GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thinking... GS to S3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 06:53 AM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking... GS to S3?

Just upgraded from a 3GS to a 4GS F-Sport. The other day I checked out my friends S3 (didn't get the chance to drive it). Any reason I shouldn't switch?!
Old 11-24-15, 07:40 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I have one reason...you'll take a small bath for switching cars so soon.
Old 11-24-15, 08:23 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

S3 is cute... for a girl
Old 11-24-15, 10:52 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Its a different category of car altogether. If you are looking for a smaller, performance oriented vehicle, moving from a fourth generation GS to an Audi S3 is fair. To me, the biggest difference is going to be in the interior and overall feel due to the size difference (the GS is 15inches longer).

Although Audi has made more reliable cars as shown by the latest Consumer Reports, i'd still be mindful that historically the brand has not been on that list consistently as a top reliability performer.
Old 11-24-15, 11:48 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Depends on what you prioritize in a car. The S3 will be nimbler, faster, and more technologically advanced. The GS is more luxurious, more reliable, and adequately powered for daily driving. What exactly did you like about your friend's S3? I was at the Audi dealer the other day (getting rid of the Audi in the garage) and was not impressed by the S3. It's way too small, proportions are a little awkward, and the interior felt cheap (lots of hard plastics and rubbery trims). I'm also not impressed by the Audi owner experience; the dealer is slow (only 2-3 service advisors), never has enough loaners, loaners are usually not Audi, and services take forever. I also noticed the dealer near my house recently renovated the service area, and instead of nice chairs to sit on while discussing your car with the service advisors, you have to stand at the counter height desk now. I have a feeling other Audi dealers are moving in this direction too.
Old 11-24-15, 03:42 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

I've driven the S3 many times, even used launch control repeatedly; it's comparable to the GS but the interior is awful in comparison to the GS. It's all plastic and is crazy small. One thing that annoyed me the most is that if you lightly touched the brake the car decided that it needed to stop and make you hit your head. I may be exaggerating a bit. However, it only has the sportiness going for it, the quad tips and loud exhaust. But when the intial hype from these passes theres really isn't anything left to keep you coming back to the car. The GS does have features that keep you coming back.

I would recommend the S4 tho it's the same price as an F Sport GS and that is a great car in my opinion, a worthy replacement.
Old 11-24-15, 03:58 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
S3 is cute... for a girl
As is the GS.
Old 11-24-15, 04:25 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDemon
I've driven the S3 many times, even used launch control repeatedly; it's comparable to the GS but the interior is awful in comparison to the GS. It's all plastic and is crazy small. One thing that annoyed me the most is that if you lightly touched the brake the car decided that it needed to stop and make you hit your head. I may be exaggerating a bit. However, it only has the sportiness going for it, the quad tips and loud exhaust. But when the intial hype from these passes theres really isn't anything left to keep you coming back to the car. The GS does have features that keep you coming back.

I would recommend the S4 tho it's the same price as an F Sport GS and that is a great car in my opinion, a worthy replacement.
I think the S4 has a crappy interior too. It has a tiny screen, lots of plastic, less tech, old MMI interface, and similar size to the S3 (rear legroom). Way overdue for an update. Hopefully the 2016 model refresh is better.
Old 11-24-15, 05:06 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Dchar you are absolutely 100% right about the interior, and it is getting a refresh actually the refresh might be out already, but the S4 is very visceral to drive. Plus it's supercharged, the new one ain't it's twin turbo and no more dual clutch.
Old 11-24-15, 07:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I think the S4 has a crappy interior too. It has a tiny screen, lots of plastic, less tech, old MMI interface, and similar size to the S3 (rear legroom). Way overdue for an update. Hopefully the 2016 model refresh is better.
I'll have to take exception to your statement because I moved from a GS to an S5, which has pretty much the same interior as the S4. Although I'll admit the interior is dated, there is nothing about it that could be considered "crappy". It doesn't have some of the padding my GS had, but it is so nicely put together that it also doesn't have the rattles my GS had. The trim is real aluminum, the leather is phenomenal and the layout is very driver centric. It (and the S4) also have rear seats that fold for more usable space. Yes, the screen is tiny, but I find the MMI interface easier to use than the mouse in the GS. It is all a trade off. Suffice to say, I wouldn't have moved from a GS to an S5 if it was that much of a step down.

Where there is no comparison is the way the S5 drives and how much torque it has at any given time, and when I'm driving hard all I see are the guages (which are still beautiful). The S4 is just as great a drive.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-24-15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 07:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Why don't you get a Beetle instead? Or a Fiat 500 perhaps?

What kind of responses are you looking for on a Lexus forum asking why you should not switch from a large sedan to a economy car?
Old 11-24-15, 07:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Has anyone noticed the OP is nowhere to be found after asking his rather obtuse question?
Old 11-24-15, 11:01 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
As is the GS.

Not really.... the GS feels more like a family car honestly..
Old 11-25-15, 08:47 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Has anyone noticed the OP is nowhere to be found after asking his rather obtuse question?
I also find it funny that the OP was interested in purchasing a used IS-F within 20 minutes of posting this topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post9264430

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 11-25-15, 09:15 AM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I also find it funny that the OP was interested in purchasing a used IS-F within 20 minutes of posting this topic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post9264430

~ Im2bz2p345
Funny how you assume. I am looking for someone.

Originally Posted by bclexus
It was just something I wanted to get some opinions from fellow CL members, as I haven't been around Audi's. Apparently you were interested enough to read through the thread lol. I don't see how the question is obtuse?

Quick Reply: Thinking... GS to S3?