GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Flushing the air con system

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 04:24 AM
GS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing the air con system

Hi all, I tried searching but seems like it was not discussed before. My GS is 3.5 years old, in Singapore, a hot and humid climate all year long with 2-3 months of hazy(somethime PSI can reach a level of 200+)period due to agriculture, land clearing fires in neighbouring Indonesia. Although the air con is working fine, I have been contemplating on doing some maintenance as I intend to keep the GS for a long while. However checking the Lexus manual, there isn't any recommendation of flushing the system. Google'd and saw an (old) article from aa which mentioned that "Chrysler and Toyota do not recommend flushing. If an A/C system is contaminated and contains debris, Chrysler says replace the condenser and hoses."

Is this necessary and has anyone did before could share their experience and if it was effective or this fit into the "isn't broken don't fix it" category? thanks!

PS: The only thing I DIY is replacing the filter very 10,000KM
Old 11-18-15, 07:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

The A/C is a closed system. The refrigerant cannot escape (except in the case of a leak) and contaminants cannot enter the system. Your A/C should never (ever) need refrigerant to be added (because it is a closed system), thus there is no need for it to ever be flushed because the refrigerant does not wear out. Just replace the cabin air filter as often as you feel is necessary and make sure the condensation line remains open so it can drain.
Old 11-18-15, 08:24 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes, don't mess with it if it's not broken. The filter is the only thing u need to change.
Old 11-18-15, 02:38 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

My AC smells like mold for the first 30 seconds when turning it on ever since I picked up my GS. I know your suppose to move it out of recirculate mode and to fresh air before turning the unit off, but it doesnt help. What do yall recommend I do for that?
Old 11-18-15, 02:44 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You could also try changing your cabin filter, and may spray some Lysol inside there.
Old 11-18-15, 02:44 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sevn86
My AC smells like mold for the first 30 seconds when turning it on ever since I picked up my GS. I know your suppose to move it out of recirculate mode and to fresh air before turning the unit off, but it doesnt help. What do yall recommend I do for that?
Mine is like that too and I already blasted the heat on max for like half an hour and the next day it's back like that again. Maybe I have to blast the heat some more.
Old 11-18-15, 03:27 PM
GS250
Driver

Guys, thanks for the advise. I shall leave it and spent my $ else where
Old 11-18-15, 03:31 PM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Mine is like that too and I already blasted the heat on max for like half an hour and the next day it's back like that again. Maybe I have to blast the heat some more.

try this. i did it like once a year and have no problem since.
Old 11-18-15, 03:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS250
try this. i did it like once a year and have no problem since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&...&v=VrVc_FXrbHY
I love that dood.

Do u get any nasty residue on the grille where u spray it?
Old 11-18-15, 09:11 PM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I love that dood.

Do u get any nasty residue on the grille where u spray it?
not that i have observed.

he is very animated.
Old 11-18-15, 11:01 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't mess up the engine in anyway?
Old 11-19-15, 01:11 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by MrDemon
It doesn't mess up the engine in anyway?
that vent is for air circulation when you you select recirculate function. it should be separated from the engine.
Old 11-19-15, 09:03 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's actually a TSB on this, but like the guy mentioned in the video.. it'll keep coming back regardless especially if you live in hot humid areas. If you go to a nice dealership then they may clean out the system for you. Not flush the ac system, but clean out the area where the air gets sucked in and pushed out into the cabin.
Old 11-19-15, 06:12 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This guy is halfway right. Most evaporators these days are buried in the dash, sometimes at an angle that retains moisture, so stuff does grow on it. However, hosing down the intake at the windshield isn't the best way to kill the odor. There's a re-circulation intake near the floor (and physically close to the evaporator) where the spray should be used. Furthermore, hosing down the outside intake will probably just soak your interior air filter, (which is paper), possibly damaging it and causing you to replace it sooner than usual.

Also, keep tree limbs, leaves, and other moldy junk away from the intake near the windshield. If it sits there for any amount of time, those spores get sucked into the dash and sit on the evaporator and in the duct work, where they spawn plenty of funk.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with this website or product, but their instruction picture gets it right. http://www.autogeek.net/cleanair.html
Old 11-21-15, 09:07 AM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, good point, the Lysol is going to get trapped or hung up in the cabin air filter. So you would need to take that out before you start the process.

Quick Reply: Flushing the air con system