GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Engine coolant coming out of reservoir cap?

Old 09-14-15, 06:07 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts
Exclamation Engine coolant coming out of reservoir cap?

I was cleaning my engine bay today and noticed there was some coolant in the reservoir tank area, it looks like it's coming out from the cap. The cap does have another hose that isn't connected to anything, just for overflow I guess and I did see dry coolant inside that hose too, so it must be coming out of there and there was some underneath the cap also.

I cleaned it up and warm up the engine and did some revvings and all seems well. No leak whatsoever. Weird.

Do they check the coolant at the oil change service? Maybe they overfilled my reservoir tank?

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 09-14-15 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 07:10 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Engine coolant coming out of reservoir cap?

Same thing happened to me a few months back, but nothing became of it... Maybe took a corner too hard? Lol
Old 09-14-15, 07:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Same thing happened to me a few months back, but nothing became of it... Maybe took a corner too hard? Lol
Guilty! I've been trying to drift in the parking lot at work.

Hey I noticed some dried coolant crumbs fell inside the reservoir tank, u think it'll be fine? The paranoid side of me is kicking in again.
Old 09-14-15, 08:52 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe they top off all fluids whenever you bring in it for service... I kind of remember reading that when I first bought my car, but my memory is pretty crappy
Old 09-14-15, 09:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yes but I don't think ur suppose to top off the reservoir, there is a line for Max and Min and when I checked, mine was a little over the Max I think. Maybe they filled it up to the lid and that's why it was spraying out.
Old 09-14-15, 09:28 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

possibly. i would say check with the service dept but they're probably not gonna remember a thing
Old 09-14-15, 10:03 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Probably over filled it during service and it came out.
Old 09-14-15, 10:05 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

No worries about the crumbs that fell in the tank? It won't clog the system right?
Old 09-15-15, 12:43 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's possible they spilled while topping off.
Old 09-15-15, 05:40 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Engine coolant coming out of reservoir cap?

Idk for sure but I'd assume if the crumbs do enter the cooling system, the temperature increase should re-liquify it real quick.
Old 09-15-15, 07:03 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
No worries about the crumbs that fell in the tank? It won't clog the system right?
You should be okay. A few crumbs won't hurt nothing. But then again what do I know, I'm no mechanic.
Old 09-15-15, 08:10 AM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The overflow tank servers a dual purpose. It not only catches coolant, but upon engine cooling, there is a tiny valve in the radiator cap that allows the cooling vacuum to pull coolant back into the radiator/engine. If the cooling system is full, no coolant will be accepted during the cooling cycle.
Your reservoir level should be the lowest when the engine is cool, and at the max mark when the engine is hot. If it was filled over the max line when the engine was cool, the tank might overflow when the engine is hot.
A bad/tired radiator cap will allow more coolant to escape when hot, thus overflowing the tank. If you continue to see your reservoir overflow, have your radiator cap checked or replaced.
Old 09-15-15, 08:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rijc99
It's possible they spilled while topping off.
Yea I think that's what it was on the cap area. But it was also shooting out coolant from the overflow hose.

Originally Posted by yardie876
Idk for sure but I'd assume if the crumbs do enter the cooling system, the temperature increase should re-liquify it real quick.
Originally Posted by Sevn86
You should be okay. A few crumbs won't hurt nothing. But then again what do I know, I'm no mechanic.
Yea I think the crumbs will melt when it's hot again.

Originally Posted by ITDude
The overflow tank servers a dual purpose. It not only catches coolant, but upon engine cooling, there is a tiny valve in the radiator cap that allows the cooling vacuum to pull coolant back into the radiator/engine. If the cooling system is full, no coolant will be accepted during the cooling cycle.
Your reservoir level should be the lowest when the engine is cool, and at the max mark when the engine is hot. If it was filled over the max line when the engine was cool, the tank might overflow when the engine is hot.
A bad/tired radiator cap will allow more coolant to escape when hot, thus overflowing the tank. If you continue to see your reservoir overflow, have your radiator cap checked or replaced.
I will keep an eye on this as I go. Hopefully it's just an overfill. There was no coolant on the radiator cap area though, so I think I'm good!

Thanks guys!
Old 09-15-15, 03:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

OK botton line...

The coolant overflow bottle cap sucks.. The seal allows fluid to leak..
Plus that hose is terrible.. Its short & spills all over the bottle and fan shroud.

End rant !!
Old 09-15-15, 06:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
OK botton line...

The coolant overflow bottle cap sucks.. The seal allows fluid to leak..
Plus that hose is terrible.. Its short & spills all over the bottle and fan shroud.

End rant !!
I agree! The coolant was all over the area, it was a mess. What were they thinking when designing this engine bay?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine coolant coming out of reservoir cap?