GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 night vision review.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 06:48 AM
mattds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 night vision review.

I've never actually posted a review - but i figure someone like me might one day be interested.

I have a 2013 gs 350 awd luxury and it has night vision. (button to the right of the steering wheel,almost behind it).

what our cars have basically amplify whatever light is there. Initially i had tried it out in an unlit industrial area and it seems somewhat useful - thought admittedly the high beams did a better job. I idid notice that it does produce a fairly high definition zoomed in pic of what is in front of you.

However over the weekend i was about an hour away for the city and remembered i had it - and WOW!

small details like the yellow lane markings on the car of me about 200' ahead were easily visible on the display. it also amplifies the light to the extent that the tail lights look like headlights. and animal eyes that reflect light also appear. The zoom affect which i thought useless also seems more useful here as it brings detail to objects too car away to see easily.

so overall i am quite impressed. the display gones on the mail screen and it allows you to put to nav on the right side if you so choose, or keep whatever other screen you might have up there.
Old 11-23-15, 10:25 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would they take out such a cool feature
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (10-12-23)
Old 11-23-15, 03:39 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

It's cool feature but useless, because you have to stare at the screen and not at the road. Not very safe if you ask me, especially when you are driving at night. Also, the picture quality is really bad, very grainy.

Would be nice if someday they could combine nightview with heads up display. That would be a really nice feature to have.
Old 11-23-15, 05:24 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Coming from a GS3 (06 gs300) I am amazed how much better the lighting on this car is, I can see everything, like daylight. I did have to adjust the lights up a tad. Not sure if anything else is necessary.
Old 11-23-15, 05:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Coming from a GS3 (06 gs300) I am amazed how much better the lighting on this car is, I can see everything, like daylight. I did have to adjust the lights up a tad. Not sure if anything else is necessary.
Many 4GS owners have complained about the low beam headlights not being bright enough, and also that they are factory aimed too low.
Old 11-23-15, 06:02 PM
EyeKutr

The low beams are amazing TBH, just too low from factory
Old 11-23-15, 06:23 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The 4GS low beams are amazing but my 4GS also has LED fog lights which makes it even better! Its bright but without blinding other drivers if adjusted right.
Old 11-23-15, 07:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
The 4GS low beams are amazing but my 4GS also has LED fog lights which makes it even better! Its bright but without blinding other drivers if adjusted right.
I wish the OE projector lenses were clear instead of being murky/hazy/frosted.

Old 11-23-15, 07:08 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Do the fog lights have an adjustment ?? thought they were fixed and do you mind sharing what LEDs you used ?
Old 11-24-15, 05:10 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still get the occasional other driver flashing his hi-beams at me because he thinks I have hi-beams on when I don't--just the normal Xenons on low.
Old 11-25-15, 12:52 PM
nadeemp8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy the lighting, wish I had some fog lights on the f-sport. Otherwise never saw the night vision as an option, soounds cool!
Old 01-31-16, 05:15 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lot of good points, guys. I did a factory order, so I was able to get anything I wanted, and I thought hard about the night vision, ultimately deciding against it.

The first problem is that you were able to get this -or- the LKA, but not both - there's only provision for one camera near the mirror. For me the choice was easy, and it's one I don't regret.

Another problem with it, that has already been mentioned, is that all you have is a view looking ahead, with no analysis of the image, and no warnings of possible danger like pedestrians or animals (e.g. deer), as some other systems do. If there was an integration of the image and warning cues into the HUD, then it would be an extremely desirable option.

Another consideration is that this system requires IR illuminator (active, as does the MB system). Apparently, this makes for a lower cost system, but does not let you see heat signatures like the passive IR systems that BMW uses. Also, the two systems have sensors that focus on different parts of the IR spectrum. Neither system is an image intensifier, which just amplifies existing light.

As far as the headlights, they are plenty bright - the high beam turns what's ahead virtually into daylight, when you can use it. The low beams are good too, I agree that they are aimed just a bit too low. The dealer says they're OK and he can't set them to anything out of spec. I've seen descriptions of the adjusting process, but don't want to mess anything up...would be nice if there was a YouTube video showing exactly where the screw heads are, but I haven't found it..