GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dash Camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 12:44 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tamermido1
Do you guys have recommendations on good cameras? brands or models?

Honestly.. just read through this thread lol. People have posted plenty of links. If you aren't convinced by the links.. then compare it with reviews on Amazon. That should be more than enough.
Old 10-12-15, 02:14 PM
Voogru
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tamermido1
Do you guys have recommendations on good cameras? brands or models?
I have been using Blackvue cameras personally, with good results.
Old 10-12-15, 02:17 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Voogru
I have been using Blackvue cameras personally, with good results.
Did you have by chance BlackVue New 2 Channel DR650GW-2CH ? If yes, what would be your word, buy or not to buy?
Old 10-12-15, 02:53 PM
Voogru
Driver

Originally Posted by shurik74
Did you have by chance BlackVue New 2 Channel DR650GW-2CH ? If yes, what would be your word, buy or not to buy?
Mine is the 600 I think. I had another blackvue before that, which I used for about three years. The only reason I changed it was because a customer wanted a dash cam, then backed out and didn't have the money, so I upgraded mine and still have the old one which still works.

It has been reliable, my only complaint about it, is the bitrate is kind of low, so in areas with a lot of trees or detail it can get blocky.

But the application I'm using it for (getting out of tickets), it's fine.

Last edited by Voogru; 10-12-15 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 03:14 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine is the 600 I think. I had another blackvue before that, which I used for about three years. The only reason I changed it was because a customer wanted a dash cam, then backed out and didn't have the money, so I upgraded mine and still have the old one which still works.

It has been reliable, my only complaint about it, is the bitrate is kind of low, so in areas with a lot of trees or detail it can get blocky.

Thank you Voogru for details
Old 10-12-15, 03:43 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
Aw that doesn't help my cause very much then haha
That's why u need to tap it into something that's always on. I'm just too scared to mess with the wirings.
Old 10-12-15, 06:45 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out this site will help you folks with all the dashcam questions:

https://dashcamtalk.com/

And some pricing info:

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/
Old 10-12-15, 10:22 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That's why u need to tap it into something that's always on. I'm just too scared to mess with the wirings.
ugh too late for me . Plus that dash cam is way pricey.
Old 10-13-15, 07:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Figure out what I got pulled over for. - YouTube
I'm actually curious why he pulled you over you were going the speed limit unless it was a 25mph area.
Old 10-13-15, 07:28 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 64 Posts

Wondering if you could install a USB power bank within the powerline? It would charge as the car is on and still pass the voltage through, but then remain on until the battery ran out of power (would think it would last hours). You would just need to make sure it only ran at 5v.

One other question - how long is the wire needed if you run from the review mirror area, down the A pillar to the power plug in the center dash? I have a 10 ft cord and it is too short.
Old 10-13-15, 09:14 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Also if any of you guys are serious about buying the bluevue 2 channel + Power pro. You can get it for a bit cheaper here for a limited time.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvu...%28Inactive%29

Last edited by Prinny; 10-13-15 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 11:08 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marjenmill
Wondering if you could install a USB power bank within the powerline? It would charge as the car is on and still pass the voltage through, but then remain on until the battery ran out of power (would think it would last hours). You would just need to make sure it only ran at 5v.

One other question - how long is the wire needed if you run from the review mirror area, down the A pillar to the power plug in the center dash? I have a 10 ft cord and it is too short.

They have the UPC (uninterrupted power control) to do that. You tap 2 or 3 wires to battery and forget about it, the dashcam will get power when ever engine running and 12 to 36 hours after engine stop depend on your setting. Newer dashcam models have power cut off built in so you won't need external UPC.

Here is mine installed 1 UPC for 2 dashcam:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...for-my-gs.html
Old 10-13-15, 12:33 PM
Voogru
Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I'm actually curious why he pulled you over you were going the speed limit unless it was a 25mph area.
Speed limit 45.

He pulled me over for tint, then as he came up to my car "well your tint looks like its too dark but now that I'm getting close...it's probably okay"

I deliberately got belligerent with him. "Well, thanks for wasting my ****ing time then.".

It didn't end well (lol @ extra tickets), but it all went away thanks to the camera. Fun watching the judge give the cop dirty looks as he reviewed the video after the cops testimony. The cop had other cases scheduled that day and I wonder if I should have stuck around to see if the judge threw those ones out too out of spite.

WORTH IT. (but won't do that again)

Last edited by Voogru; 10-13-15 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 12:36 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Speed limit 45.

He pulled me over for tint, then as he came up to my car "well you're tint looks like its too dark but now that I'm getting close...it's probably okay"

I deliberately got belligerent with him. "Well, thanks for wasting my ****ing time then.".

It didn't end well (lol @ extra tickets), but it all went away thanks to the camera. Fun watching the judge give the cop dirty looks as he reviewed the video after the cops testimony.

WORTH IT. (but won't do that again)

Yeah best not to do something like that again lol. Time not well spent
Old 10-13-15, 12:38 PM
Voogru
Driver

Originally Posted by Prinny
Yeah best not to do something like that again lol. Time not well spent
I pretty much knew what I was getting into. I did get enjoyment out of going to court and just watching what the judge did.

The speeding citation later on, I said two words.

OK.

OK.

Quick Reply: Dash Camera