GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Impressions after trading a '13 for a '15

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 05:00 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
Not if your car is an Obsidian Lexus, it isn't. My previous car was a mess of swirls and scratches after six week with nothing but hand car washes. It was, quite seriously, heartbreakingly bad if you care about this sort of thing. Xpel Ultimate has a 10 year warranty. Over a lot less than 10 years, I am certain my detailing bill would come to the same money or more to get anything close to the same results. Wash the car, leave it in the sun, it looks like the day you picked it up. Worth it to me.
while it will protect from scratches, you'll still get swirl marks with improper washing methods. I did the full front end and topped it off with cquartz finest. Still get swirl marks. I love OB when its clean, but gets dirty so friggin fast, and you see every imperfection.
Old 10-27-15, 08:17 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoodo
Thank you for the post and crushing my dreams.

I don't buy new cars anymore and was looking to pickup a 2013 model. I guess I have to wait another couple of years.
Meh, I'm happy with my obsidian '13 and it's probably the best car I've ever purchased (not leased). I don't have cash flowing out of my pocket that I can continue to change cars more frequently than I change my underwear, nor do I have serious OCD.

/shrugs
Old 10-27-15, 11:45 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
I did the full front end and topped it off with cquartz finest. Still get swirl marks.
Did you use 3M or Xpel? Or something else? So far the Xpel on my car de-scratches itself like magic.
Old 10-27-15, 11:55 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
Did you use 3M or Xpel? Or something else? So far the Xpel on my car de-scratches itself like magic.

Both should de-scratch themselves. I didn't bother doing too much research on this because I have no plans on getting a clear bra for my entire car, but the clear bra is made of a silicon type material I believe. For example if you've ever bought one of those "self repairing" screen protectors for your phone. Same/similar type of material except it covers your entire car. Scratches that get etched in the material slowly just fill back in. Like if you were to dip a spoon or fork into a jar of honey. Course if it's too harsh of a scratch.. then it'll just cut through the material entirely and that can't be repaired.
Old 10-28-15, 05:54 PM
Flexus_GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your post, I'm glad I went with my impulse and purchased a 15. This is my 1st V6 daily driver as well and mated to the 8 sod AT, I thought it was overkill at first but it's not too bad. The main thing I wish is the downshifts are quick as the up shifts, the delay annoys me.
I also rarely use the app except to watch my car since I haven't installed the Viper 2 way alarm yet.
We got so spoiled with our last car having remote start that I really want it again and that's the reason for the Viper, I guess the watchdog on the remote is a plus too.
I've used the enforcement app and since it has to send a signal to the car to start, make sure it's locked, etc I find it a hassle when I'm trying to get my infant ready, especially in this hot Cali weather. Not to mention the car cuts off once you open the door, so that was a disappointment right there.
Otherwise, it's a bang for the buck RWD sport luxury sedan and I'm happy!