GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Before I go to Lexus and they tell me that this is normal......

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 06:34 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Before I go to Lexus and they tell me that this is normal......

I need your help guys. I'm tired of driving with my moonroof tilted / opened all the time.

If you have 13' GS, can you check your moonroofs and tell me if yours rattles like mine does?

Here is the video of mine fully closed,

The only solution for me is to open it I'm afraid that Lexus will say that this is normal and they cannot do anything....

Thanks in adavance
Old 11-14-15, 06:36 AM
mattds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 13' def doesnt do that...
Old 11-14-15, 07:45 AM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not normal, mine definitely does not do that either. Take to dealer and tell them get this fixed pronto.
Old 11-14-15, 07:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I just checked my 2013 (Build Date 10/2012) for you. The driver side rear is extremely snug and I cannot move it at all. The passenger side rear is also very snug, but I can manage to barely move it using significant force...however I cannot move it enough to make any noise. And, I most definitely do not have any noise from the sunroof or anywhere else. The entire car is very tight...

It sounds like your sunroof may have a piece of sealing trim ajar or missing instead of being held in-place snugly, which gives the rear part of your sunroof room to move and to make noise as it hits against some part of the sunroof housing when it is closed.

There is a TSB for 'Roof Panel Pop Noise' TSB L-SB-0060-12, however I believe this TSB addresses a sunroof pop or snap noise when the car's body flexes like when entering/exiting driveways. Regardless, the TSB repair process to correct this is very invasive and (in my opinion) has a lot of opportunity for damage elsewhere to occur while fixing the noise. That said, you might gain some knowledge about your sunroof (and a magnitude of trim removal instruction) by looking at this TSB repair process.

It should be noted that the TSB I referred to above was issued on July 11, 2012 and addresses a problem that is for some of the very first 2013 GS 350s made with VIN numbers before VIN# JTHBE1BL#D5004479. These cars were likely made in the winter or spring of 2012. Also, this same TSB is for AWD model GS 350s with VIN numbers before JTHCE1BL#D5003486.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-14-15 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 08:07 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Thanks bclexus!

Sadly my car does not fall under that TSB, and honestly after looking at the instructions, I'm not even sure I'd want them take half of my roof apart. Then again, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to tolerate that rattle.

I'm hoping that they could somehow get this fixed under warranty....
Old 11-14-15, 08:18 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's no good at all
Old 11-14-15, 08:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Thanks bclexus!

Sadly my car does not fall under that TSB, and honestly after looking at the instructions, I'm not even sure I'd want them take half of my roof apart. Then again, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to tolerate that rattle.

I'm hoping that they could somehow get this fixed under warranty....
I can't blame you. When I first saw what was needed I thought the same as you. Chances are good you'd have rattles from broken trim clips, etc, not to mention scraps, nicks, scrub marks and smudges from people crawling all around the inside and outside your car as they followed the repair process. I doubt seriously any Lexus dealership would really want to do this, and would likely try to talk you out of having it fixed.

Personally, if the car was mine I would wedge a piece of soft plastic in the middle of the rear sunroof, or one of either side of the rear, to stop the movement. The plastic could be removed whenever you wanted to open the sunroof. And just live with it...
Old 11-14-15, 09:27 AM
brianhud
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not normal

I had the exact same problem, including leaking at the car wash. Take it and tell them to fix it. I got my 2013 GS back last Wednesday, and the problem seems to be gone. They honored it under warranty. If you're in Houston, take it to Westside Lexus. They didn't put up a single argument. They were understanding and took care if the issue right away.
Old 11-14-15, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Mine never did that.
Old 11-14-15, 11:10 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I hear rattle noise when my shade is opened but the glass is closed like that but I never pushed it by hand like that and no leaking problem though. And I don't remember hearing a rattle when it's tilted open.

The problem with sunroof fixes is ur headliner will most likely be destroyed.
Old 11-14-15, 11:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brianhud
I had the exact same problem, including leaking at the car wash. Take it and tell them to fix it. I got my 2013 GS back last Wednesday, and the problem seems to be gone. They honored it under warranty. If you're in Houston, take it to Westside Lexus. They didn't put up a single argument. They were understanding and took care if the issue right away.
I would think that if SNiiP3R could push the rear part of his sunroof upward that much distance before it contacted something (housing sliding mechanism or seal) to make that rattle/clicking noise, that his sunroof would easily leak. However, SNiiP3R did not mention anything about his sunroof leaking during a rain or car wash.
Old 11-14-15, 02:12 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Correct, there are no leaks in my case, just the rattle.
Old 11-14-15, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The headliner isn't going to be destroyed. If it is, the dealer owes you a new headliner.
Old 11-15-15, 06:54 AM
ironcondor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - I checked mine, and it doesn't budge. Definitely not normal.
Old 11-15-15, 07:26 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it in....you can drive one of their cars for a week

Quick Reply: Before I go to Lexus and they tell me that this is normal......