GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driveability question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 11:21 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Driveability question?

Over the past few months my '13 350 occasionally seems to hesitate when starting from a light, in a parking spot, in general no/low speed maneuvers. It doesn't do it every time, and it's not a hesitation with engine bucking, backfire, or noise. It just feels like the power takes a few seconds to come on when I hit the pedal. Sometimes. It has been interesting a few times on highway on-ramps...

At first I thought it was my accelerator technique, using the wrong foot angle, but I've been careful to apply the pedal correctly. Since it doesn't feel like the classic engine miss I was wondering if there are any other things to consider, such as transmission (hopefully a software update or something else simple) or anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-30-15, 12:49 PM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What brand gas are you using? I would do a tank or two with Chevron see if you notice a difference.

I generally use Costco Gas (top tier) and would get that same hesitation as well so I decided to try a difference brand (Texaco, same as Chevron). Pedal felt lighter and no hesitation when I stepped on the pedal. Then again it could all be in my mind.
Old 10-30-15, 01:01 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by r3dl4b3l
What brand gas are you using? I would do a tank or two with Chevron see if you notice a difference.

I generally use Costco Gas (top tier) and would get that same hesitation as well so I decided to try a difference brand (Texaco, same as Chevron). Pedal felt lighter and no hesitation when I stepped on the pedal. Then again it could all be in my mind.
I was on a 2000-mile trip last week and tried several different brands, naturally. I also added fuel system cleaner twice. Didn't notice a substantial difference.

Like you, I also thought that it was my error (or delusion), but it's become too consistent for that. Also, I have been using mostly the same gas since buying the car (new), with no issues until about 3 months ago.

Should have said before - no CEL codes, hard or soft, and I have never had any other issues wit this car.
Old 10-30-15, 01:32 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I honestly think it's these new "drive by wire" throttle bodies.

I've had other vehicles do the same thing.
Old 10-30-15, 02:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
Over the past few months my '13 350 occasionally seems to hesitate when starting from a light, in a parking spot, in general no/low speed maneuvers. It doesn't do it every time, and it's not a hesitation with engine bucking, backfire, or noise. It just feels like the power takes a few seconds to come on when I hit the pedal. Sometimes. It has been interesting a few times on highway on-ramps...

At first I thought it was my accelerator technique, using the wrong foot angle, but I've been careful to apply the pedal correctly. Since it doesn't feel like the classic engine miss I was wondering if there are any other things to consider, such as transmission (hopefully a software update or something else simple) or anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Does it happen in all Drive Modes, including when you are in Sport Mode?
Old 10-30-15, 10:26 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

normal drive mode for me does seem a little "slow" at times but not enough for me to be really bothered about it. Sport/sport plus usually solves it for me - it has actually caught me off guard at times and snaps my neck back.
Old 11-01-15, 01:48 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bclexus
Does it happen in all Drive Modes, including when you are in Sport Mode?
I don't use sport mode much, but I will try it and see if there is a difference. My main concern is that this a relatively new phenomenon, only a few months that I have noticed it.

Does anyone know if there are any known issues? I know that if I bring it to the dealer with no CELs and no consistent symptoms, there's little they can do.
Old 11-05-15, 02:20 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

I took the car in to the Lexus dealer this AM for a scan and possible updates. There were none, and there are no codes.

While I was there my service writer asked me if I am a "2-footed" driver. I am. He said that the newer cars have a computer-controlled system to prevent unintended acceleration that reduces power via the ECM when the brake is touched, even lightly, while also hitting the gas beyond a certain point, such as accelerating for a left turn, or at an on-ramp. This seems to be the likely culprit. Even though I don't actually step on the brake enough to cause friction, the brake light being on for just a second before I lift off and accelerate with the right foot must be activating this safety mechanism. The tech said it goes back to the debacle Toyota experienced a few years ago with floor mats, as well as old ladies claiming that the car "just took off by itself."

Just wanted to share this info in case anyone else was being driven crazy by this phenomenon. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-05-15, 02:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I took the car in to the Lexus dealer this AM for a scan and possible updates. There were none, and there are no codes.

While I was there my service writer asked me if I am a "2-footed" driver. I am. He said that the newer cars have a computer-controlled system to prevent unintended acceleration that reduces power via the ECM when the brake is touched, even lightly, while also hitting the gas beyond a certain point, such as accelerating for a left turn, or at an on-ramp. This seems to be the likely culprit. Even though I don't actually step on the brake enough to cause friction, the brake light being on for just a second before I lift off and accelerate with the right foot must be activating this safety mechanism. The tech said it goes back to the debacle Toyota experienced a few years ago with floor mats, as well as old ladies claiming that the car "just took off by itself."

Just wanted to share this info in case anyone else was being driven crazy by this phenomenon. Thanks for the feedback.
Your service writer was absolutely right...
Old 11-06-15, 10:31 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It drives me crazy!!! Especially the left turn thing, i know the car has way more to give, it just wont let me! I wonder if turning off traction control will change that?