GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Safelite Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 03:39 PM
SR7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safelite Windshield Replacement

So my insurance company a month ago said they would let me choose anyone to get my windshield replaced but now that I am about to do it they said they only work with safelite.

I did a searche on this topic but most are outdated from 09' so wondering if anyone has replaced a leased GS350 F sport 2015 windshield recently and what there thoughts are on it..

They use OEE windshields btw...

And i believe the standard comes with the sound prevention and the rain sensors right?
Old 10-30-15, 04:01 PM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Safelite is excellent. Last summer, I had to have the windshield of my 2013 ES350 replaced and used them. Because of the electronics and rain sensors, the OEM was the only windshield available. There were no comparable aftermarket windshields. Before the install, I compared the part numbers on the old and new windshields and the were the same. Took about four hours. The total cost was about $2,300 which my insurance paid, minus my deductible. I realize that your question was regarding an F Sport, but I suspect the situation could be similar to mine with the ES. You can go by Safelite and they will give you a quote on the spot.

Regardless of who does your windshield, be sure to check the position of the wipers afterwards. I had to take the car back because the wipers were only coming to a bout the middle of the windshield when active.

In August, I traded the ES350 for a 2015 GS350 AWD F Sport (Obsidian/Cabernet) but not because of the windshield experience with my old car.
Old 10-30-15, 05:27 PM
SR7
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feedback! appreciate it
Old 10-30-15, 07:05 PM
flippd
Driver

Also had safelite 2x this past year (15 years of driving and I've only had 2 insurance claims ever -- both for windshield replacements within 3 months of each other!). First time they found Pilkington glass so that's what they used (called insurance and they said I'd have to pay the difference) and my rainsensing wipers worked fine after. Second time only Lexus glass available so that's what they used and they told insurance there were no available alternatives and I paid the same deductible.
Old 10-31-15, 07:02 AM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Safelite to replace windshield on my 13 F Sport with rain sensing feature

Was concerned that their glass wouldn't be right, but they came to my place and replaced it in about an hour and everything works fine

No issues at all

Their price $700, dealer referred me to a shop who asked $1900

I used them on two GM products in the last 5 years and no problems on those either

I'll use Safelite again if needed.

Last edited by nealb; 10-31-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-01-15, 04:09 PM
SR7
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feedback guys! ill let u guys know how it goes
Old 11-03-15, 05:59 PM
slickhoosi
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2013 GS350 F-Sport with only rain sensors on the windshield. During pre-install coordination with Safelite and my insurance the cost for OEM glass was around $1700. Dealing directly with the shop, again Safelite, they told me the OEM was to only part available and that insurance had authorized it. The install took about 1 hour and the total cost was only $700. The first time I ever saw a price of $700 was upon check out, seemed to be a pretty good deal but I feel that all of the pre-coordination work was shady.
Old 11-05-15, 10:58 AM
SR7
Driver School Candidate

so the windshield is pilkington and it doesn't have the lexus brand on it but wodering if that is okay for a leased car?I konw lexus quoted me nearly 2100 for them to replace it so i highly doubt my insurance will cover that.so would a lease return without the lexus logo windshield work?
Old 11-05-15, 11:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

That's an interesting predicament. I would almost bet that Lexus will demand that OEM glass be used. You may want to contact your dealer and find out what you need to do and have them deal with your insurance.

If you were to install lowering springs or aftermarket wheels, Lexus would want you to return the car to its original state. How is this any different?
Old 11-05-15, 11:18 AM
SR7
Driver School Candidate

so has anyone done a lease return with a non "lexus" logo windshield...?
Old 11-05-15, 11:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by SR7
so has anyone done a lease return with a non "lexus" logo windshield...?
Read THIS
Old 11-05-15, 01:43 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

That is what I was afraid of....definitely make sure they use OEM.
Old 11-05-15, 02:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
That is what I was afraid of....definitely make sure they use OEM.
It would be a real bummer to return your lease and be told that you had to replace the non-Lexus windshield at a cost to you of ~$2,000. And, of course you aren't able to use insurance because you don't have a damage claim...except for the mere fact that you were actually damaged by your insurance provider as they caused this predicament by them limiting you to use only Safelite to replace your damaged windshield with a new windshield that does not have the OE Lexus etched logo.
Old 11-05-15, 07:27 PM
SR7
Driver School Candidate

here is the problem I am having, my break wasn't a rock, i know it wasn't becuase there were no cars near me and the crack was in teh center with no chip, the break spread accrosed in 20 minutes almost 18 inches in length...

i took it to lexus and told them if anything this is a defect not a break bc you can't find a chip or explain how the center breaks outwards and nothing to explain how it hapened and he ignores it and drops the price of $2,000 to fix it.

the installer today asked me how it broke bc this breaks is so deep that only a giant rock like a boulder would do it bc in all of his years he has only seen 1 car with a break like this...and i told him the same story he said its more likely to be a defective windshield than an actual rock causing it because ur break has reached the 2nd layer of hte glass..

so now I am stuck with an issue if i do a lease return they prob wont take it back bc it isn't a lexus branded one.

any pointers on how to escalate this? whether its an insurance argument for not letting me go with lexus or to go complain to lexus and say you guys forced an aftermarket on it bc you are denying it being an actual defected window ?
Old 11-05-15, 07:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's too late now... Any chance of recourse is gone since a decision was made.

Quick Reply: Safelite Windshield Replacement