12-12-15, 05:54 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
I mean they sold me the brake pads that makes the squeal noise aren't they suppose to sell me the newer version brake pads which doesn't make any noise?
Sorry, What I was stating was as a generality about TSBs.

The part number may stay the same. They may simply instruct dealers to pull certain batch/lots off the shelf and replace with newer baths. You will need to look at the manufacture date or lot number. Unless it was a revision that supersedes the older part. Then, there will be a new number. Ask if there was a revised part that supersedes the part you were given. If you call any Lexus dealer and ask for the wholesale department they should be able to give you the info.

I would just return them and ask for a later manufacture batch or revised version if there is one. Tell them the pads you were given are defective. Take them out asap so you don't wear them down more then you need to if you intend on swapping.

Last edited by rijc99; 12-12-15 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal traded for Brake Dust !