GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New brake pads installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 07:28 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you for sharing your experience, vinnier6. Brake dust has always been a concern for F Sport owners.

Originally Posted by bclexus
The front brakes are responsible for 75% - 80% of the braking. That is why the front brakes are larger and always wear quicker.

Do you want to be able to stop quick enough to avoid an accident entirely...or just get slowed down enough before impact that the damage hopefully doesn't cause injuries or death?

I will ALWAYS use the OEM brake pads for a street driven car.

Compared to the OE brake pads:
How do those aftermarket brake pads perform when cold?
How do those aftermarket brake pads perform when hot?
How do those aftermarket brake pads perform after repeated braking?
How do those aftermarket brake pads perform when wet?
How do those aftermarket brake pads perform from [say] 80 mph to zero?
How do those aftermarket brake pads perform before they are heated up?
All valid questions and I agree. Brake dust reduced but were these pads tested for our car as the OEMs were? I used to work in an R/D department. For every new product we set up all kind of extreme tests to put the product through. These tests were developed and updated as we get feedback from current customers on how theirs failed. Some of these are way more vigorous than any normal working conditions that the product may be in. We also test over an extended period. No doubt Lexus and other guys have their own extreme tests esp. when it comes to braking. Brake dust is significant but I personally agree with you and rather not change my pads. The unknown risks are significant for me to think twice.
Originally Posted by sam430
Has anyone slammed on their brakes lately and think we need a brake upgrade? You probably benefit with wider wheels and tires instead.
My mind wandered off the other day and when I woke up, I realized that the traffic in front of me was not moving, I stepped on the brake as hard as I could. My car came to a complete stop. Then I heard the beeping noise and wondered what it was. It was from the park assist. And I was in red zone. A smallest change could have got me into a rear end accident.

Last edited by 1111GS; 09-03-15 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 10:01 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can offer is after driving my car all week with the c max gold pads is the brakes are every bit as good in the performance department as the oem....minus the dust of course
Old 09-03-15, 11:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I'm wondering what cars would be on a list that you would not consider installing aftermarket brake pads. Maybe Corvette, LFA, Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari, McLaren, Jaguar, Audi, BMW, etc., etc.? Why the Lexus GS 350?
Old 09-03-15, 02:15 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm wondering what cars would be on a list that you would not consider installing aftermarket brake pads. Maybe Corvette, LFA, Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari, McLaren, Jaguar, Audi, BMW, etc., etc.? Why the Lexus GS 350?
You're asking the wrong question. It's not the car but the driving style and purpose of the vehicle that should be discussed.
Old 09-03-15, 02:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by praetor
You're asking the wrong question. It's not the car but the driving style and purpose of the vehicle that should be discussed.
So, how is the driving style and the purpose of the GS 350 different from how Lexus designed it, where the car would need aftermarket brake pads instead of the OE brake pads the Lexus engineers thought it should have?
Old 09-03-15, 05:15 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

I think some folks are over analyzing the whole thing...,the only thing I am missing out on is the dust,,,
Old 09-03-15, 06:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vinnier6
I think some folks are over analyzing the whole thing...,the only thing I am missing out on is the dust,,,
Sorry, but you absolutely do NOT know that... ... ... ...

You are aware that about a year ago it was decided to phase out the Duralast Gold C-Max brake pads beginning in early 2015? Maybe there is still some NOS out there...
Old 09-03-15, 06:46 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Sorry, but you absolutely do NOT know that... ... ... ...

You are aware that about a year ago it was decided to phase out the Duralast Gold C-Max brake pads beginning in early 2015? Maybe there is still some NOS out there...
Can I have some of your glue
Old 09-03-15, 07:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vinnier6
Can I have some of your glue
Just trying to clear things up...
Old 09-04-15, 06:24 AM
praetor
Racer

So, how is the driving style and the purpose of the GS 350 different from how Lexus designed it, where the car would need aftermarket brake pads instead of the OE brake pads the Lexus engineers thought it should have?
It's a commuter car. The end.
Old 09-04-15, 06:27 AM
praetor
Racer

OK, I'll add a few more tidbits. Big brakes aren't designed for you to stop faster in case you get into a jam and need to stop suddenly. Big brakes are designed so you can take corners with maximum speed and brake as late as possible so you could carry corner speed.

Now how many of us are racing our GS350 on the track?
Old 09-05-15, 08:09 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Larger brakes disapate heat better then smaller brakes....that's most of the battle with brake systems...overheating the fluid and rotors and pads....

Final update of 1 week of commuting mixed highway/city and baseball practice and school drop offs...

Washed car yesterday and wheels were just about as clean as the backs....no large cloud of brake dust when I hit the front wheels with the hose...

Like I have said before, braking performance for my day to day driving is as good or better then oem pads....no squeaking, no rusting to the rotors after washing...no negatives that I can see to using the ceramic pads...

I should have taken a side by side of both pads, it was clear to me that the c max gold is a higher quality pad.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinions....is is my second time swapping oem pads out for these and I am 100% satisfied with the results...glad I didn't wait till the car actually needed brakes
Old 09-05-15, 08:14 AM
carlos3319
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post! I'm thinking of switching mine to Akebonos, but as far as brake pads part number, auto zone doesn't show that pad as compatible? did you get it in store?
Old 09-05-15, 09:42 AM
Leonboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your info and feedback. I'm gonna give a try. ��
Can please confirm on part number and application thanks.

Last edited by Leonboy; 09-05-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 10:44 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carlos3319
Excellent post! I'm thinking of switching mine to Akebonos, but as far as brake pads part number, auto zone doesn't show that pad as compatible? did you get it in store?
I used the part number listed for the 2014, they didn't list any pads for the 2015 yet....all of the gen 4 gs models can use the same pads...

I used DGC1586....

If you look at the akebono list on tire rack and you put every combo of awd/rwd f sport/non f sport, they list one pad...ACT1118....

Quick Reply: New brake pads installed