GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

nitrogen or regular air for my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 06:13 PM
yunito12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrogen or regular air for my tires?

today i went to the dealership hoping they will add nitrogen to my tires but they wanted to charge me $50 wtf? is this how its done in every lexus dealership? add air to your tires but charge $50 for nitrogen when the car came with nitrogen originally?
Old 12-05-15, 09:42 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fwiw, my tire psi fluctuates more with temperature change with regular air than when they had nitrogen in them before. I hear it's a gimmick but that's what I've witnessed. Btw, I'm on aftermarket wheels and tires now.

Last edited by obturator; 12-06-15 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-06-15, 02:09 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

IMO, nitrogen filled tires is a gimmick. Sure it will leak out slower than air, but it'll eventually leak out and need to be refilled. Not to mention, if you just need to pump up your tires a couple PSI, do you really want to go to the dealer to do it (and might incur another fee)? Sure it's nice when it's free, but I wouldn't pay to have them fill it up. Tire places everywhere will check your tire pressures and pump them up with air to the proper levels, free of charge.
Old 12-06-15, 07:10 AM
maurerc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No simple answer. See introduction and conclusions of http://www.dawsengineering.com/linke...tires-daws.pdf
Old 12-06-15, 09:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

The air you breathe is made up of roughly 78% nitrogen (N2), 21% oxygen (O2) and 1% miscellaneous gases. Unless a vacuum pump is used to first remove the oxygen, filling the tire with nitrogen will probably be no more than 93% nitrogen because regular ol' air is already 78% nitrogen. Bottom line - save your money and use regular ol' air you breathe...even if nitrogen is available to you free of charge, still use air...

If you must have (more than 78%) nitrogen in your tires I believe Costco offers free nitrogen fill for their members.
Old 12-06-15, 06:41 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The air you breathe is made up of roughly 78% nitrogen (N2), 21% oxygen (O2) and 1% miscellaneous gases. Unless a vacuum pump is used to first remove the oxygen, filling the tire with nitrogen will probably be no more than 93% nitrogen because regular ol' air is already 78% nitrogen. Bottom line - save your money and use regular ol' air you breathe...even if nitrogen is available to you free of charge, still use air...

If you must have (more than 78%) nitrogen in your tires I believe Costco offers free nitrogen fill for their members.
Costco here will adjust your tire pressure without charge and asks for no proof of membership.
Old 12-10-15, 07:56 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Just in case you want to see a test:

Old 12-10-15, 09:24 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not really too fond of fifth gears, but the video on this is decent info
Old 12-10-15, 09:27 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I've never gone the nitrogen route. Always wanted to be able to fill up in my own garage if need to be and not have to go to a dealer or some shop.
Old 12-11-15, 04:35 PM
JerrySC
Driver School Candidate

Default Nitrogen in Tires

As a retired aircraft tech, I can tell you that aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen is used for several reasons that wouldn't really have application to car tires, i.e., changes in outside pressure at altitude and temperature swings from a hot landing strip to 30 below zero at 38,000 feet.

Car dealers have searched the globe for anything to sell us at a nice profit which can quasi-reasonably be explained as beneficial. $50 for just a little nitrogen amounts to big profit and a warm fuzzy feeling to the uninformed driver. If it makes them feel better, so be it.

As for me, I added air from my garage compressor as soon as it was needed. I also swapped the green "nitrogen only" valve caps so there would be no misunderstanding that "Air" is all I want in my tires. Might it leak down a little sooner than nitrogen? Perhaps, but you should be looking at your tires regularly anyway. Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-11-15, 04:58 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Air is 74% Nitrogen.
Old 12-11-15, 05:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Air is 74% Nitrogen.
Air is 78% Nitrogen...
Old 12-11-15, 05:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JerrySC
As a retired aircraft tech, I can tell you that aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen is used for several reasons that wouldn't really have application to car tires, i.e., changes in outside pressure at altitude and temperature swings from a hot landing strip to 30 below zero at 38,000 feet.

Car dealers have searched the globe for anything to sell us at a nice profit which can quasi-reasonably be explained as beneficial. $50 for just a little nitrogen amounts to big profit and a warm fuzzy feeling to the uninformed driver. If it makes them feel better, so be it.

As for me, I added air from my garage compressor as soon as it was needed. I also swapped the green "nitrogen only" valve caps so there would be no misunderstanding that "Air" is all I want in my tires. Might it leak down a little sooner than nitrogen? Perhaps, but you should be looking at your tires regularly anyway. Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-11-15, 07:41 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Air is 78% Nitrogen...
Even better.
Old 12-11-15, 09:55 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by JerrySC

Great post JerrySC - my rationale for dealers offering it is the same as yours.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 12-12-15 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: nitrogen or regular air for my tires?