GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Q for those of you with kiddos/strollers etc...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 12:15 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Q for those of you with kiddos/strollers etc...

Im coming from a TL, and was strongly considering a GS AWD as my next vehicle.
I have a 2 year old at the moment, and we just found out we are expecting our second!

-So, my question is... is this vehicle going to be "roomy" enough?
-Will i be able to make it easily work with 2 car seats/stroller etc.?
-How's the trunk?

Right now, I have my 2 year old in the middle of my TL, and it's a little tight. The back of my seat rubs against her child seat. I can't even imagine 2 seats back there...
I hate the thought of getting an SUV(i'm a car guy), but sometimes i consider getting one for the extra room and the convenience. My wife has an SUV and it's definitely "convenient", but such a bore to drive.

Any of you with kids...please chime in. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-15, 12:22 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the 2016 Rx F sport. Nice looking SUV. IMO I think the back seats not that roomy for car seats.
Old 10-31-15, 12:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I personally would not recommend the GS to you. The GS 350 is a personalized sporty mid-size car made primarily for one or two people...with cramped quarters in the back seat for those rare times when you have rear seat passengers.

The back seat of the GS does not have much leg room. Many compact cars (i.e. Toyota Corolla) have much greater rear seat room compared to the mid-size GS. Larger rear-facing car seats for toddlers will require that the front seat occupants (including the driver) to move their seats forward much more than they would prefer, making things uncomfortable at best.

The GS, while considered a 5-seater, is really not built for five occupants because the center is built-up pretty high, which give the other two seats a side bolster. There is no car seat Latch anchor system for the so-called center seat position. But, one can modify the center position to accept a car seat.

The trunk is not very large compared to many mid-size cars. Having two of everything (and then some) for small children with a rather small trunk would probably become a problem in all likelihood.
Old 10-31-15, 12:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Double strollers are also freakin huge and bulky. I recommend getting that first if that's even a priority and then trying to determine what trunk it will fit. Congrats on your second!
Old 10-31-15, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts
Default Q for those of you with kiddos/strollers etc...

We have 8.5 month old twins, and I had the GS when we had them. I wouldn't recommend it to you as a family car. My car isn't the family car but one of the reasons why I upgraded to the LS is so that we could take them places in my car if we had to.
Old 10-31-15, 02:47 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The GS is one of the best cars you can buy but unfortunatly it is not kid friendly. I also have two kids, a 3 year old and a 1 year old. One in full size safety seat and the other in a booster seat and its cramped in there. With both child seats installed you cannot sit with them back there. My wife is tiny and only weights 115 lbs and its still a tight squeeze back there with both kids. One stroller barley fit in my trunk but it will take up 75% of the trunk space making carrying other things impossible.

Plus when i do have both kids and wife in the back i have to move my driving seat almost all the way forward to make room in the back, so much that it feels like i am hugging my steering wheel. I am going to buy a 2016 RX 350 Fsport as soon as it comes out to remedy my problems with the GS. But unlike you I will keep my GS because it is such a great drivers car.

I highly recromend a mid size crossover like a RX350 or a BMW X5 of you want more room. If your pocket allows it, a nice Porsche Macan or Cayenne would be both sporty and utilitarian.
Old 10-31-15, 07:38 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

I was afraid of the responses you all gave... All great info btw.
I figured it would not be the best suitable car... i was just hoping some of you would tell me to do it anyway.

I guess i'll be visiting the RX section again(relunctantly). I knew it was the more practical route... Was just hoping i could make the GS work. It's better to do the practical thing for the car seat years, and then get back into a sedan, i guess.

Thanks for all the wisdom, and well wishes
Old 10-31-15, 08:23 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default disagree

I have to disagree with everyone, I have a 4yrd old and 2yr old, and have plenty of room. With car seats in full time. Additionally the trunk is spacious and has plenty of room. My son just had a soccer game and my wife's pilot was in the shop, I put the wagon stroller and among other things in the trunk with no problem. I'll text some pics of car seats if you want them.

Now is the car the biggest? No. But does it have more then enough room, I'd say so, of course a suv will always have more room... that's an obvious fact.
Old 10-31-15, 08:44 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

^^^flicker of hope. haha. thanks fluxx

i guess, the only thing i really have to do is take it for a test drive, and throw some strollers and car seats in it.
Old 10-31-15, 08:53 PM
LI Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off Congrats on number 2

I have a 5 year old in a High back booster behind the driver seat and a 13 month old in a bucket( soon to switch out to a rear facing convertible seat, there is PLENTY of room for both seats. The trunk easily accomidates our single city mini stroller and the bucket snap in stroller.

My only gripe is the female buckle is buried so deep in the cushioning that my 5 year old has a hard time buckling herself in. Most of the time I have to lean over her and dig for the belt to click it in.

I see your in NY not sure where, but if your on Long Island or close your more than welcome to come have a look.

let me know if I can be on any more help

Last edited by LI Lexus; 10-31-15 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-31-15, 09:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Theres plenty of room for forward facing seats, not for rear facing seats. No joke, with our rear facing infant seats installed my wife and I physically could not sit in the front seats of the GS. And the infant seats are smaller than convertible rear facing seats.

If your kids are 2 and 4, sure there will be room, but if one of them is 0...not so much. When you only have one you can put them in the center which buys you some space, but with two they have to go behind the seats.

If you really want a sedan, there are other options. For instance Infiniti makes a Q70L which is a GS size car with a LWB version. Seats would fit well in that.
Old 10-31-15, 09:27 PM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a five year old and a 5 month old and my wife can still still fit comfortably in the back with both car seats installed. I'm currently using a Recaro Performance Sport (forward facing) and a Graco Snug ride 35 (rear facing). The Recaro sits directly behind the passenger front seat using the Latch system while the Graco base is secured using the seat belt in the center. My seating position is a little more than 3/4 of the way back. The rear space does get tight when you have both seats mounted to the side. I would not recommend it for long trips with this configuration.

The trunk is plenty spacious and I have no problems getting my tandem double stroller and a weeks worth of food shopping to fit. I'm currently using the Joovy Caboose Ultralight Too for your reference.
Old 10-31-15, 10:36 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I personally would not recommend the GS to you. The GS 350 is a personalized sporty mid-size car made primarily for one or two people...with cramped quarters in the back seat for those rare times when you have rear seat passengers.

The back seat of the GS does not have much leg room. Many compact cars (i.e. Toyota Corolla) have much greater rear seat room compared to the mid-size GS. Larger rear-facing car seats for toddlers will require that the front seat occupants (including the driver) to move their seats forward much more than they would prefer, making things uncomfortable at best.

The GS, while considered a 5-seater, is really not built for five occupants because the center is built-up pretty high, which give the other two seats a side bolster. There is no car seat Latch anchor system for the so-called center seat position. But, one can modify the center position to accept a car seat.

The trunk is not very large compared to many mid-size cars. Having two of everything (and then some) for small children with a rather small trunk would probably become a problem in all likelihood.
Bam! Home run. You hit it perfectly. Went looking today and the GS is definitely not a family/kid car. Room in the back seat is snug while not being tight. I'm 5'10" and adjusted the front driver seat accordingly then went and sat behind it in the back seat. Barely enough room. Forget about centering your legs or crossing them. Also if the driver happens to be over 6' in the drivers seat an average adult can sit behind him it's going to be tight & vice versa.

I'd recommend the LS460 F sport or LS460 L. As we have our grandson (1 yr old) all the time for the most part and seven year old daughter (fits fine back there) so like you room has become a major consideration. GS is off the list. Pic of me in the back seat.
Attached Thumbnails Q for those of you with kiddos/strollers etc...-img_20151031_114535_503.jpg  

Last edited by rxonmymind; 10-31-15 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-01-15, 07:12 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Bam! Home run. You hit it perfectly. Went looking today and the GS is definitely not a family/kid car. Room in the back seat is snug while not being tight. I'm 5'10" and adjusted the front driver seat accordingly then went and sat behind it in the back seat. Barely enough room. Forget about centering your legs or crossing them. Also if the driver happens to be over 6' in the drivers seat an average adult can sit behind him it's going to be tight & vice versa.

I'd recommend the LS460 F sport or LS460 L. As we have our grandson (1 yr old) all the time for the most part and seven year old daughter (fits fine back there) so like you room has become a major consideration. GS is off the list. Pic of me in the back seat.
Nice legs! Lol Just Kidding. I miss my LS.....in times like these but the GS is so fun to drive!
Old 11-01-15, 07:24 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LI Lexus
First off Congrats on number 2

I have a 5 year old in a High back booster behind the driver seat and a 13 month old in a bucket( soon to switch out to a rear facing convertible seat, there is PLENTY of room for both seats. The trunk easily accomidates our single city mini stroller and the bucket snap in stroller.

My only gripe is the female buckle is buried so deep in the cushioning that my 5 year old has a hard time buckling herself in. Most of the time I have to lean over her and dig for the belt to click it in.

I see your in NY not sure where, but if your on Long Island or close your more than welcome to come have a look.

let me know if I can be on any more help
Thanks!
Unfortunately i'm upstate in Dutchess County
thank you for the offer and helpful information though...

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Theres plenty of room for forward facing seats, not for rear facing seats. No joke, with our rear facing infant seats installed my wife and I physically could not sit in the front seats of the GS. And the infant seats are smaller than convertible rear facing seats.

If your kids are 2 and 4, sure there will be room, but if one of them is 0...not so much. When you only have one you can put them in the center which buys you some space, but with two they have to go behind the seats.

If you really want a sedan, there are other options. For instance Infiniti makes a Q70L which is a GS size car with a LWB version. Seats would fit well in that.
I like the looks of the Infiniti's... but the reliability of Nissans, i do not like so much.
I've had a couple, and swore them off completely.

Originally Posted by 2jS160
I have a five year old and a 5 month old and my wife can still still fit comfortably in the back with both car seats installed. I'm currently using a Recaro Performance Sport (forward facing) and a Graco Snug ride 35 (rear facing). The Recaro sits directly behind the passenger front seat using the Latch system while the Graco base is secured using the seat belt in the center. My seating position is a little more than 3/4 of the way back. The rear space does get tight when you have both seats mounted to the side. I would not recommend it for long trips with this configuration.

The trunk is plenty spacious and I have no problems getting my tandem double stroller and a weeks worth of food shopping to fit. I'm currently using the Joovy Caboose Ultralight Too for your reference.
This is exactly what i was wondering... if the infant seat could fit in the center, with the 2 year old behind the passenger side. So it CAN work. That's great news...gives me some hope. :thumb up:

I use the base thingy for the rear facing infant seat as well. So i could put that in the center, and put a forward facing car seat behind the passenger... I wasn't sure if that was possible. Thank you for that.
Do you have any pics of this handy?

Originally Posted by rxonmymind

Yeah, i'm not concerned about leg room in back for adults. On a rare occasion my wife would have to sit in the rear with baby...but that would be on short trips etc.
Longer trips, we take her car.

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Nice legs! Lol Just Kidding. I miss my LS.....in times like these but the GS is so fun to drive!
This is what i need !
not a boring SUV

Thanks for all the info everybody...

Quick Reply: Q for those of you with kiddos/strollers etc...