GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hmmmmm Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 09:44 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
haha I haven't gotten to the point where it shows 0 on the dash. Got too scared to let it go for longer lol. My mpg dropped to a bit over 25 mpg yesterday.. all time low hmmm.. it's hard not to drive aggressively when the car is basically asking for it haha
Yeah this car begs to be driven fast. I dont know why but when I drive lesser cars like a Toyota Camry V6, Ford Fusion 2.0 ecoboost, or a 2010 Lexus GS V6 I just dont have the desire to drive fast. But once I drive a block or two in this 2014 GS my right foot all the sudden gets heavy like a anvil and cant stop flooring it. Its just so much fun to drive. Lexus hit a home run with this car
Old 10-30-15, 10:11 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't gotten to the point where it shows 0 on the dash. Got too scared to let it go for longer lol.
Your car could always be an exception, but I've found that Mother Toyota is super conservative on the range estimates. I've hit 0 many times and the subsequent fill up never came within two gallons of the published tank capacity. Figure half of that is usable and it's a pretty good safety margin.
Old 10-30-15, 10:24 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Yeah this car begs to be driven fast. I dont know why but when I drive lesser cars like a Toyota Camry V6, Ford Fusion 2.0 ecoboost, or a 2010 Lexus GS V6 I just dont have the desire to drive fast. But once I drive a block or two in this 2014 GS my right foot all the sudden gets heavy like a anvil and cant stop flooring it. Its just so much fun to drive. Lexus hit a home run with this car

lolol it's a mystery. The smooth CVT makes it feel a little like a Tesla though like when it accelerates and how quiet it is when it does.

Originally Posted by 5PM
Your car could always be an exception, but I've found that Mother Toyota is super conservative on the range estimates. I've hit 0 many times and the subsequent fill up never came within two gallons of the published tank capacity. Figure half of that is usable and it's a pretty good safety margin.
wow that's extremely conservative lol. Most cars have it so the light goes on when there are around 2-4 gallons left.
Old 10-30-15, 10:38 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
wow that's extremely conservative lol. Most cars have it so the light goes on when there are around 2-4 gallons left.
Not talking about the light, talking about the remaining range display. Light goes on when you'd expect, in line with other cars.
Old 10-30-15, 10:44 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I rarely ever get down to 1/2 tank before I fill up.
Old 10-30-15, 11:38 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
You either don't drive much or have a crush with the girl at the pump. LOL

Why do you fill up so often? Gas stations are around every corner by me so there is no need to top it off all the time.
Old 10-30-15, 12:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Originally Posted by praetor
You either don't drive much or have a crush with the girl at the pump. LOL

Why do you fill up so often? Gas stations are around every corner by me so there is no need to top it off all the time.
I guess another question that could be asked is; 'Why do some people almost run out of gas before they fill up? It's not like gas stations are 200 miles apart.' Or, another one could be; 'Why do some people not fill their tank all the way full?'

To answer your question - I noticed that the cars I've owned have always dropped quicker once the fuel gauge reaches half-full versus from full down to half. (I can usually travel 60-80 miles before the gauge needle, which is beyond full, reaches the full mark.) I just got in a habit of not liking to get below half full unless I'm on a trip, and then I rarely ever get down to 1/4 full before I fill up. And, I cannot remember the last time I got gas that I didn't fill the tank full.
Old 10-30-15, 01:35 PM
praetor
Racer

People who run out of gas in this day and age are either stupid or they got stuck in traffic or both. I once went to the gas station when some dude driving a newish C class Benz only put $10 in gas on his car. I guess times are lean. LOL

I also noticed the needle comes down quicker after the halfway point. But I just let it ride until about 1/4 tank. For me stopping by to get gas is a waste of time so I do it as infrequent as I can without being the idiot who ran out of gas.

I did pull a Kramer and try to see how far I could drive the car when it said zero range one time though. I went 20+ miles before I broke down and got gas. LOL
Old 10-30-15, 02:10 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People who run out of gas in this day and age are either stupid or they got stuck in traffic or both. I once went to the gas station when some dude driving a newish C class Benz only put $10 in gas on his car. I guess times are lean. LOL

I also noticed the needle comes down quicker after the halfway point. But I just let it ride until about 1/4 tank. For me stopping by to get gas is a waste of time so I do it as infrequent as I can without being the idiot who ran out of gas.

I did pull a Kramer and try to see how far I could drive the car when it said zero range one time though. I went 20+ miles before I broke down and got gas. LOL
Ive seen a guy in a brand new s550 roll up to gas station and fill up $20 gas....
Old 10-30-15, 02:14 PM
praetor
Racer

It's not easy own a Benzo. LOL
Old 10-30-15, 02:18 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL payments aren't easy either
Old 10-30-15, 07:30 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Apparently you dont have to be rich to own a AMG Benz or a BMW M5. Its called CPO and Tier 1 Credit or CoSigner. I know people who work at Mcdonalds that drive Mercedes, but lives with mom and puts 80% of their check to car payments! LOL
Old 10-30-15, 07:32 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Ive seen a guy in a brand new s550 roll up to gas station and fill up $20 gas....
I guess he only drives in ECO mode and keeps the A/C off?
Old 10-30-15, 10:37 PM
Flexus_GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fill up from either a 1/4 tank or close to E every time I get gas, no need to nickel and dime IMO. I've only waited for the warning light a couple of times so far and every time i was between 280-290 miles before I filled up. So consistently it seems like my range has been between 16-19 MPG and that's what the car shows as well.
Hoping I can get it to start creeping up!

In my previous car which was an MKZ with the 2.0 EcoBoost, I seen the best mileage with Costco and Chevron fuel consistently. Almost 16 gallon tank and would avg 340-360 Mi per tank so I've been feeling the difference lately with my amount of driving.

Do any of you have a preference in gasoline that you see a noticeable difference?
I know a lot of you are in various states and the brands(refineries) vary.

Last edited by Flexus_GS; 10-30-15 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-31-15, 08:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

California has regulations (like about a gazillion of them!) that require special blends of gasoline. I believe the so-called 'summer gas blend' starts April 1st and ends today, October 31st.

Quick Reply: Hmmmmm Gas Mileage?