GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Friend hit a buck on new GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 06:36 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is the link to my accident from 3 weeks ago. It doesn't look like much. Again the airbags did no go off and it was still totaled mainly because of the cost to paint a Lexus and the A pillar being cracked. I showed my mechanic a pic the day it happened and he told me it was totaled even before the adjuster looked at it. His shop does body repair too. He is the one that told me regardless of how new a car is, if the A pillar is damaged, they will most likely total the car.

It was an 07 with 99,997 miles. I got a check for 16,100.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-3rd-gen.html
Old 10-27-15, 07:41 PM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no insurance guy but I have a question. Does he have insurance anywhere close to the value of the car?

Since the car was just purchased he probably had not added it to his policy. His insurance will only provide coverage up to the most expensive car on his policy (and that's probably not as much as this 2 hour old (new) GS).
Old 10-27-15, 08:43 PM
chuck1022
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

mental note, if deer is hit, burn car to ground.
Old 10-28-15, 07:09 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Damn this sucks man only had the car for an 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was gonna say the same thing as jtrue28 looks totaled to me, airbags and frame damage. If it doesn't get totaled I would trade it in, hoping for the best for your friend.
Old 10-28-15, 07:10 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fuzzybk
I'm no insurance guy but I have a question. Does he have insurance anywhere close to the value of the car?

Since the car was just purchased he probably had not added it to his policy. His insurance will only provide coverage up to the most expensive car on his policy (and that's probably not as much as this 2 hour old (new) GS).
Not sure anywhere else but dealer requires you to have insurance before picking the car up.
Old 10-28-15, 08:25 AM
Starterman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Thanks Everyone for Feedback/Comments

Originally Posted by shurik74
Oh yea... way more damage
Lots of damage...the adjuster should be out today or tomorrow from what he told me.

Originally Posted by Predator15
I had a slight fender-bender with my 2008 Infiniti G35xS - extremely minor denting all along left side. In fact at night when it happened, you couldn't even see the damage. The cost? $7,500, including replacing one of the front headlights (which apparently were very expensive). Seeing the damage to your friend's car, I'd say $25,000 to $30,000 (but I'm no expert). I can't even imagine the under-hood repairs!

Fingers crossed for your friend ...
Thanks for your reply...I'm hoping they total it.

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Man that sucks! Just out of curiousity how many miles were on the odo at the time of the wreck? I'm thinking it's just going to get repaired but who knows how this will play out. Will check in later for an update.
Only had about 70-80 miles maybe...

Originally Posted by is300sport
if this car is leased your friend got lucky. just return it after the lease is over and not buy it.
Yes, he leased the vehicle instead of buying. This is one good reason to lease in case something like this happens and you don't have to worry about the value after the lease is up.

Originally Posted by pqn628
Here is the link to my accident from 3 weeks ago. It doesn't look like much. Again the airbags did no go off and it was still totaled mainly because of the cost to paint a Lexus and the A pillar being cracked. I showed my mechanic a pic the day it happened and he told me it was totaled even before the adjuster looked at it. His shop does body repair too. He is the one that told me regardless of how new a car is, if the A pillar is damaged, they will most likely total the car.

It was an 07 with 99,997 miles. I got a check for 16,100.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-3rd-gen.html
Wow!!! Beautiful car...sad to see them in these conditions. Can't really tell how much, if any, damage was done to the A pillar

Originally Posted by 1fuzzybk

Yes, if what you are asking are the limits? He has 50/100..more than the state minimum which is 30/60/25.

Originally Posted by chuck1022
LMAO That's is funny...the thought wouldn't have crossed my mind.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Damn this sucks man only had the car for an 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was gonna say the same thing as jtrue28 looks totaled to me, airbags and frame damage. If it doesn't get totaled I would trade it in, hoping for the best for your friend.
Yes, he called me this morning and said man I'm have a headache worrying about whether or not the car is going to get fixed. I sympathize with him and say hey its only a lease, will be gone before you know it. Or trade it or swap a lease...not sure who would take over a lease with that amount of damage (certainly not me) but hey, people buy vehicles in worse conditions from auctions so...

Thanks everyone for the comments it has helped my buddy out a lot.
Old 10-28-15, 08:37 AM
Starterman
Rookie

Another thing, not sure how insurance calculates ACV but the fact that he manage to get 9-10k off msrp would that be factored into this actual cash value?
Old 10-28-15, 09:16 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck1022
I haven't bought a pack of smokes since Reagan was president, but now Im thinking stash one in the car. Just in case, err yes sir officer Smith when I hit that deer it knocked my ciggy right out of my hand and before I knew it the whole car burst into flames.

Thanks for making me laugh Chuck.
Old 10-28-15, 10:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Starterman
Another thing, not sure how insurance calculates ACV but the fact that he manage to get 9-10k off msrp would that be factored into this actual cash value?
When you purchase or lease a new car, the moment you drive the car off the dealership lot it depreciates in value. Even if you were to decide to sell the car the next day, the car is still lower in value than the purchase or lease price. This is part of what is taken into account when insurance companies calculate ACV (actual cash value).

I'm guessing the ACV would be a minimum of $42k, and probably higher. That means the repair costs would have to be greater than $30,240 or 72% (in NC) of the ACV. Personally, I don't see the damage being anywhere near that much, but I'm only looking at a single picture. Also, I doubt there is any frame damage or pillar damage. I would be very surprised if the car is totaled, but...I've been surprised before. If this car is totaled I think it will sell quickly with a salvaged title and at a premium, and be easily repaired (in my opinion) and will be sold at auction or at a used car lot for a hefty profit.
Old 10-29-15, 06:10 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bclexus;9231429 In Texas the repair cost must be 100% of the vehicle's value.[/QUOTE]

Thats not true. If the repair cost + junk yard >= vehicles value then it is totaled. So they will see how much the car will fetch at junk yard. Just found this out few month's ago. One of my friend's Odyssey was totaled.
Old 10-29-15, 09:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
In Texas the repair cost must be 100% of the vehicle's value.
Originally Posted by chandlervt
Thats not true. If the repair cost + junk yard >= vehicles value then it is totaled. So they will see how much the car will fetch at junk yard. Just found this out few month's ago. One of my friend's Odyssey was totaled.
The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) states that a vehicle can be totaled if the cost of repair exceeds the vehicle's actual cash value (ACV), or exceeds the car insurance company's measure to declare a total loss. So state law is that the threshold for a total loss in Texas is 100 percent of the car's value.

Source 1 and Source 2, plus an infinite number of other sources.
Old 10-30-15, 03:53 PM
Starterman
Rookie

Update* right now it's about $30k to fix car and maybe more. Adjuster will be calling Monday because they are apparently close to totaling car and will ask my friend whether or not he wants the car fixed or totaled, that's all the vague details I have at this point until next week. Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 10-30-15, 03:55 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) states that a vehicle can be totaled if the cost of repair exceeds the vehicle's actual cash value (ACV), or exceeds the car insurance company's measure to declare a total loss. So state law is that the threshold for a total loss in Texas is 100 percent of the car's value.

Source 1 and Source 2, plus an infinite number of other sources.
Not sure how insurance companies do their estimate then in TX vs law... here is another example of not being 100% cost of repair vs ACV

Maybe totaled due to flood as an exception?! ACV $45K, repair $25K
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...06&RowNumber=6

ACV $43K... repair $34K
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...oadRecent=True
Old 10-30-15, 03:58 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Starterman
Update* right now it's about $30k to fix car and maybe more. Adjuster will be calling Monday because they are apparently close to totaling car and will ask my friend whether or not he wants the car fixed or totaled, that's all the vague details I have at this point until next week. Thanks everyone for your input!
As detrimental as it could be to his insurance premiums, I would vote to have them total the car. The car will never feel, drive or sound perfect to him after he gets it back.

Also the reduced value of the car, if he opts to fix it, and when you see "impact - airbags deployed" on a carfax, nobody wants it any more. This means serious issues getting a next car...
Old 10-30-15, 04:32 PM
akuma88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do alot of paper work for a repair compnay and the parts can add up quick on a lexus, specially when a certified repair shop does the work. You have to remember that they use the total MSRP of parts, they dont pick and choose which one is the cheaperst. Quick add up here, prices are rough estimates
Hood 250
Bumper 300
Both Grills 300
Foglight with cover 200
Fender 200
Wheel and Tire 600
3 air bags from what I can see 4000
Radiator 300
Core Support 400
Headlight with ballast etc. 1200
Parking sensors 2 of them at least 350

Roughly total of 7k in just big parts that our eyes can see. Remember that this does not include labor, paint and other small electrical parts that will be replaced.

Quick Reply: Friend hit a buck on new GS 350