GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS450h vs Acura RLX Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 01:09 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS450h vs Acura RLX Hybrid?

When I made my purchase, Acura hadn't even crossed my mind. Even as I look back now I still would have stayed with the same decision because the price difference is too great and the Acura is ugly...

But did any of you guys look into this before? Just curious. Spec wise the RLX really isn't bad at all.
Old 10-14-15, 01:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RLX is overpriced like crazy, didnt feel that much more upscale than a TLX. Probably can get a massive discount on it
Old 10-14-15, 01:25 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

RLX was a bad car, Acura willing to go down $10K from MSRP easily.
Old 10-14-15, 06:01 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the GS is also selling for about 10,000$ off MSRP right now too. does that mean the GS is a bad car also??
Old 10-14-15, 07:27 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
the GS is also selling for about 10,000$ off MSRP right now too. does that mean the GS is a bad car also??
Yes, it's underpowered but stll not a competitor to any fwd cars though.
Old 10-14-15, 07:28 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
lolz no! talking about general
Old 10-14-15, 09:34 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

10K off MSRP is nothing. I've read about them taking $24K off MSRP on their first model year (2014): http://www.rlxforum.com/forum/acura-...er-2014-a.html

I actually was considering the RLX Sport Hybrid and the GS Q50S Hybrid. Test drove both of them as well; given this was a while back, but I'll share some thoughts.
  • Shifter was pretty stupid with buttons. I guess they tried to "modernize" the gear shifter?
  • RLX Hybrid is AWD (it feels more FWD car when pushing it) & I was looking for a RWD car.
  • The RLX interior is not even close (no real wood; only "fake" wood offered). GS interior is MUCH better. Acrua as a brand is "near luxury" but cannot compete with the big boys yet imho.
  • Seats are more comfy in the GSh and you can customize them a whole lot more.
  • RLX does not shift as smoothly
  • The suspension is stiffer so you feel bumps in the road more (even compared to the Sport+ mode in the GS450h).
  • Infotainment wasn't at ituitive for me & also I read about problems with it hanging up/freezing on occasion.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-15-15, 08:40 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
10K off MSRP is nothing. I've read about them taking $24K off MSRP on their first model year (2014): http://www.rlxforum.com/forum/acura-...er-2014-a.html

I actually was considering the RLX Sport Hybrid and the GS Q50S Hybrid. Test drove both of them as well; given this was a while back, but I'll share some thoughts.
  • Shifter was pretty stupid with buttons. I guess they tried to "modernize" the gear shifter?
  • RLX Hybrid is AWD (it feels more FWD car when pushing it) & I was looking for a RWD car.
  • The RLX interior is not even close (no real wood; only "fake" wood offered). GS interior is MUCH better. Acrua as a brand is "near luxury" but cannot compete with the big boys yet imho.
  • Seats are more comfy in the GSh and you can customize them a whole lot more.
  • RLX does not shift as smoothly
  • The suspension is stiffer so you feel bumps in the road more (even compared to the Sport+ mode in the GS450h).
  • Infotainment wasn't at ituitive for me & also I read about problems with it hanging up/freezing on occasion.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
haha, was actually hoping that you'd post since I figured you probably looked into the option beforehand. I just really didn't like the design and the going prices for the 2014s were significantly more expensive.

The AWD on the RLX sounded nice, but isn't a deal breaker for me.
Glad you mentioned the interior. The GS interior looks nicer on the pictures than the RLX anyways.
I don't have the luxury package so no crazy customization on the seats probably a good thing though or i'd end up spending too much time trying to find the perfect spot.
I read some of the reviews on the RLX and some of the people said that it was one of the smoothest cars that they've driven, but idk. I've never driven one before.
I like having everything on one screen instead of the two screens they have. Looks more cluttered.

Last edited by Prinny; 10-15-15 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 09:27 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Acura's interior just doesn't feel like a luxury car like Lexus does. It's too close to the Accord side. Especially now that Honda is beefing up the Accord and Civic styling and interior, the Acura line up will take a big hit.
Old 10-15-15, 11:28 AM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never saw the RLX hybird in person. Dealership never had any when I stopped by and I guess it was too hard to call me when they got any in (or I didn't look like I could afford that car). Sitting in a regular RLX, it was nice. They got rid of that stupid rotary dial for NAV address input. It felt like a bigger ES.

The problems with it were the interior felt kind of clunky and there was a problem with getting a heated steering wheel or cooled seats (I forget what). Also no windshield de-icer (like our cars have - had it in the Lincoln LS and loved it).
Old 10-15-15, 11:58 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Acura's interior just doesn't feel like a luxury car like Lexus does. It's too close to the Accord side. Especially now that Honda is beefing up the Accord and Civic styling and interior, the Acura line up will take a big hit.

About time lol, but I guess that means they'll have to add on to their Acura line up as well too. The Accord and Civic styling used to be so bland and the interiors were so sparse. The more recent ones actually aren't that bad. Spent a good amount of time riding in a friend's 2013 Accord
Old 10-15-15, 06:41 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Based on acurazine forum reviews, 2016 RLX hybrid is totally different animal compare to 14-15 model year, they modified/improved suspension which makes a big difference!

http://acurazine.com/forums/third-ge...rlx-sh-936189/

I have both 14' GS350 Fsport RWD & 15' RLX advance P-AWS and I would say that GS is giving better driving experience and better interior quality. RLX is very specious inside though. I really want to test drive 16' hybrid model though....
Old 10-15-15, 07:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I always thought the RLX would compete with the LS and S and 7 Series. TLX with GS and E and 5 Series.
Old 10-15-15, 09:26 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by shurik74
Based on acurazine forum reviews, 2016 RLX hybrid is totally different animal compare to 14-15 model year, they modified/improved suspension which makes a big difference!

http://acurazine.com/forums/third-ge...rlx-sh-936189/

I have both 14' GS350 Fsport RWD & 15' RLX advance P-AWS and I would say that GS is giving better driving experience and better interior quality. RLX is very specious inside though. I really want to test drive 16' hybrid model though....
Thanks for sharing that link shurik74. It was an interesting read.

Maybe I'll have to make my way to an Acura dealership and try out the 16' for myself as well.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-15-15, 10:08 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I always thought the RLX would compete with the LS and S and 7 Series. TLX with GS and E and 5 Series.
I thought the same but for some reason all major car magazines put RLX into lower level...

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Thanks for sharing that link shurik74. It was an interesting read.

Maybe I'll have to make my way to an Acura dealership and try out the 16' for myself as well.

~ Im2bz2p345
Very welcome... I always tell everyone that just a test drive is not enough to get final decision if you like it or not... for me it takes minimum 3 days to test a new vehicle to say "I would love to buy or not..."

Note: I've been with Acura family for last 10 years but latest models don't make me happy as used to Last June sold my 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD 6-speed which was an awesome car in every angle, still miss it though...

Quick Reply: GS450h vs Acura RLX Hybrid?