GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Larger diameter tires "work" on 19" F Sport Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 05:57 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Larger diameter tires "work" on 19" F Sport Wheels?

Curious if anyone has put larger diameter tires on the 19" F Sport wheels?

I know that is counter to the effect sought by the low profile tires on the 19" rims but was curious if anyone decided they were a bit too "rough" in daily driving and wanted a bit more "tire" diameter between the wheel and the pavement?

I did this on my 2004*Toyota Land Cruiser...but primarily to "fill up" the wheel well a bit from a visual perspective. I worked very well and looks great.

With a GS I am just wondering if you could soften the low profile 19" tire jolt just a bit...IF I felt necessary if I got an F Sport.

Part of me is leaning away from the F Sport to get the 18" standard wheels...even though I DO like the F Sport AND the looks of the F Sport wheels...but am a little concerned about ride comfort AND wheel/tire damage from bad roads.

Thanks...TomMartin
Old 11-06-15, 05:52 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

No input?

I believe some F Sport owners have complained about the ride of the 19" wheels and tires???

If that is a potential "issue" I was just wondering if anyone has "upsized" the 19" tire profile/diameter just a small amount...say 1"??

Would it work within the wheel well and with the steering at full turn? I do know that the speedometer would be inaccurate by a small about. On my Land Cruiser the speedo error was between 2-3% if I remember correctly.

Also, I am assuming there are multiple tire sizes in 19" that would enable such a choice?

Thanks...TomMArtin
Old 11-06-15, 06:01 AM
mattds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the same...it can slow down your acceleration and lower fuel economy if you do lots of city driving...but can help with highway fuel economy and cushion the ride a little bit.

curious to know what others have done.
Old 11-06-15, 06:05 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't have an F sport GS350 but I recently put on 20" Vossens and the ride has changed compared to when I was driving on my stock 18's. My tires are 245/35/20 and the ride is a little rough on crappy roads. I'm sure having a bigger tire on any wheel would help soften the ride. Hopefully someone with an F sport who has bigger then recommend tires, will chime in.
Old 11-07-15, 06:47 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I don't have an F sport GS350 but I recently put on 20" Vossens and the ride has changed compared to when I was driving on my stock 18's. My tires are 245/35/20 and the ride is a little rough on crappy roads. I'm sure having a bigger tire on any wheel would help soften the ride. Hopefully someone with an F sport who has bigger then recommend tires, will chime in.
Thanks Sevn...I am a bit surprised that no one has responded as actually having changed to larger than OEM tires size on stock 19" F Sport wheels??

I sure seem to read comments/complaints about ride difference between 18" and 19"...I would guess just a bit extra diameter would make a difference.

Thanks...TomMartin
Old 11-07-15, 07:20 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe no one is responding cause its obvious that bigger tires would soften the ride. Since everyone knows that they probably don't want to waste time writing it.

However, here's an option. Instead of getting bigger tires, use the same size or similar size but change the type of the tire. Buy a performance tire instead of an ultra performance or high performance. I put the Continental DWS on my car because I wanted a smoother ride. I sacrifice a little bit of performance but with 38 lbs of air and sport plus settings, I still get the performance I seek. Since my car is a daily and will NEVER see a track, comfort is more important.
Old 11-07-15, 08:04 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ice350
Maybe no one is responding cause its obvious that bigger tires would soften the ride. Since everyone knows that they probably don't want to waste time writing it.

However, here's an option. Instead of getting bigger tires, use the same size or similar size but change the type of the tire. Buy a performance tire instead of an ultra performance or high performance. I put the Continental DWS on my car because I wanted a smoother ride. I sacrifice a little bit of performance but with 38 lbs of air and sport plus settings, I still get the performance I seek. Since my car is a daily and will NEVER see a track, comfort is more important.
Thanks Ice...the reason I want actual experience is to determine IF it will work well to "up" the size a bit. By work well I mean how it fits in the wheel well, does it turn stop to stop w/o contacting any portion of the car, how does it look (proportionately) when on the car...maybe a picture or two.

Also, I would like actual input as to exactly what size tire have others used?...and what their experience has been?

With the number of owners changing their rims and otherwise "moding" their GSs I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that some have increased the tire size used on the 19" rims...perhaps I am wrong Just looking for some actual experience. TomMartin
Old 11-08-15, 08:12 PM
shiveng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search around the forums on tires and you'll find your answer. This link will give you some insight: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-present/802458-new-tires-on-gs-350-f-sport-rwd.html

I went with 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 bc there's many more tire options in this size as opposed to the stock tire sizes. Ride comfort has increased largely impart due to the type of tire I have now, Michelin pilot sport as3's and more planted score feeling on the road. Softer and smoother too all compared to stock Bridgestones. Mileage is the same haven't seen a difference.
Old 11-09-15, 09:57 AM
akuma88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently changed all my tires.
Front - 245-35-19 Michelin Super Sports
Rears - 275-35-19 Micheling Sport AS-3

I feel better handling when I make hard turns, traction light doesnt come out often. Feels the same other than that smooth ride.
Old 11-09-15, 03:20 PM
htowns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had any issues on mine 245/40-19 and 275/35-19. Way more quiet ride.
Old 11-09-15, 03:34 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by htowns
I haven't had any issues on mine 245/40-19 and 275/35-19. Way more quiet ride.
I think AWD F Sport has same wheels and tires front and rear?

Should not matter much as key question is wether there is any interference and if slightly larger tire helps with ride comfort...which IS logical. Sounds like good to go?Thanks...TomMartin