GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Before I go to Lexus and they tell me that this is normal......

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 07:48 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I read this a couple of times, and am still confused - does this noise happen only when you push against the frame/glass? Or does it happen when driving (without you touching the frame/glass)?
At the beginning of the video, I can hear the sound, but can't see the hand pushing against it - but towards the end of the video, I can see the hand pushing (and the noise at the same time).

In my 13 GS, I can push against the frame (when glass is closed), and there is movement, and some noise (a little duller, but only when I drive over a bumpy road). But if I don't push against it, I can't hear the noise anywhere as much as you can.

I did point this out to the dealership, and they said "couldn't reproduce the problem" - I didn't have the time to go for a test drive, and find a bumpy road and hope to hear that sound (with my luck, the noise will not occur when their tech is in the car).

If the noise in the video occurs without you doing anything (besides driving), that's gotta be incredibly annoying - I'd be at the dealership in a heartbeat!
Old 11-15-15, 10:54 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 15 GS is really quiet. I can also confirm that noise is not normal take it in.
Although, the 10 GS has a few small creaks here and there coming from the center console area.
Old 11-15-15, 11:42 AM
iownags
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '13 GS F Sport rattle problems. I had it fixed by the dealer about 6 months ago. The rattle came back about a month ago. It is so loud that sounds like the car is about to fall apart. Waiting for my next service so I can get it corrected. The first time, they replaced parts of the sunroof track, but it seems things came apart again. They also kept my car for almost two weeks "waiting for parts". Very annoying. I also had them fix a rattle in the driver's door. They replaced something inside the door, but now when I turn the sound up, the window buttons start rattling. It's getting to the point that I don't enjoy driving my car anymore. Seems in my case, the "Pursuit of Perfection" has failed. Can't wait for the '16 to come out so I can get rid of this one!
Old 11-15-15, 01:04 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Good thing I'm not the only one here. And I'm glad that Lexus is fixing this problem under warranty.

I did not have this problem for the first 2 years, it just started recently.

Here is the video of when the car is in motion.

Old 11-15-15, 01:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Damn!

That's more than a rattle. That sounds like the glass is just loosely laying in a track and is ready to come out. I don't blame you for complaining. Lexus must do something about that...
Old 11-15-15, 01:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
Damn!

That's more than a rattle. That sounds like the glass is just loosely laying in a track and is ready to come out. I don't blame you for complaining. Lexus must do something about that...

Not sure why, but it sounds worse in the video than in real life Perhaps the phone was too close to the where the noise was coming from.....
Old 11-15-15, 02:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Damn!

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Not sure why, but it sounds worse in the video than in real life Perhaps the phone was too close to the where the noise was coming from.....
Oh, well in that case just turn up the audio volume!
Old 11-16-15, 07:55 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

It sounds like the glass is not connected to the track. It may be loose.
Old 11-16-15, 08:22 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14

In my 13 GS, I can push against the frame (when glass is closed), and there is movement, and some noise (a little duller, but only when I drive over a bumpy road). But if I don't push against it, I can't hear the noise anywhere as much as you can.

...!
In my '14 GS Iif I push against the back frame, I do have some movement, maybe an 1/8 of an inch and can get to make a dull thumping, but have not noticed any noise when driving.
Old 11-16-15, 08:35 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow, sounds bad. Use that warranty and git 'er fixed.
Old 11-17-15, 06:50 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Well Snipe, I checked mine today and it's doing the exact same thing. I can rattle it by hand when it's closed like that too and when going over rough road it feels like my roof is about to fall off on me! But it's quiet when the shade is closed and no leaks.

Now, will ItzFilyO takes his car to the dealer to fix and risk my headliner getting destroyed? HELL NO!! I've lived with it for a year and I can do it again.
Old 11-17-15, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Thats horrible! Gotta get that fixed...
Old 11-18-15, 04:59 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'll have to stop by and see what they say.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-19-15, 04:48 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah thats not normal, make sure you show the video as proof so they can make sure they fix it.
Old 11-19-15, 07:30 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is tight...I would take it in and take the loaner for a week...if they mess anything up they will fix it...

Quick Reply: Before I go to Lexus and they tell me that this is normal......