GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Should I buy the Car?
Yes
10.53%
No
89.47%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy A Damaged/Repaired 2013 GS450h?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 08:08 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Where did he say it has a salvage title? As best as I can tell, all he knows is that it has been in an accident with no knowledge of how bad it was damaged. I think some of you have not read his posts carefully enough.
I read it pretty carefully. If you'll look again carefully at it you'll notice he said it's a Cat-D titled car.

OP, keep in mind insurers may turn down Cat D branded cars or cover them at a premium. It's not worth it in the long run if you have to pay extra for insurance year over year.

Last edited by rijc99; 09-03-15 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 08:38 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Never buy damaged goods, it usually comes with a lot of headaches too. This goes for everything in life by the way. Used and damaged are 2 different things.
Old 09-03-15, 08:47 AM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy A Damaged/Repaired 2013 GS450h?

What I would do if I were you is I would ask the garage selling the car if you could take it on an extended test drive over night, or possibly two nights. Then while you have the car take it to a trusted mechanic and have him give it a thorough look over and have him tell you if it's worth the price of admission or not. It may cost you a couple hundred to have it checked out but another shop, but it could save you in the long run, especially if they find any issue with the vehicle.

Just tell the seller you like the vehicle but you have some concerns about it since you don't know what has been repaired, how extensive the damage was, or the quality of the repairs and you'd feel more comfortable with an extended test drive to make sure that it'll work out for you in the end.
Old 09-03-15, 12:33 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Would steer clear from this example as well. Carry on and save your pennies.
Old 09-03-15, 03:04 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Where did he say it has a salvage title? As best as I can tell, all he knows is that it has been in an accident with no knowledge of how bad it was damaged. I think some of you have not read his posts carefully enough.
I agree. I think the other members here are just being a little too conservative. Take it to an independent mechanic and have them check it out before you purchase. If it checks out, try to negotiate the price down another £3000. While £5000 may not be worth the risk, £8000 off would be a great deal.

For the Yanks in the thread here's the CAT-D definition:
There are four levels of damage used by the insurance industry to describe cars that have been involved in accidents [in the UK]. These levels, or categories as they're more commonly known, are labelled as A, B, C and D.

Cat A is the worst of the four. Vehicles in Cat A cannot even be used for salvage and should be crushed.

Cat B cars may be broken down for spare parts.

Cat C cars can be fixed, but the repairs alone will cost more than the car's market value.

Cat D cars can be fixed and the repairs will cost less than its market value. However, the insurance company's decision to repair it is dependent on more than the cost of the repairs.
Source: http://www.whatcar.com/car-advice/ru...cat-d-/3487412

Here's a fairly objective article that outlines the pros and cons of purchasing a CAT-D car: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ites-offs.html
Old 09-03-15, 05:31 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm actually all for savings by buying slightly used (not damaged though!), quality cars. The GS450h is one amazing vehicle - you cannot go wrong in your choice my friend.

My thoughts are with hube though - considering it's a hybrid, there is so much MORE than can go wrong with it than a traditional gasoline only vehicle.

Not many mechanics/repair understand the intricacies of a hybrid vehicle and considering this vehicle is labelled has having gone through a "major damage," I would continue to save up and find one that meets all your specifications and has a CLEAR title (possibly a slightly higher mileage one if you're looking to save $$).

Considering that you drove your previous car so many miles and like to keep cars for a while, don't sacrifice for an inferior product that you may regret later.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 09-03-15 at 05:36 PM.