GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Slow Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 01:01 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Navigation Slow Start

I have recently decided to not renew any XM services on my 13 GS. One unintended consequence of that decision seems to be a surprise. My slow start of the navigation system is gone. The system starts up instantly every time. I have observed it for 4 days now, and not a single slow start. Not sure if the problem is in the XM receiver, or the way the navigation tries to consume the XM data services, but it’s definitely related to XM. Lexus should really fix this problem and issue a software update.
Old 10-17-15, 02:06 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Are you describing the legalize display screen? I'd pay extra to avoid that nuisance!
Old 10-17-15, 03:25 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obadea
Lexus should really fix this problem and issue a software update.
They did, it's called they don't use SiriusXM Data Services to give traffic or weather info anymore. It's all driven by the HD Radio service now. Free for life and covers more area as well. If you want that software update you'll just have to update to a 15 or newer GS or anything that has the Gen8 infotainment system.

If you want free updates beyond that, buy a Tesla.
Old 10-19-15, 06:03 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is sad - the initial ads for the GS 350, back in 2012, were advertising the car as one that could keep up with technology (http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Ajt/2013-lex...ing-technology) - and the car, while really good, never got any useful software updates.
The one that ticks me off the most is the backup camera software wasn't updated to show projected lines that car would back up to, depending on steering wheel. Yes, I shouldn't have believed the dealership when they said that it would be a software update (and showed me that same ad again - lol) - bummer.

But yeah, they'd rather have you buy the newer model
Which is why, in my opinion, Android Auto (or the Apple equivalent), assuming it is not restricted by the car manufacturer, will be the way to go.
Old 10-19-15, 06:01 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Every Lexus Advisory Board survey I completed, I ended with: UPDATE SOFTWARE for older cars. If Lexus doesn't start thinking of itself as a software company as well, it will lose in the technology space.
Old 10-19-15, 06:40 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by obadea
Every Lexus Advisory Board survey I completed, I ended with: UPDATE SOFTWARE for older cars. If Lexus doesn't start thinking of itself as a software company as well, it will lose in the technology space.
Me too, anything that is a long-term gripe, I always tell them in the Advisory Board comments.

I think they need to go modular with the infotainment system and use replaceable black boxes that slot into a panel somewhere that is accessible to the owner. It should be like cell phones. 2 years after you buy your car, you should be able to go the dealer and get a new box, swap it in, and have the latest features and the hardware driving it.

Android and iPhone support is already in the works. The developers working on that could easily shift development to a little OEM box that is essentially a cell phone hidden under the dash.

The main problem with tech is that it moves so fast, by the time the OEM has built a car from inception (4-5 year development cycle), the hardware that goes in is ancient. A modular approach is what's needed to stay current. The engineers could design around a box that doesn't exist until it hits production thereby saving time while giving us the latest and greatest.

The display is the only piece of hardware that is critical at launch with this kind of mentality, and the '13 GS has a great display. Not wonderful, but good enough, and large. Again, borrowing parts from established tech would work here too. A big Android tablet screen that rises from the dash or is bolted in would give you amazing resolution and brightness.

I know none of this is realistic and it'll take companies like Tesla constantly pushing the tech envelope before companies that play it safe start following along, but I can always dream.
Old 10-19-15, 10:29 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
The display is the only piece of hardware that is critical at launch with this kind of mentality, and the '13 GS has a great display. Not wonderful, but good enough, and large. Again, borrowing parts from established tech would work here too. A big Android tablet screen that rises from the dash or is bolted in would give you amazing resolution and brightness.
The Android tablet screen rising from the dash is a great idea in theory, but in reality it wouldn't work due to the temperatures experienced by the car. Companies like Samsung and Apple don't engineer their products to work in extreme temperatures like that. Try leaving your phone in direct sunlight in your car on 100+°F day and you'll get a heat warning which leaves your device inoperable until it cools down.

Lexus definitely needs to step up their tech game. They seem to be quite behind, even when compared to German rivals.
My sister was interested in the new Mercedes GLC, so I looked at some features and was quite impressed. Not to mention, the services they offer are slightly better: phone app-based control of car (5 years; much longer than Lexus Enform Remote), concierge service and in-car wifi (3 months; much shorter than Lexus Destination Assist trial), emergency notification (6 months; much shorter than Lexus Safety Connect), and no-charge navigation update (3 years).

Last edited by dchar; 10-19-15 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-21-15, 07:58 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Agreed on the point that as they develop the car, the software and even User Interface becomes slightly behind. The effort required to ensure all pieces of the on-board software is working is a large undertaking - especially given the unique conditions experienced by a car (sun, heat, cold, snow, rain, vibration, stops, starts, etc).

Even a small software update to the nav or apps affects thousands of cars and requires extensive software development/testing time. Being in the software business, I understand why Toyota/Lexus would play it safe - to maintain a reputation for reliable cars with reliable technology.

Most of their interfaces are user friendly but not extremely technology-forward b/c these interfaces need to fall into the "bulletproof reliability" category that customers have come to expect from now not only the mechanics of a Lexus or Toyota, but now for the mobile UI component as well.

Typically new technology suffers from being full of unexpected behaviors that are difficult to simulate until real-world user experience defines/highlights those defects. As the old saying goes, sometimes slow and steady wins the race.