GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking to Upgrade to a GS from my ES350

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 09:23 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Looking to Upgrade to a GS from my ES350

I am considering purchasing a '16 GS350 or F Sport over my current '13 ES350. From what I can tell the GS has more HP and torque as well as some nice technology features. But what I am more interested in is ride quality and quietness.
How much difference is there between the GS350 and the F Sport? Does the F Sport have a harsh ride or is it comparable to the regular GS?
Is quietness about the same as well?
Unfortunately no '16s are out yet but how do you guys feel about the quality of the 4 gen GS over the earlier GS's as my 2008 ES seemed to be a better car than the current gen of ES's.
Anything else you can tell me about the differences would be appreciated. I will probably take a look at the '15's this weekend just to compare but really am more interested in the '16's.
Old 10-08-15, 09:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lamikela1
I am considering purchasing a '16 GS350 or F Sport over my current '13 ES350. From what I can tell the GS has more HP and torque as well as some nice technology features. But what I am more interested in is ride quality and quietness.
How much difference is there between the GS350 and the F Sport? Does the F Sport have a harsh ride or is it comparable to the regular GS?
Unfortunately no '16s are out yet but how do you guys feel about the quality of the 4 gen GS over the earlier GS's as my 2008 ES seemed to be a better car than the current gen of ES's.
Anything else you can tell me about the differences would be appreciated. I will probably take a look at the '15's this weekend just to compare but really am more interested in the '16's.

I've had a ES and a luxury pkg '13 GS and the GS ride is a bit stiffer but nice.An F-Sport will be a bit harsher.You really should test drive one because ride quality is very subjective.Make sure the dealer has the right tire air pressure.Dealers usually have higher pressure in tires which causes a harsher ride.
Old 10-08-15, 10:02 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

The GS is a very different car as far driveability compared to the ES. I had a few '14/'15 ES loaners that I took on long drives. The first feeling I get after driving in the ES is that the car is way more floaty and everything seems to be extremely soft -- particularly steering and suspension compared to the GS.

The GS also feels more planted and ready to take a turn or be driven aggressively which I attribute to the rear-wheel drive biased in the AWD model I have and the tire/suspension setup. To me, the GS has the right balance - it can be soft spoken and easygoing or an aggressive loudmouth depending on your mood that day

I test drove a premium, luxury and f-sport GS before my purchase. Felt that f-sport was a tad too harsh but both the premium and luxury hit the sweet spot for me as far as comfort and driveability. Ended up buying a premium version although I agree with most other posters that the luxury package seats are some of the best seats offered in a Lexus to date.

With your interest in the 2016 GS's, the addition of the turbo will throw another option into the mix as there will be a bunch of different versions of the car you might need want to test drive.
Old 10-08-15, 10:22 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you enjoy getting from A to B, you will love the GS. If you want to get from A to B, the ES is fine.
Old 10-08-15, 11:07 AM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with AJLEX19, coming from a 2011 ES 350 myself, and having a AWD luxury. The Luxury gives the best of both worlds in my opinion with some added amenities you don't get on a Fsport and no tire stagger ... be sure to study stagger tire replacement cost.

Study the differenced between the models carefully and drive them all. Don't just read about the them, make sure to see and experience everything ..... AVS controls differences, seats, glass, environmental controls, audio, etc. and pay particular attention to amenities between them.
The GS is a very cool car and great to drive .... be it just tooling around town or some aggressive play time I get the evil eye from the wife .. hey hey

Last edited by MH6; 10-08-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 12:03 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by MH6
I agree with AJLEX19, coming from a 2011 ES 350 myself, and having a AWD luxury. The Luxury gives the best of both worlds in my opinion with several added amenities you don't get on a Fsport and no tire stagger ... be sure to study stagger tire replacement cost.

Study the differenced between the models carefully and drive them all. Don't just read about the them, make sure to see and experience everything ..... AVS controls differences, seats, glass, environmental controls, audio, etc. and pay particular attention to amenities between them.
The GS is a very cool car and great to drive .... be it just tooling around town or some aggressive play time I get the evil eye from the wife .. hey hey
Same here - if i throw the car into sport mode and wifey is riding with me, I get that look lol

Also agree with you that going to a GS Luxury version sitting on the stock Michelin's will be the easiest transition for someone used to the ES feel. Nothing beats a few, well placed and lengthy test drives though!

Last edited by AJLex19; 10-08-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 12:18 PM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Same here - if i throw the car into sport mode and wifey is riding with me, I get that look lol

Also agree with you that going to a GS Luxury version sitting on the stock Michelin's will be the easiest transition for someone used to the ES feel. Nothing beats a few, well placed and lengthy test drives though!
Drive em.
LOL .... " ... the look" ... the signal to push the AVS control to normal ! LOL

Last edited by MH6; 10-08-15 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 01:41 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

My kids loved the extra leg room in the rear seats of our ES loaner. Very comfortable for longer drives. The ES is a sweet cruiser in its own right. Like watching a documentary on TV - interesting, slower paced, you end up being relaxed when the credits roll.

But the GS is like a Summer Blockbuster Action movie.
Old 10-08-15, 02:30 PM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is on the money with the differences in feel and ride in the ES vs GS. I recently went from an 09 ES 350 last month to a 13 GS 350 and it was like night and day in every way. Don't get me wrong I loved my ES and had it for almost 3 years but when I test drove the GS I was like, "Wow"! It just has an overall better feel and you're more one with the road and whats better then that 12.3" display and all the other cool gadgets. I'm very happy with the transition into the GS, if you make the jump to the GS, you will not regret your decision.
Old 10-08-15, 03:21 PM
Mrjosef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamikela1
By any chance, I'm interested in having the 18'' wheels you have. Any way to buy them?
Old 10-08-15, 03:30 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

My FSport GS with 19" wheels can still float in Normal mode. S+ mode turns this car into a track car.
Old 10-08-15, 05:55 PM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by LexLuthors
Everyone is on the money with the differences in feel and ride in the ES vs GS. I recently went from an 09 ES 350 last month to a 13 GS 350 and it was like night and day in every way. Don't get me wrong I loved my ES and had it for almost 3 years but when I test drove the GS I was like, "Wow"! It just has an overall better feel and you're more one with the road and whats better then that 12.3" display and all the other cool gadgets. I'm very happy with the transition into the GS, if you make the jump to the GS, you will not regret your decision.

As they say " This is the GS ... from this car forward, there is no going back to anything less ! "
Old 10-08-15, 06:21 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

To me, the ES is still the "old" Lexus. The GS is the first Lexus designed for the younger generation.
Old 10-09-15, 11:42 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

WOW!!! Thanks for all the great feedback on the GS lineup.

When I make my decision I will probably go with a fully optioned GS as I really like all the technology built into the car. If it's a "drivers" car that suits me just fine as that is really what I am looking for. BTW, I am also looking at a new Camaro ZL1 so that may give you an idea of where this is going. The problem with the Camaro is that I am not sure of the quality of that car but I know that I can count on an ES or GS. I won't have 580 horses on tap but the refinement and quality is well worth it.

I will drive each model before making a decision for sure. Also I was a bit concerned about the cost of staggered tire replacement as MH6 suggested (go figure as the cost to replace the tires on a ZL1 would be astronomical). I really like the styling of the F Sport but from what I can tell some of the F Sport options can be added to a Lux. I really need to take a good look at the options once the 2016 pricing is available. Based on what I see in stock for the '15 models I'll probably need to special order this car as I would be lucky to find one in Liquid Platinum with all the options that I want.
Old 10-09-15, 11:47 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrjosef
By any chance, I'm interested in having the 18'' wheels you have. Any way to buy them?
I may be but I don't have another set to replace them with. These are the Lexus 18 inch wheels that came on the car from the factory. They are pretty nice looking. Are you looking to swap or buy them outright?

Quick Reply: Looking to Upgrade to a GS from my ES350