GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ECO MODE shutting down AC system fan???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 09:42 PM
landolexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECO MODE shutting down AC system fan???

Would appreciate the advice of our expert forum members!

So, long story short. Car is barely two months old. Drove to Seattle, WA yesterday and came back the same day. Only thing I did differently is drive there in ECO mode the whole time to test gas mileage. Not bad, took about a quarter tank and averaged 26.8 MPG.

Problem occurred on the drive back. The AC fan would not work. The fan itself, whether AC was ON or OFF would not blow air. Yes, I tried everything. I pulled over to the side of the road and it had nothing to do with AUTO settings or anything wonky going on. I know itʻs not rocket science, but it wasnʻt an oversight on my part.

The only way I could get the vents to blow any air was I had to turn the air flow setting all the way to, two below max. Then and only then a little bit of air would flow. Then I got back to Portland, parked my car for an hour, went back to it. And voila, on the 1st setting the fans blow. Then going to work this morning. Fans would not blow until I kicked it up to the 3rd air flow setting. This is all on manual air flow adjustments, no AUTO mode. Took the car into shop, tech said it worked fine, but when I got it back it wasnʻt working at all. Once again had to hit 3rd position on air flow speed setting. Took it back down to the shop and tech popped open the glove and removed air filter and just as we thought, fan was dead still. Fan did not move until 3rd or 4th bar on fan speed was hit.

Now as I drive home, and this was all in NORMAL mode. Vent fans seem to be working fine. Doesnʻt matter what mode Iʻm in??

WHAT GIVES??! Tech and service guy were pretty puzzled. They said theyʻd investigating further. Didnʻt believe me till I demonstrated it for them. Iʻve attached photos of what the manual says ECO mode does. It does say it affects fan speed, but I canʻt believe it makes it stop and not work at all. Especially since it was working fine for two months. And it didnʻt matter which drive setting the car was on.

Thank you for your assistance!!!

False Alarm. Darn. They had an identical GS in there that they mistook for mine. Wrong customer. Said they were troubleshooting some weird issue for that car too. Oh well...and the wait goes on. Will update as soon as I know.

UPDATE > Well...they said they couldn't recreate the issue or technically troubleshoot it until the problem reoccurs. So I guess I'm going to have to cross my fingers and hope it simply goes away. We'll see...
Attached Thumbnails ECO MODE shutting down AC system fan???-screen-shot-2015-09-24-at-9.25.55-pm.png   ECO MODE shutting down AC system fan???-screen-shot-2015-09-24-at-9.27.12-pm.png  

Last edited by landolexus; 09-25-15 at 05:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-24-15, 11:49 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like you might have faulty wiring or a faulty fan. I drove from socal to norcal this past weekend on ECO mode with the AC running the entire time. I had no issues with it stopping. As a matter of fact, I drive ECO mode everyday and it get hot here in LA and my AC has not given me a single problem.

Sorry this doesn't help your situation, but good luck to you.
Old 09-24-15, 11:58 PM
landolexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dphu626
Sounds like you might have faulty wiring or a faulty fan. I drove from socal to norcal this past weekend on ECO mode with the AC running the entire time. I had no issues with it stopping. As a matter of fact, I drive ECO mode everyday and it get hot here in LA and my AC has not given me a single problem.

Sorry this doesn't help your situation, but good luck to you.
Appreciate the response! Good to hear that youʻre able to drive in ECO all the time w/o the weird issue Iʻm experiencing. At least this way I know others are using ECO mode with no adverse effect to the fan.
Old 09-25-15, 08:25 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In my now-departed '13 I ran ECO specifically to slow down the fan, which always seems to blow too hard in AUTO mode. My new '15 doesn't seem to have this issue.
Old 09-25-15, 11:00 AM
xWildBillx
Driver School Candidate

I drive my '13 in ECO 98% of the time and never had the A/C stop blowing. Sounds like an intermittent fault with your car...
Old 09-25-15, 11:02 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup, bring it in.

The Lexus waiting room has a fresh pot of free coffee.
Old 09-25-15, 12:08 PM
landolexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5PM
In my now-departed '13 I ran ECO specifically to slow down the fan, which always seems to blow too hard in AUTO mode. My new '15 doesn't seem to have this issue.
Sounds about right. ECO should "slow" fans not stop them outright. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-25-15, 12:09 PM
landolexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xWildBillx
I drive my '13 in ECO 98% of the time and never had the A/C stop blowing. Sounds like an intermittent fault with your car...
Right? AC or Fans do not blow when it's acting up. Funny thing is, sometimes it does work. It's intermittent. That's gotta be a fault somewhere in the electrical.
Old 09-25-15, 12:10 PM
landolexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Yup, bring it in.

The Lexus waiting room has a fresh pot of free coffee.
And donuts!