Base Audio vs Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 06:57 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Base Audio vs Mark Levinson

Hi Folks,

I'm on the SC430 forum, and have decided that it is time to let my SC430 go and pick up a low mileage 4th gen GS350. The RC350 is a little pricey for me right now. My SC430 has the ML sound system, which I love. I'm a musician and sound is important to me. Will I be happy with the base sound system in a 2013-14 GS350 or should I restrict my search to those with the ML? I'm an hour from the nearest Lexus dealer, but I will make the trip to answer the question for myself, but since I was sitting at the keyboard anyway.......

Thanks!
Old 09-23-15, 07:07 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

If you're one to appreciate good sounds, I'd definitely go for the ML. It sounds great.
Old 09-23-15, 08:24 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

U need to sit in both vehicles and listen to each system for urself. What's good to others' ears may not be good to u.

I've had both the base audio and now ML system. To me the ML lacks bass and I'm all about da bass. It does, however, sound clearer to me at higher volume with no distortion. Watching DVD movies with full surround in the ML a blast! But for FM radio it lacks bass. XM sounds bad. I play my music from my iPhone via Bluetooth streaming and I still can rattle my door at higher volume.
Old 09-23-15, 09:00 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks so far. I'm not the kind to crank the bass - but I do want clarity and good surround sound imaging, and that's where the ML system is outstanding.
Old 09-23-15, 09:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Then I think u'll be happy with the ML. The clarity is really good with this system.
Old 09-23-15, 09:13 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the base system and I have been totally satisfied with it so far. I think it sounds impressive for a base sound system, lots of other manufacturers' base systems sound like crap. In all of my past cars I have installed aftermarket systems, if that tells you anything about the type of sound I am looking for. I don't have the ***** to tear this thing apart and put in an aftermarket system, or let someone else do it.

I bought mine used, and if I had found a comparable car with the ML I probably would have gone that route. I have never heard the ML so I can't say for certain. But like I said, I think the base audio has been great so far and I am satisfied. ML probably couldn't hurt, though.

FWIW I am also not a bass-heavy person.
Old 09-23-15, 09:30 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The base system is very good. I had the premium JBL system in my old Camry and the GS base system can easily match or surpass it.
Old 09-23-15, 09:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Mr. FilyO likes his bass lol.
But I agree, what it lacks in oomph it makes up with excellent quality. There's more than enough bass for my aural needs. It's a very clear system. High quality MP3s and movies sound phenomenal. I keep Avengers in the drive to show off what 17 speakers sound like.
Old 09-23-15, 10:03 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Mr. FilyO likes his bass lol.
But I agree, what it lacks in oomph it makes up with excellent quality. There's more than enough bass for my aural needs. It's a very clear system. High quality MP3s and movies sound phenomenal. I keep Avengers in the drive to show off what 17 speakers sound like.
All about da bass, no treble!
Old 09-23-15, 10:48 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ML hands down !!
Old 09-23-15, 11:07 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I have had a 13 GS with ML and now have 15 GS with Premium. The ML is far superior in sound quality. The premium sounds a bit better with low quality feeds, like xm.

I prefer the ML that I use to have.
Old 09-23-15, 01:53 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the type of deal and cost of the car. I wouldn't pay too much extra for just the ML alone. I find that a lot of the used GS cars out there already have the ML. Heard that the ML has reliability issues long term? Not entirely sure about that though. Didn't have that much of a choice when I purchased my car, but if you're stuck with the base premium.. then you can always just upgrade later on down the road if you really don't like it. That's what I plan on doing anyways.
Old 09-23-15, 01:57 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I had a '01 GS430 with the ML system (had to change the subwoofer after it blew). I thought that sounded pretty good (although distorted at higher levels) for that time. My dad has an '11 GS350 with the mark levinson pkg and I think it sounds great especially at higher volumes everything is crystal clear with almost no distortion.

I have a '13 GS with the non-ML, standard system and I think its comparable to my dad's 3GS's Mark Levinson system. For me, the 4GS's standard audio is great so I can only imagine that the ML system improves upon any little distortion and makes an audiophile even more pleased.

Truthfully, I don't know if any stock system is worth the $1400 bucks they add as an option but since you're potentially looking for a used one with the ML it may be worth it. I would save my $$$ on the ML and if i hated the stock system, spend a couple hundred bucks to upgrade the system (with quality aftermarket stuff like JL audio of course).
Old 09-23-15, 02:24 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't have ML but I'm happy with my non-ML base system. It still booms just enough without cracking the windows or disturbing the neighbors (I don't live in the hood), clear enough that it doesn't sound like a hissy cassette and I saved a little extra in my wallet too.

Either way, you'll need to keep the volume down, so you can listen for the metal clicking noise coming from the engine around 40k miles.
Old 09-23-15, 03:40 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I don't have ML but I'm happy with my non-ML base system. It still booms just enough without cracking the windows or disturbing the neighbors (I don't live in the hood), clear enough that it doesn't sound like a hissy cassette and I saved a little extra in my wallet too.

Either way, you'll need to keep the volume down, so you can listen for the metal clicking noise coming from the engine around 40k miles.
what is this?

Quick Reply: Base Audio vs Mark Levinson