GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Adjusting wipers (NOT winter mode)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 08:33 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adjusting wipers (NOT winter mode)

hey guys. so i picked up my 4GS a few weeks ago and noticed that the wipers don't sweep all the way to the left. the top of the driver's side wiper stops about 5 inches from the edge of the windshield. lexus records say that the windshield was replaced so i'm guessing the wipers weren't bolted back into the correct place. does anyone know if it's just simply unbolting the arm and readjusting it or is it more complicated than that?
The following users liked this post:
ungern (11-29-22)
Old 12-03-15, 08:35 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Old 12-03-15, 08:46 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

itzfilyo, i appreciate the link but it's not a winter mode issue (at least i don't think it is).

unless everyone else's wiperblades stop 5" from the driver's side top edge, i think the blades were bolted back on too low after the windshield was replaced.
Old 12-03-15, 08:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

It does sound like the wiper arms were reinstalled in the wrong position. Have you tried putting the wipers in the 'Winter Position' - just to see if you can? If you cannot pull the wiper arms up into the 'Winter Position' that may indicate that the wiper arms were reinstalled for non-winter conditions in the 'Winter Position'. That said, I do not know if [after] putting the wiper arms in the 'Winter Position' if the travel distance is somehow shortened so-as not to travel too far...
Old 12-03-15, 09:06 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

thank you bclexus. i'll give that a try . still seems like i'll have to readjust the arms either way. just trying to avoid a trip to the dealer for something this trivial.
Old 12-03-15, 09:32 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Oh my bad.. I didn't read the whole thing.

Yea it most likely need to be recalibrated. Dealer time!
Old 11-29-22, 06:19 AM
ungern
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys,

I had my windshield replaced on my '03 GS , and since it's winter, mine were in winter mode. Now, the driver side doesn't wipe as far to the left as it did before in winter mode. If I push them back to summer mode, it still stops in the same place, but that's correct for summer mode.
Do I need to go back to the dealer (again)?

PS. In the lower start position in winter mode, they seem to be as they should, just a bit higher, closer to where the windshield heater blows the air, so it looks OK in start position.... Go figure.
Old 11-29-22, 07:31 AM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The windshields adjust with a simple bolt at the base of the arm (I think it's 12mm but I could be wrong). Just need to know how much you want to raise / lower the arm, maybe mark the spot with a piece of painter's tape.

Mine were hitting the seal on the driver's side on high after I had my windshield replaced.
ungern (11-29-22)
Old 11-29-22, 07:58 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 381 Likes on 218 Posts

Make sure the right size blades are installed.
The drivers side is suppose to be longer (26 inches) VS. the the passenger side (18 inches).

Old 11-29-22, 08:35 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock13
hey guys. so i picked up my 4GS a few weeks ago and noticed that the wipers don't sweep all the way to the left. the top of the driver's side wiper stops about 5 inches from the edge of the windshield. lexus records say that the windshield was replaced so i'm guessing the wipers weren't bolted back into the correct place. does anyone know if it's just simply unbolting the arm and readjusting it or is it more complicated than that?
So, I just read about this in the repair manual, because I was curious why mine stuck up so far, yet weren't in winter mode.

If the windshield is from Lexus, there are ceramic dots in the windshield where you align the blade. There should be 1 dot near the centerline that the passenger-side of the driver's blade should be aligned to. The passenger blade has 2 dots that it should be aligned between on its passenger and driver's side tips of said blade.

Check if yours when parked, in normal mode, sit near such marks.
ungern (11-29-22)
Old 11-29-22, 11:46 PM
ungern
Rookie

Originally Posted by mryeh17
The windshields adjust with a simple bolt at the base of the arm (I think it's 12mm but I could be wrong). Just need to know how much you want to raise / lower the arm, maybe mark the spot with a piece of painter's tape.

Mine were hitting the seal on the driver's side on high after I had my windshield replaced.
Mine were actually very close to the A-beam seal when from factory already. It's now that it's much further away. Maybe this actually is how it should be both winter and summer. I'll definitely have a look and compare when it's not freezing cold outside.
Old 11-29-22, 11:47 PM
ungern
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
So, I just read about this in the repair manual, because I was curious why mine stuck up so far, yet weren't in winter mode.

If the windshield is from Lexus, there are ceramic dots in the windshield where you align the blade. There should be 1 dot near the centerline that the passenger-side of the driver's blade should be aligned to. The passenger blade has 2 dots that it should be aligned between on its passenger and driver's side tips of said blade.

Check if yours when parked, in normal mode, sit near such marks.
The windshield is from Lexus (that's why I waited for 5 months to get the job done) done at Lexus shop. I'll check for the dots, I saw nothing obvious yesterday evening, maybe daylight will help.
Old 11-30-22, 06:55 AM
ungern
Rookie

No dice. Zero markings on the windshield for the 2nd gen GS. Quite sure there never was for those.
I'll probably check the alignments myself and try to correct instead of driving 40km to get such a thing done. Just silly that a Lexus dealership isn't doing a better job.
There were two other things missed from the shop, not impressed with their work.
Old 11-30-22, 09:47 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ungern
No dice. Zero markings on the windshield for the 2nd gen GS. Quite sure there never was for those.
I'll probably check the alignments myself and try to correct instead of driving 40km to get such a thing done. Just silly that a Lexus dealership isn't doing a better job.
There were two other things missed from the shop, not impressed with their work.
2nd gen? This is the 4th gen sub forum. Do you mean '16+?

Here's the dots, they're very hard to see but they're in mine. They're almost like the absence of the black coating on the windshield... kinda look like a rinestone under the glass.

If you don't have the dots, I plan to adjust mine this afternoon (as they are obviously not aligned right), I'll measure how far away from the bottom they need to be for you.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 11-30-22 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-30-22, 02:25 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

So. Proper adjustment:

The nuts are 14mm, which will bring the TIPs of the wiper blades to 35mm (driver) and 25-28mm (pass) from the rubber of the windshield at the bottom.

Below are pic of the measurements AND all THREE dots!

Quick Reply: Adjusting wipers (NOT winter mode)